Car audio receiver / iPod player options...

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
Looking for a new stereo for my boat, needs to be an FM receiver and be able to play iPod. I've seen a few that have a slot to plug the entire iPod into or iPhone and play Pandora. This is appealing because it would appear that this would allow it to charge at the same time, rather than having an AUX input and having chords everywhere to keep iPod/iPhone charged.

Anyone have any recommendations for one and other options I may be interested in? Don't really need a CD player, that would just be a bonus, CDs tend to skip anyway on rough rides, my boat is a flat bottom comp ski boat so it ain't kind in rough water.

Thanks

pioneer,alpine,clarion,jvc all have models that will fit your needs.i run all four of these makes in my cars and of course i sell them.check out the respective manufacture web site ti see which models you like.the usb and cd mechanisms in all the units are very good now.your desision will most likely come down to your personal preference on the design and model features.my advice is theres no need for a marine specifi model unless you boat is used in salt water.focus on a good water resisent face cover.

On my boat the steroe is located under a flip cover which is actually the arm rest, so its in a protected spot already from the water and such.
I haven't purchased an after market stereo since....geez, I guess the one I put in the GN which is no longer in it as it has the stocker back in there now..so at least 15 years+ so I kind of lost touch with all the new capabilities. I see some cool features on some of these decks but not something that will do me much good in the boat like the bluethooth and phone stuff.
Thanks for the tips....back in the days Alpine and Kenwood were the receivers of choice for quality. My Dodge truck came with an aftermarket Pioneer MP3/CD/XM but has no inputs for an iPod so I may replace it as well.

Rob im partial to my kenwood excelon, x994 but you can do the newer version x995 or the non cd version.

You can plug in direct for charge and ipod control or stream just about anything via bluetooth . I do alot of both, and stream the pandora on the iphone app itself. Basicalliy, you can stream anything you want with the iphone, ipad, or ipod touch or any bluetooth device to the radio but the radio does charge and have direct ipod/iphone control over the music. Or even a memory stick.

Feel free to shoot me n email if you want me to shop around. I got mine for 225 brand new and was their top of the line. Im sure others are similar, but i just thought the kenwood was simple as it had direct control.

X2 for the Kenwood.

I have a Kenwood in the GN and I have always bought Kenwood. I don't remember the model # but it has iPod controls and it changes the phone at the same time. It also has a aux jack in front.

Tanks for the info John, I'll check out those models. I was always partial to Kenwood as well back 25 years ago. I like the idea of being able to dock the phone/ipod directly to the receiver, one less chord being strung around to trip over or pull ipod off into floor or water, so whatever I get I think I want that feature, I see one in the Crutchfield from JVC thats's that way..not that I'm buying it from there but a catalog came in the mail Saturday :)

Crutchfield actually had my same reciever at the time for about the same amount of money < $250. Sound quality wise, the Kenwood seems to be pretty good - it was their top of the line deck - which I can't believe what you can get for <$300. We are talking about your boat and not an all out stereo system eh? I check stuff on ebay all the time and pay close attention to who's decks have what and how may refurbed auctions there are (indicating potential future problems). Many of the decks nowadays have pretty much the same features - I just haven't used them enough to know if they work pretty much the same streaming wise.

I liked the kenwood because it had the simple ipod control I liked and the 1 cable hanging out the back for it. The bluetooth streaming is just a great piece of technology though. Alpine makes an ipod only deck that also looks pretty good. I don't remember if it had the same type of bluetooth though.. the model numbers start with IDA-X100 through 300 i believe.

Good luck.

Kenwood and Sony are very good to.look for a stereo with a wireless remote (handy on my boat) mini aux in and USB on face.$175 nowadays will get you these features.

We are talking about your boat and not an all out stereo system eh?
It will be probably as much stereo as an all out car stereo, just not as concerned about overall sound quality since its outside you won't tell much difference. Have a couple of amps under the seats and a total of 12 speakers, dual batteries so it can play with the engine off and not have to worry about not being able to start.
No subs since those usually chew up the battery power.