charging system

lgonzalez_1986

dont know **** bout gns
hey you guys how do i check my entire charging system on my gn, i have a good battery and good alternator but my cars dies and i have to jump start it to turn it back on, so maybe i have a bad connection or a bad ground and i just put in a hot wire kit about a month ago. any suggestions may be any electrical experts here, fyi im new with these cars im use to mustang trouble shooting , thanks

I don't know if this problem is yours, but a common problem that prevents charging is if the volt light on the dash does not light when you turn the key on. The speedo case must make proper contact with the plug behind it, thus lighting the volt light, or your charging system will not charge.

After starting it check the voltage accross the battery should be above 12.5 volts min. up to 14.6 or so max.

When running also check from the back of the alternator stud to a good ground point either the batter neg. terminal or the cowl ground point or even the alternator case if clean.

Those readings should be within about .2 volts on a running car.

After that you need to check for a load when the car is off.

You need to do an ammeter test for that by removing the positive terminal and checking with the ammeter in series between the battery + and the cable + terminal and look for an abnormal amperage draw with the car OFF and doors shut and underhood lamp disconnected so there's no draw there.

Should be under 50 MILLIamps. draw usually around 10-20 would be normal.

Do the volts test first.

If you are talking about the ALT light in your dash, then yes, that will cause a problem. The system will not charge if the ALT light is burned out !!!

?ok and my dashboard is off would that cause a charging problem ?

Probably. The light bulb in the batt. socket is actually part of the charging circuit. So..if that bulb is not in the socket, or is burned out, or the part of the dash that has that socket and bulb is unplugged then that circuit is "open".

so where is that bulb and do i have to have the dashboard connected in order to complete the circuit, right noiw im trying to restore this car, any step by step instruction on dash install and the bulbs youre talking about are the ones in speedometer that twist on?

It is the volt lite bulb which displays to the left of the speedo. If you have all this out of the car, your charging system will not function. Instead of installing the dash, if you need it out temporarily, you can wire a bulb into the system so alternator will charge.

Caspers has a "Field Fix" harness for the alternator that will by-pass the light. It's around $40

oh and will this also cause the car to die after a couple of minutes, then i recharge the battery and turn it back on, so i just repeat this process till the battery dies, im guessing it just runs off the battery till it dies then it turns off...

You get one of those small bulb sockets with two wires coming off of it. Cut the brown wire going that plug on the alternator. Hook it to one of the legs on the bulb socket and run the other one to your fuse panel and plug it into one of the accessory sockets. When you turn the key on, it will light, and when you start the car, it will go off. Then, your charging system will be working.

ok when i get home i will take a look and try it, do i have to cut the brown wire? and i could use any wire to run it to the fuse box, to any acces. port

hey you guys how do i check my entire charging system on my gn, i have a good battery and good alternator but my cars dies and i have to jump start it to turn it back on, so maybe i have a bad connection or a bad ground and i just put in a hot wire kit about a month ago. any suggestions may be any electrical experts here, fyi im new with these cars im use to mustang trouble shooting , thanks

Mustangs? Welcome to the "Winning" side.

The field fix mentioned above produced by Caspers is a real quick and plug in easy fix that eliminates any of the possible problems associated with the volt lite or other issues in the dash causing your alternator not to charge.

We sell them as does most of the vendors.

We also have complete correct 120 amp alternators rebuilt with all new parts.

In 1987 I believe our cars was the only GM ones that got the 120 amp alternators.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

i think i got 150 pm, but my question was would my car still turn off even though i had a good alternator,