Car stalls at random!!!

1chance

Friend of mine has a 85T-Type, and I cant figure out why it shuts off! Just riding along it cut off, sometime s it start back up, and then sometimes it wont. Let it sit a day or so It fires back up! Crank it up, idle for a few min and shuts off. I got it to show me a code one time using the paper clip trick, and It was 42, and 32 I think. Parts that have been replaced (EST) near FP relay, Coil packs, FP, Fuel filter. Could it be the ignition moduel under the coil pack? Cam sensor? Help!!!!!

Code 42 and your description means coil module. Time to drop the 84/85 ignition and upgrade to the 86/87. Brad

Code 42 and your description means coil module. Time to drop the 84/85 ignition and upgrade to the 86/87. Brad

Not sure of the mods on the car, but the wires coming out of the plug for the coil pack have been changed. Like gray&red wire spliced to a yellow. Think it's been changed, or up graded?

I will not be able to check my car out until tomorrow night. Can someone else chime in sooner? Brad

Hooked a 87 module to the car, and it plugged right in, does that mean it's been changed? Installed a new ECM, still wouldnt crank. Then today it cranked! Cant get it to show me a code, When the SES light come on it shut right off, but It wont show a code. Think I need a new Chip, It seems to have a stock chip. Will a Scan Master work on these Hot Air car??

did you get the adapter plug for the ignition module i didnt at first and fried crank sensor and theres also a wire you have to run from bulk head to coil plug

Will the crank sensor show the same signs? Do TT make a chip for the Hot Air cars? Maybe the guy who sold the car is still on here that can give me some history on the car. Its a 85 black TType, with the stock wheels, burgandy interior, floor shifter, think it came from around SC. Boost gauge inside, oil gauge under the hood.

conversion

Hey ya have to get 86-87 ecm tt chip 86-87 ignition module coil and adapter plate ya also have to run a wire from the bulk head to an adapter plug that you have to buy from i think caspers is where i got it . BUT i have been having problems this whole time i cant get the car to start when its damp and cold . i just ripped all the stuff out so me and you are at square one . But thats all the stuff you need to get

no start

If you hooked up 86-87 ignition coil and module without the adapter plug you fried your crank sensor that i am almost 100 percent sure of becaue the negative and positive wires are reversed ( i did the same thing). Also yes they make a tt chip for your car . Brad Padgett has been helping me out with my car and has been extremely helpful to me .

Will the crank sensor show the same signs?

based on my experience, a bad crank sensor can have the same symptoms, for sure. I don't recall it throwing any codes when mine was acting up, so it ended up being a bit of a gamble when I had mine replaced, but we had exhausted several other ideas.

Is it possible that the fault codes are un-related to the stalling?

my 84 did a whole bunch of squirrelly things and i have the 87 ecm, tt, scan master, etc, and 90% of my issues were a broken bolt that holds the AC compressor/ accessory bracket to the block. apparently this bolt was used for the ecm ground....got the broke bolt out, new one in and it ran like a new car...hope this helps.

Do some reasearch by reading the sticky and using the search function, first. Figure out which coil pack you have, which ign module you have, whether or not the ECM/coil pack have been changed to the 86-87 ones, and what chip you have. Do all this BEFORE throwing ANY more parts at the car. If you aren't sure how to identify these parts....post pics in this thread so the rest of us can know what you have, and direct you on how to fix the problem. I wouldn't try starting the car anymore until you are sure you have the right components that are compatible together....unless you like to keep buying sensors and things. Just my .02 ---Keith

It's the crank sensor!!!

I had this problem for 15 YEARS!!!!! It drove me nuts. It was intermittent and the car would always restart before I could get down to any troubleshooting.

It was the crank sensor.

I finally found a great GM tech and he knew what it was. We replaced the crank sensor and the intermittent, random stalling/cutting out/quitting is gone. I also did not ever get any kind of error code. Zero, zip, nada. I always checked, but the computer would never register a code before the car quit.

I found a replacement at RockAuto Auto Parts and it went right in. Don't bother checking local parts places. They will all show that they have the part in their system, but if you have them actually check their stock, they won't have it and their warehouses wont have it, etc., etc.

Good Luck,
Todd

I had this problem for 15 YEARS!!!!! It drove me nuts. It was intermittent and the car would always restart before I could get down to any troubleshooting.

It was the crank sensor.

I finally found a great GM tech and he knew what it was. We replaced the crank sensor and the intermittent, random stalling/cutting out/quitting is gone. I also did not ever get any kind of error code. Zero, zip, nada. I always checked, but the computer would never register a code before the car quit.

I found a replacement at RockAuto Auto Parts and it went right in. Don't bother checking local parts places. They will all show that they have the part in their system, but if you have them actually check their stock, they won't have it and their warehouses wont have it, etc., etc.

Good Luck,
Todd
been doing some research n my 86 T-Type has been doing the same thing i already pushed it home twice n its been sitting for a while now i been scratching my head n not getting anywhere, i get fuel (cuz i checked the plugs n they were soaked) but no spark.....when i let it sit the car starts right up n idles fine but ..............dies no code all fuses look great n im getting the same prob i hope changing the crank sensor will do the trick cuz i LOVE driving my Buick, but one question: whats the intermittent?????

been doing some research n my 86 T-Type has been doing the same thing i already pushed it home twice n its been sitting for a while now i been scratching my head n not getting anywhere, i get fuel (cuz i checked the plugs n they were soaked) but no spark.....when i let it sit the car starts right up n idles fine but ..............dies no code all fuses look great n im getting the same prob i hope changing the crank sensor will do the trick cuz i LOVE driving my Buick, but one question: whats the intermittent?????

in·ter·mit·tent   /ˌɪntərˈmɪtnt/ Show Spelled[in-ter-mit-nt] Show IPA
adjective
1. stopping or ceasing for a time; alternately ceasing and beginning again: an intermittent pain.
2. alternately functioning and not functioning or alternately functioning properly and improperly.
3. (of streams, lakes, or springs) recurrent; showing water only part of the time.