Can't keep IC hose on TB under 27+ Boost.

KEVINS

The IC hose just won't stay on when boost gets above 27psi.
I just put on new hoses and T-bolt clamps tonight and tightened them down goooood! Up to around 27psi it's all good. When I up the boost to 29psi the hose won't stay on the TB..:mad:

I have a couple of ideas:
1. Can/Has anyone weld a larger lip on the end of the TB so the hose has something to grip?
2. Has anyone created a mechanism to pull the up-pipe towards the TB to keep it from moving away from the TB?

There was mention in the below post that using a stiffer hose helps, and I think this is a good idea but a stiffer hose may not grip the TB good enough either..o_O
http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/up-pipe-keeps-blowing-off.381417/

Help...:(
Kevin

Yea that was the thread I posted man. One thing I saw that might help you out is these Wiggins clamp (clamshell clamps). They look pretty serious and would prolly help you out in your situation. Just a thought.

Yea that was the thread I posted man. One thing I saw that might help you out is these Wiggins clamp (clamshell clamps). They look pretty serious and would prolly help you out in your situation. Just a thought.

I've never heard of them.. I'll have to look into them!

Im not sure bro, cant get over 25 pounds of boost with mine

I couldn't get over 25psi either and it was because the pressure inside the exhaust housing was pushing the WG flapper open. I added an extra spring to my wg and that cured it. Although, right now I think it's not enough spring pressure to hold it close around 30psi so I'm going to shorten the spring some more to add more tension to it.

ks

Yea I hadn't either, but I guess accufab makes some. They are a lil more pricey than the T bolt's I just ordered, but it sounds like you've got a serious motor so it might be a good investment at this stage in the game ya know?

Try a thicker hose where the intercooler and bottom of the up pipe meet because if that one is too thin, it will allow the upper one to blow off easier since the lower one is thin and bends easier. Anything thick doesnt bend as easy as something half its thickness. So that will definitely help "stiffen up" the ability to bend at the lower one, thus allowing the tb end to not be able to blow off as easy. Hope that makes sense to someone...I almost got lost in it myself:confused:

plus the hairspray trick sounds solid

Spray some hair spray on the pipe, slip on hose and tighten clamp. Should be good. Something like aqua net is good. I ran about 38 psi a few times.

Try a thicker hose where the intercooler and bottom of the up pipe meet because if that one is too thin, it will allow the upper one to blow off easier since the lower one is thin and bends easier. Anything thick doesnt bend as easy as something half its thickness. So that will definitely help "stiffen up" the ability to bend at the lower one, thus allowing the tb end to not be able to blow off as easy. Hope that makes sense to someone...I almost got lost in it myself:confused:

That makes good sense. I'll have to see where I can find a truck shop around here..

thnx!
KS

Constant Torque clamps there Stainless Steel and about $5.00 a piece most Truck/Diesel parts shops will have them. If your hoses got oil on them it will not matter what your using they need to be clean otherwise they will fall off.

Race part solutiions is right down the street from me in boca raton florida. I go over there about once a month. They sell all kinds of stuff. But I think their hoses are still a little too thin. I have some of theirs and they are 3 ply opposed to 4 or 5 ply. Nice quality but still a little thin imo. I made an great 3.5" cold air intake kit for less than $100 with just stuff from them. Came out really nice and works great. LMK if I can help p/u something for you over there if you need something.

Dave

Silicone intake systems has the best prices on hoses i can find. Great quality as well

Brake clean surfaces, install T-bolts style clamps.. no issues.

Its typically oil on surfaces or using worm style clamps that causes the issue.

Must make a nice POP sound when it lets go.. :D

Brake clean surfaces, install T-bolts style clamps.. no issues.

Its typically oil on surfaces or using worm style clamps that causes the issue.

Must make a nice POP sound when it lets go.. :D

Yea, I did the Brake Clean and wiped everything off before installing them. I didn't want to take any chances of it coming off agan but that still happened.
After blowing the head gaskets a few weeks ago I damn near cried when the IC pipe blew off again, thinking the HG's went again!!
Right now I lowered the boost :( and zip tied the rear clamp to the vacuume block to help hold it in place until I get a boost brace designed. If I'm successful in designing one I'll post pics.

I'm also going to talk with a buddy of mine and see if he can weld a bead around the lip of the TB. This should cure the issue but I still want a brace on it for safety.

ks

See my post #15 in this thread: http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/up-pipe-keeps-blowing-off.381417/

Make sure the TB and hose are clean (of course), little hair spray wouldn't hurt, slide fully onto the TB, and install T-Bolt clamp. Make sure a little bit of the end of the hose sticks out past the clamp (see the photo in the post - notice that a little bit of the hose sticks out past the clamp on the TB side, also on the up-pipe side). Makes sure the lip on the end of the up-pipe is extended past the clamp (you can see where the end of my up-pipe is in the photo - past the clamp). You shouldn't need to torque the crap out of the T-Bolt nuts - torque them enough that the clamp digs into the hose just a bit.

I've been those same hoses for going on ten years, never had to replace one, never blew one off, etc.

Good Luck,

See my post #15 in this thread: http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/up-pipe-keeps-blowing-off.381417/

Make sure the TB and hose are clean (of course), little hair spray wouldn't hurt, slide fully onto the TB, and install T-Bolt clamp. Make sure a little bit of the end of the hose sticks out past the clamp (see the photo in the post - notice that a little bit of the hose sticks out past the clamp on the TB side, also on the up-pipe side). Makes sure the lip on the end of the up-pipe is extended past the clamp (you can see where the end of my up-pipe is in the photo - past the clamp). You shouldn't need to torque the crap out of the T-Bolt nuts - torque them enough that the clamp digs into the hose just a bit.

I've been those same hoses for going on ten years, never had to replace one, never blew one off, etc.

Good Luck,
Thanks for the on going help.. Did all that (except hair spray) but it still won't stay on and there's not much left of my hood liner.. I'm going to see where a truck stop is and see if I can find some of those semi truck hoses.

I'm making some progress on designing a boost brace...

;)
ks