You can type here any text you want

Can anyone help me

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gatorace

Hi to all,
New member here, sorry if i am in the wrong forum. My inlaws recently gave us an 87 GN that i want to restore. here are my questions.
1.The car crrently has a Kenny Bell motor( needs rebuild) but we also the original motor (also needs rebuild) long term value, am i better staying with the factory.
2. Anyone know any high quality restoration shops in the Tampa Fl area.
3. Here is the hard one, The car has chrome front bumper, grill and headlight trim, chrome rear bumper and tail light trim. Also has solid gray interior and Asrto roof. Since i am brand new as a GN owner, i think my first step is to find out if it is really a GN and not a altered Regal. I attached the vin and option sticker, so if anyone understands these stickers please help.
I would also like to know how many are out there like this one, my inlaws are comvinced it is one of the more rare models? i honestly dont know.
Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Gatorace

vin #.jpg

Looks like a Regal not a GN, but that is not a bad thing. It did come with the LC2 motor, GN motor. It also has the G89 posi track rear end.

Its not a GN, but it has the same engine/trans. A free turbo Regal...hell yeah !! Lets see some pics

Bryan

Hi to all,
New member here, sorry if i am in the wrong forum. My inlaws recently gave us an 87 GN that i want to restore. here are my questions.
I would also like to know how many are out there like this one, my inlaws are comvinced it is one of the more rare models?

GatoraceView attachment 169669

You really should give your inlaws a 1/2 hour to draw a crowd and then kiss their butts' in a big store window!:p

You're a lucky couple.

Thanks so far, maybe part of my confussion is this.
I know all Regals are not Grand Nationals, but i am not clear if all Grand Nationals are Regals, are they 2 different cars?

This car has the Gn badges ( original from dealer) on the front fenders ( with the letter T below it) and also on rear spoiler.
Also has A red T on the steering wheel.

It's a Turbo Regal. Same body, driveline, and performance as a Grand National.
Turbo Regals came in a multitude of different colors. Grand Nationals (which are also Turbo Regals) only came in black. It's somewhat common to see owners attach Grand National emblems to their Turbo Regals.

Post pics!

thats a 87 gn. if thats the correct vin#

Do your homework. VIN's do not designate whether something is a GN or Turbo T/T-Type, etc. The VIN will only designate whether it is a Turbo Regal.

There is no WE2 code on the RPO sticker, therefore Not a GN. But rather a Turbo Regal. But like many said, this is not a bad thing.

Do your homework. VIN's do not designate whether something is a GN or Turbo T/T-Type, etc. The VIN will only designate whether it is a Turbo Regal.

There is no WE2 code on the RPO sticker, therefore Not a GN. But rather a Turbo Regal. But like many said, this is not a bad thing.
Not arguing here but didn't the vary last run VIN actually show it was a GN, like the last six months of production in 87

The VIN shows many things, like where it was built and so on, and will also tell you whether or not it has an LC2 motor. Whether it's a GN or not, NO.

First things first.

1 - Does your wife have any single sisters?
2 - If 1 = true; do her parents have another black Turbo Regal they might give me if I marry her?

What's next?
you're going to jsut stop in 7/11 for a Slurpie, and decide on the spur of the moment to buy a $1 scratch off lottery ticket and hit the million dollar jackpot?

You're one lucky s.o.b let me tell you.

As previous posters have pointed out - you have all the right options; well except for the WE2 (Grand National) or WE4 (TurboT).
Your car is a..well..that is debatable - as technically Buick did not offer the "T-type" in 1987, but called it a "T".
But most of us refer to the WE4 as the true "Turbo-T'
So call it what you will.
A Grand National it is not though. But very close.
And it must look a little silly with both the "T" fender emblem as well as the Grand National emblems.
Take those Grand National emblems off the fenders and get 200 bucks on ebay.
Silly how some people will slap those on any black turbo regal

Some interesting, and desirable options you DO have are:
LC2 Turbo charged engine - duh
G80 - Posi traction rear end - important
Y56 - Gran Touring (suspension)
VD6 & VD7 - Interesting; Aluminum bumper supports normally found on a We4
CF5 - The power moonroof option which some people consider rare and quite desirable vs T-tops
AR9 Reclining bucket seats - Std with T package

You don't say what the paint is like on this car, or if it has any rust issues, but if not, this car is a keeper.
Well, they all are really

But a black Turbo T, with the blackout pkg and with the chrome bumpers, is a very nice combination, and I'm betting it has grey interior, which makes it as close to a WE4 as you get.

Here is the VIN decode, which only tells you that you have a 1987 Regal, with the turbocharged engine option

Manufacturing Country (USA)
G
Manufacturer (GM)
Division (1=Chevy, 2=Pontiac, 3=Oldsmobile, 4=Buick, 5=GMC, 6=Cadillac)
G
Series (G body)
J
Sales/Option level (J = Regal, an M here indicates a Regal Limited; K supposedly indicated a T-Type or GN, but wasn't used in 1987)
Body Code (2 Door Coupe)
Restraint System (manual belts)
Engine Code (LC2 3.8L SFI Turbo)
Check Digit (any number can appear here)
H
Model Year (B = 1981, C = 1982, D = 1983, E = 1984, F = 1985, G =1986, H =1987)
P
Plant Code (Pontiac, Michigan)
Actual Serial/Production Number (all Regals)

Part I of your SPID label (RPO) label

A01 Soft Ray Tonted Glass Windows
AR9 Front Bucket Seats; Seats, - Reclining Bucket; European Style seating

BD1 Rocker Panel Molding Delete; Exterior Molding Rocker Panel; DELETE
BS1 Accoustical Insulation Package
BV8 Black Outside Door Handle; Exterior Door Handle & Lock Cylinder; PAINTED
BW3 Exterior Window Trim; PAINTED
BX5 Exterior Molding; Roof Drip Guard; Painted
B24 Black Quarter Glass Reveal Molding; Exterior Side Window Molding, Painted
B71 Wheels Opening Molding - PAINTED / Colored
B72 Black Door Reveal Molding; Exterior Molding Belt Reveal - PAINTED / Colored
B77 Black Windshield Reveal Molding; Exterior Molding Windsheild Reveal - PAINTED / Colored
B79 Ornamentation; Rear End; Black Deck Lid Molding
B81 Molding Bodyside - DELETE
B89 Black Rear Window Reveal Molding; PAINTED
B94 Body Emblem, VAR 1; T-Type Fender Name Plate
CD4 Windshield Wiper 2-Speed; With Low Speed Delay Feature
CF5 Power Astroroof, Electric Sliding
C18 Black Windshield Wiper Arm & Blade
C60 Air Conditioning; Manual
D35 Mirrors, Outside Rear View; Left Driver's Side Remote - Right Side/ Passenger Side Manual
D55 Floor mounted Console, Full Length, Operating; (AR9,AQ9 Seat)
D71 Gear Assembly Speedo Driven; (#25524925) (appears to be required with analog speedo)
E5Z Adapter speed delete
FE3 Sport Suspension System
FFL Flint, Michigan; Fisher Body Plant #1; BOC
GMD GENERAL MOTORS
GU6 3.42 Ratio Rear Axle; No Charge
G80 Limited Slip Differential; Positraction
G87 8.5 Inch Ring Gear
J41 Brakes - Font Discs, Cast Iron Rear Drum Brake
J50 Power Brakes, Front Disk
KO9 120 Amp Alternator
K34 Cruise Control; Automatic Electronic Cruise Control

Part II of your SPID label

LC2 3.8L (231 CID) SFI Turbocharged V6 Engine With Intercooler
MW9 200 Turbohydromatic Transmission
MX0 THM 200 4R; Automatic Transmission with Overdrive
NA5 Federal Emissions Equipment
NP5 Leather Wrapped Sport Steering Wheel
NQ5 Deluxe Steering Wheel Horn Cap
N33 Tilt Steering Wheel
N89 Aluminum Turbo Wheels; (1986 Only)
PON PON Pontiac plant
QYH Tires; P215/65R15 Steel Belted Radials; White Outlined Letter
TL6 Black Grille
TL8 Exterior Hood Moldings; Black Hood Molding
T47 Commercial Body Provisions; Turbo Hood
T83 Black Headlamp Bezels; Headlamps Special; Headlamp Trim, Painted
T93 Black Taillamp Bezels; Lamps, tail and stop special; Taillight Trim, Painted
UQ1 Provissions For Stereo Equipment
US6 Antenna, Fixed; Painted
UX1 AM-FM Stereo Radio; Cassette-Equalizer Stereo; ETR With Seek and Scan, Auto Reverse Cassette; Radio; + Graphic Equalizer + Clock
U23 Trip Odometer; Speedometer With Trip Odometer
U66 Radio Speakers, Extended Range, Dual Rear; 4 speaker system
VD6 Front Aluminum Bumper Reinforcements
VD7 Rear Aluminum Bumper Reinforcements
VK3 License Plate Front Mounting; Mounting Package
V73 Plate Inscription (Vehicle Statement USA/Canada)
W02 Exterior Sport Package; With Blackout Mouldings
YT9 Build up Door and Quarter Panel; Door and Quarter Design (Fisher)
Y56 Gran Touring package
19U Primary Color; Lamp Black
6YX 6YX - Front Spring - Left; Front Driver's Side Spring Rate
7YW 7YW - Front Spring - Right; Front Passenger's Side Spring Rate
8PZ Rear spring - Left; LH Rear Spring Rate
82B Rear spring - Right; 9HP - RH Rear Spring Rate
82I Component RR LH, Computer Selected Suspension
829 Component RR RH, Computer Selected Suspension
9SJ ???

And what silly dealer installed those GN badges?
I guess they'll do whatever you ask them to do..but...cmon now.
Some things should be sacred.

You also asked about the rarity of your car / combination

I beleive this model falls into the build category as follows;

Base Regal w/Turbo

However, as I mentioned - the combination of Turbo, Black, Some chrome, W02 blackout moldings; Moonroof - you don't see them every day that's for sure.
As to particular build numbers of this combination - there is no telling exactly.
But don't get confused with those dualing fender emblem thing.
It's not real, and it's not some one of a kind.

This is a rare car!!!! Black WO2 black out trim car. They stopped making these to make the WE4. Very awesome.

LOL...
and they stopped making all of them to make ...ummm...something less desirable.

Are you saying the factory would refuse an order for a Lamp Black, base LC2 equiped TR; with W02; Y56 and G80 options after Dec 1986?
I'm not so sure about that.
Because, if I am not mistaken, the We4 package was introduced to the dealers in Dec 1986.
I'd have to investigate the date code of the build to see when it was put together.
It's not like they were all built on spec.
I think someone at a dealer got smart and ordered one the right way, and built the next closest thing to a We2 or WE4.
Or perhaps an original owner, since there was a rush on at the end for the We2's.
But I'm sure the manual adj. AR9 Charcoal Grey seats were becoming in short supply once the We4's started running down the line.

I do believe there was actually a short time when the WE4 package had chrome bumpers, so as to leave the GN as the only "all black" TR.
But I can't ever nail down that factoid to any specificity.

I wonder if it has a front ornament?
I can't recall if regular TR's (non WE2 or WE4's) in 1987 had hood ornaments.

Back