can a hacksaw cut coil springs?

Turbo Brian

What do I type here?
my rear springs need a trimmin' and i have a hacksaw. also have a lightduty cutoff wheel that may work better/faster. whatcha think? will either work? i dont have a torch cutting thingie.

I wouldn't cut the springs. Kill you ride, kill your handling, and if you cut them with a torch, might even kill yourself.

LOL! im not cutting the eibachs. this is for another car (moog springs). and its a single pigtail spring. the top is trimmable.

Greetings,

A good spring steel is usually very, very difficult to cut with a hack saw, and any significant heating of the steel may alter its temper, so torching the spring usually isn't recommended. The best bet is probably to grind through the steel at a slow rate so the material doesn't get very hot.

Best,
MAP

Anybody with a steel chopsaw could do it in a minute or less

you could spend 65.00 on the right springs .........just a thought and it would eliminate any saftey issues

What are the right springs?

I need a 2" drop.

My Moogs only brought me down an inch or so.

I am also thinking about cutting mine...

Originally posted by gn4u2c
you could spend 65.00 on the right springs .........just a thought and it would eliminate any saftey issues
:rolleyes: thats the dillemma. there are no "right" springs that will lower the car like i want. i got what i want on the gn with the eibachs but this other car is a driver and i dont want to spend anymore money than necissary. i already shelled out $130 for hotchkis front springs so i dont have to do any cutting on those. fronts are a b!itch and i dont want to mess with those anymore than necisarry. those plus my $45 rear will save me money in the end. if you can tell me exactly what moogs will give me what i want, please tell me. ive looked at all the charts and read/saw what other people have done to get the moogs "just right" and inevitably it involves cutting.

Originally posted by SPEEDY TY
I wouldn't cut the springs. Kill you ride, kill your handling, and if you cut them with a torch, might even kill yourself.

You could also yell fire in a theatre based on hearsay :)

trimming springs is not an unsafe thing to do. Proper end placement in the control arm & frame, proper cutting tools and proper spring rate for the ride height are important.

I've cut multiple springs for g-bodies with a torch, with a cutoff wheel, and have had zero problems. And I drive 85mph alllll the time to commute to work.

Brian, which Moogs are you starting with?

Signed...
-Those with experience

Yes the cutting wheel will work fine, just don't cut too much and don't heat up the spring or try cooling it with water. If it gets too hot to hold, cut on the other spring till its hot then grab a beer till they cool off:cool: