Changing out Spark Plug #6

RonKoron

I have a 2002 GTP with the 3800 supercharged V-6. I am 5/6 of the way complete on it's 100k mile tune-up. However, I can't get the boot/heat shield off the #6 spark plug. I have tried rocking the engine forward, but there is an O2 sensor right behind the spark plug that keeps getting in the way.

I feel that if I can get the boot off of the spark plug, I will be able to remove the old plug and install a new plug with the socket set that I have.

Any tips? Is it easy to remove the O2 sensor? What if the spark plug wire has been melded to the spark plug?

Any help will be appreciated...

Ron

If you suspect the boot is bad, I'd go ahead and cut it off with a razor knife and just replace the wires.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I am replacing the spark plug wires along with the spark plugs. My concern is getting the spark plug out with the boot and heat shield still attached.

I've used a pry-bar on the heat shield for leverage before. If you can get the boot to rotate, it helps a little.

For what it's worth, the 90's-2000's era GM engines are harder on plug wires than plugs. The factory installed plugs can go up to 100,000 miles on a well maintained engine and still look like the day they were installed. On the other hand, I've seen the plug wires cause mis-fires before they were out of warranty (less than 36,000 miles).

okay , it sounds like the boot has been on the plug long enough to be stuck

you can try rotating the boot to break it free and or get on the boot/shield with a pair of channel lock pliers and "leverage" it off , they also make specific spark plug wire pliers but channel locks have always worked for me and you are chucking those wires anyhow by the sound of it

I picked up the special tool on ebay a while ago, I think it's called the kent moore spark plug boot puller for the FWD 3800, it's a horseshoe shape attached to a contoured handle, the horseshoe fits right in the slot arount the top of the heat shield and then you just pry the boot off.

I never had much luck with boot pliers. I just put on a pair of gloves and keep turning the boot back and forth. Sometimes it just takes persistence. But I have removed the o2 sensor for better access. You can buy a special socket for the sensor at the parts store. It has split in the side for the sensor wire. When I install the new plugs, I put a little bit of anti seize compound on the threads, just a light coating on the threads. And I put boot grease in the boot. If you keep the car and have to change the plugs again, you will be glad you did this.

Aha, I got it. Just call me the dragon slayer! :biggrin:

On Sunday, I got with a friend and we tried to pull the plug wire again. We still couldn't get it, so I was going to throw in the towel and take it to Pep Boys or Firestone to have them just change 1 plug and wire.

Tonight, I tried it by myself using a pair of huge plumbing channel locks. I used the brackets used to pull the engine as a fulcrum so that I was pulling towards myself instead of away. Heard a little pop and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the plug boot and heat shield laying there.

I did try to remove the O2 sensor first, but I couldn't get that off! I bought a $10 tool at Pep Boys to remove it, but it had a spot for a big star driver. I don't have a star driver big enough, so I will take it back and try again another day.

I'm also planning on changing the fuel filter. The Haynes manual says to disconnect the fuel pump before disconnecting from the battery. Is there a good reason for this? If so, is the wiring harness for the fuel pump in an easy to reach place (i.e. not between the gas tank and the trunk)?

I'm also planning on changing the fuel filter. The Haynes manual says to disconnect the fuel pump before disconnecting from the battery. Is there a good reason for this? If so, is the wiring harness for the fuel pump in an easy to reach place (i.e. not between the gas tank and the trunk)?

Just relieve the pressure in the fuel sytem, or be prepared to get a face full of fuel when you disconnect the lines.

there is an access panel in the trunk right behing the back seat to get at the pump and harness , I just relieve the pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and do it , but I dont smoke ;);)