Changed Turbo , Need new chip???

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I replaced my TE45A with a Turbonetics HPC Billet F1 6465 BB . Do I need to have at new chip burned for it , or will it be OK as is ? No other changes were made to the motor .

You have a self correcting chip, so it will add/subtract fuel to your target AFR. Start with the boost low and work your way up, watching the correction to see if it needs more base WOT fuel.

I think the difference between the two will be small in your case, but it's safer to start with lower boost.

Actually I just thought about this now while the car is down for the winter and not when I changed the turbo late last summer . I have already ran my best time the way it is right now and was wondering if there was more that should be done with the chip . So basically I can just fine tune what it needs . By the way , it was darn close to perfect right out of the box , Thanks Eric !!
Sam

You're going to like that turbo. I do.

Dave Husek suggested it to help get my car to spool faster than my TE45A that needed work , and I couldn't pass up the deal I got .

Dave Husek suggested it to help get my car to spool faster than my TE45A that needed work , and I couldn't pass up the deal I got .
Is the time in your sig with the 45a or the t-netics ?

Is the time in your sig with the 45a or the t-netics ?

That time is with the Turbonetics , and I would break traction about a car length out all night . 60' times were all 1.6's

That time is with the Turbonetics , and I would break traction about a car length out all night . 60' times were all 1.6's
Any times with the 45a? just curious ive switched my combo's around and have a similar set-up and both turbo's ..thanks

I don't have a direct comparison because of a boost issues with the TE45A ( waste gate not sealed)and limited me to 24psi. Which netted 11.0 . After that was fixed the transmission started slipping at the 2/3 shift. The turbo was changed after 2016 Turbobuick.com Nationals and 11, 2.0 60' times in a row due to slow spool. 60' are much better even with traction issues . I believed low 10's are right around the corner.

I dynoed it last year and RCG , which netted 706hp / 684ftlb with the TE45A . I'll be there this year and Dyno it again with the Turbonetics.

Oh I definitely know that :D, was just wondering on the track time/boost difference, I haven't tracked either yet.
We ran a 45a with a good stroker motor/xfi with both a small ex housing and a bigger one motor it made 29psi,the billet 64/65 walked all over it by being able to make a lot more boost.getting into boost is so much faster as well.

I dynoed it last year and RCG , which netted 706hp / 684ftlb with the TE45A . I'll be there this year and Dyno it again with the Turbonetics.
That's pretty high on the dyno for that turbo.my friends car made 650rwhp but went 10.20s with a 45a.

His torque was higher than the hp though I'm surprised your hp is that high and torque is down

My 45A had a Precision .63ar exhaust housing and that dyno pull was at 29psi & 16* timing . I'm looking forward to see how the Turbonetics performs , it is set at 29-30psi also.

My 45A had a Precision .63ar exhaust housing and that dyno pull was at 29psi & 16* timing . I'm looking forward to see how the Turbonetics performs , it is set at 29-30psi also.
Mine trapped over 135mph at 29psi at 3800lbs.

We tried switching ex housings because the 45a had lousy turbo response even with a pretty loose converter.

My mph seems to be stuck at 126-127 , even when I ran 11.0 it was at 125 . I don't know how much my car weighs , but I'm sure it's on the heavy side . I think I'll weigh it at Piedmont or RCG in May .