CAS V4S and General Intercooler Questions

SpeedRacerX

Sorry to beat this horse. Unlike what I thought, turns out I have a CAS V4S SLIC. The "S" must stand for short or small or stock-ish. I do not have the larger CAS V4 SLIC I thought I had. The V4S appears to be 13 rows and I'm sure the core is better than stock. And while that's 30% more than the stock IC, I don't think it will support my goals, hence my questions. (Correction: I have 14 rows).

1. How fast have guys been with a CAS V4S?
2. It's been supporting my TA49 today and my high-to-mid 11's but will it support me if I jump to a 6262 and have high 10s as a goal?
3. If I have to change out the CAS V4S SLIC, would a Precision SLIC stretch or big used stretch SLIC support me comfortably at high 10s or am I now looking for a front man, the fans and all that?

Car is 90% street with less than a half-dozen, 1/4-mile passes per year. We see hot temps and traffic here in NJ and the front mount concerns me but if the fans work, I wouldn't want to sacrifice power. Car runs about 165-170 most of the year and during the hottest Summer days with AC on and sitting still, it sees maybe 185-188.

End goal is a consistent mid-11s or better street car that once per year can click off a 10.8/10.9 at the track. I'd be a happy man if this were the case.

Last edited:
I always though the S stood for stretch.

I did not know there ever was a "short" V4 they were about stock width, but stretched ie. more rows.

I always though the S stood for stretch.

I did not know there ever was a "short" V4 they were about stock width, but stretched ie. more rows.
I saw a sheet that showed the CAS V4S at 13 rows and the CAS V4 at 19-21 rows. I also heard there was a CAS V4R with 24-27 rows but this info might not be fully accurate.

Was able to finally measure my CAS. 14 Rows, Core is 13" wide x 10" tall x 3.25" thick. Unit is 19" wide at top of end tanks. 2.5" in/out.

Now if I could just determine what CAS V4 I have and better yet, will this easily get me into high 10's or not?? If not, larger SLIC or front mount?

Last edited:
Hmm, I have the CAS as well. Did'nt know they came in 2 different sizes. Guess I need to go measure mine.

V4s should be 3 more rows then stock and a bigger neck like the dutt neck 2.5" , good for high 10s, but nowhere near as good as the Pte slic that's been 9's which would be on par with the v4r.

R stands for race, S probably means standard or street

Last edited:
Just to help clarify things, the v4s was designed to use the stock intercooler scoop.

V4s should be 3 more rows then stock and a bigger neck like the dutt neck 2.5" , good for high 10s, but nowhere near as good as the Pte slic that's been 9's which would be on par with the v4r.
I count 14 rows on my CAS. I've read a little about the dutt neck. How does mine look? Will this get me into the 10's (with 6262 and proper TC but no heads or cam yet)?
20171212_143322.jpg
20171212_143257.jpg
20171212_164241.jpg
20171212_164153.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Just to help clarify things, the v4s was designed to use the stock intercooler scoop.
Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. Mine uses the stock intercooler scoop.

I count 14 rows on my CAS. I've read a little about the dutt neck. How does mine look? Will this get me into the 10's (with 6262 and proper TC but no heads or cam yet)?View attachment 313721View attachment 313722View attachment 313723View attachment 313725

It is a v4s, 13 or 14 rows whatever if it uses the stock scoop, now 10's is a bit of a stretch with stock heads many have done it but with high boost and alky, but I wouldn't attempt it without the car being tuned. also imo your a little big on the turbo with stock heads you might go a little faster and be more in the sweet spot with a te44 if your not porting heads anytime soon.

Hmm, I have the CAS as well. Did'nt know they came in 2 different sizes. Guess I need to go measure mine.

The more I learn about the CAS intercoolers, the more I find out that there were a lot of random changes or options that Tony offered.

I have a CAS V4 coming to me soon, so I will post pics of the core when I receive it.

I have read that even on his V2 FMIC, he had different sized cores that he used over the years, and that the V1 also had different core thicknesses that he used. Now this is what I have read. So if I am incorrect, please let me know. I can say that personally I have had a V2 and now a V1..in fact when I bought this V1 I thought it was actually just a V2 with one of the different cores that I heard about he doing.

The more I learn about the CAS intercoolers, the more I find out that there were a lot of random changes or options that Tony offered.

I have a CAS V4 coming to me soon, so I will post pics of the core when I receive it.

I have read that even on his V2 FMIC, he had different sized cores that he used over the years, and that the V1 also had different core thicknesses that he used. Now this is what I have read. So if I am incorrect, please let me know. I can say that personally I have had a V2 and now a V1..in fact when I bought this V1 I thought it was actually just a V2 with one of the different cores that I heard about he doing.
Their were a lot of variations of the front mounts maybe 2 or 3 each of the v1,v2.. ive had a few of them over the years still have a v1 and v2 in the garage but to my knowledge their were only 3 versions of the slic. v4s,v4,v4r.

Their were a lot of variations of the front mounts maybe 2 or 3 each of the v1,v2.. ive had a few of them over the years still have a v1 and v2 in the garage but to my knowledge their were only 3 versions of the slic. v4s,v4,v4r.
So how do I know if the V1 that I have is actually a V1, and not just a larger version of a V2 core?

Wait..CAN you ask Tony? Does he still have a business somewhere?

Or is that another way of telling my to go to hell and I can ask him when I get there? :p

NO no no .. was just pointing out that he did a lot of 1 off stuff .. I know factually he did a lot of custom work and some got things that were a "BIT" different :)

NO no no .. was just pointing out that he did a lot of 1 off stuff .. I know factually he did a lot of custom work and some got things that were a "BIT" different :)

Oh, bummer... I wish I could ask him some questions..I'd love to pick his brain about end tank design and flow through the core..

You might appreciate this pic.. the bottom has a custom Kenny Duttweiler unit that I bought off a friend the other day. I plan on getting the end tanks modified and redesigned for a single turbo setup and not twin turbo.

Oh, bummer... I wish I could ask him some questions..I'd love to pick his brain about end tank design and flow through the core..

You might appreciate this pic.. the bottom has a custom Kenny Duttweiler unit that I bought off a friend the other day. I plan on getting the end tanks modified and redesigned for a single turbo setup and not twin turbo.

just put TWINS on it !!

just put TWINS on it !!

Don't need to!

This WORK 69/73 unit should be plenty for my engine to make 950rwhp, and if I crank up the boost on it, over 1000rwhp.

Reed has some Buick guys right now using the same exact turbo I have and are making mid-950'srwhp, and the only reason they didn't make more power is because they ran out of fuel pump.

What is even cooler, is that Reed only rated this turbo for 850-900fwhp.... the reason I love WORK turbos so much, is because you can basically count on whatever Reed rates the turbo at for flywheel HP, it is probably going to make close to that at the wheels!