can't get cam sensor set right

gn dennis

Well I have been trying to set my can sensor. Am using the Caspers tool and cant get to light. I have the drivers side valve cover off. I think I have the set to 25 ATDC, plug the tool in cant get light to come on. What am I doing wrong? I have set this cam sensor before with no problem. Thanks Dennis

assuming cap was recently working ..remove the cap and plug it into the casper tool.... if it doesnt light up the 9V battery in the tool is dead

assuming cap was recently working ..remove the cap and plug it into the casper tool.... if it doesnt light up the 9V battery in the tool is dead
The tool works good, I pulled the can sensor out of the car hooked to sensor, to the best of my knowledge the cam sensor is good. So going to reinstall sensor and try again. I will report back later. Thanks much

The tool works good, I pulled the can sensor out of the car hooked to sensor, to the best of my knowledge the cam sensor is good. So going to reinstall sensor and try again. I will report back later. Thanks much
Well im lost I pulled the cam sensor out ran the flex plate 360 deg.set the mark 25 deg past tdc had a good light car would not start. it did not back fire it would act like the timing we a little to advanced. so do I need to run the flex plate around 2 or just 1 time to get the engine on TDC? Thanks

Take the # 1 spark plug out and turn the crank bolt with a ratchet and socket. 1 1/8 bolt I believe. Put your finger on the spark plug hole until you feel pressure and watch your timing mark and line it up 25 ATC. That’s your initial setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I jam a paper towel ball in the #1 plug hole and bump the key, you'll know when it's on compression stroke.

Let us get some more background other than cam sensor won't set.
Was it running when you took the cam sensor out? This cam sensor is the same one or different?
What do we have for fuel pressure at the rail?
What does the plug look like after you spin it over and pull it? Wet with fuel?
While it is out does it have spark when cranking?
Lots of variables here.

Let us get some more background other than cam sensor won't set.
Was it running when you took the cam sensor out? This cam sensor is the same one or different?
What do we have for fuel pressure at the rail?
What does the plug look like after you spin it over and pull it? Wet with fuel?
While it is out does it have spark when cranking?
Lots of variables here.
Fuel pressure is 40 lbs at fuel rail, car was running when I pulled in garage,
yes it was running when I pulled cam sensor out, I had to change the turbo locked up, plugs are wet with gas, it does seem to have spark. as far as I know cam sensor is original. Thanks Rick one other thing I reset timing with casper tool, had a light car would not start. I loosened hold down bolt tried tuning cam sensor both ways. Car would try to start but would not and did not make any change in sound. would seem to fire on just one cylinder.

Make sure that the dot on the cam sensor gear is aimed in the same position as the pig tail harness on the cap towards the driver's side headlight if you are on the compression stroke of cylinder #1, at 25 degrees ATDC. Take the cap off when you set the cam sensor. Aim the open window towards the drivers side headlight, then put on the cap, then check it with the Caspers tool.

Make sure that the dot on the cam sensor gear is aimed in the same position as the pig tail harness on the cap towards the driver's side headlight if you are on the compression stroke of cylinder #1, at 25 degrees ATDC. Take the cap off when you set the cam sensor. Aim the open window towards the drivers side headlight, then put on the cap, then check it with the Caspers tool.
I thought the dot was aimed at the passenger side?

Correct sorry. The dot should be lined up with the notch that is on the platform that the cam sensor cap sits on. Which is the back of the cap, not the pigtail harness.