Checking cam lobes

black owned

black pride
Any definitive way to check flat tappet cam lobes?Want to know for sure before i Install a cam i have.Thanks

Put the valve covers and put a dial indicator on the rockets and have a look

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You want to know about the cam in the engine now or one that isn’t installed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the valve covers and put a dial indicator on the rockets and have a look

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think he wants to check the cam lobes before he puts the cam in the engine.

Best way to check without knowing the specs would be to compare the intake lobes to each other and the exhaust lobes to each other with a micrometer or maybe a dial caliper to see if they are all the same.

I think he wants to check the cam lobes before he puts the cam in the engine.

Best way to check without knowing the specs would be to compare the intake lobes to each other and the exhaust lobes to each other with a micrometer or maybe a dial caliper to see if they are all the same.
Also would like to know what the tell tell signs are of a wiped lobe.

Inspect #3 ex lobe carefully by design this one the most likely to be damaged. Signs can be backfiring, popping, valves floating at high rpm, valve train noise, down on power and sometimes there are no signs at all.
Often caused by synthetic oil, improperly set up valve train and valve springs that are too heavy for a FT cam.
HTH

Inspect #3 ex lobe carefully by design this one the most likely to be damaged. Signs can be backfiring, popping, valves floating at high rpm, valve train noise, down on power and sometimes there are no signs at all.
Often caused by synthetic oil, improperly set up valve train and valve springs that are too heavy for a FT cam.
HTH

Visually, would you see schmeerd metal or a different texture?

Yes if it’s bad enough you can see the carnage. The lifters can also show sighs of damage if they stopped spinning because of the damaged lobe. If it’s not in a engine and you’re concerned about it I would check all the intake and exhaust lobes with a mic. All of the intake should measure the same and all of the exhaust should measure the same. Flat tappet cams do have a taper on the lobes that might cause someone that’s used to seeing a roller cam lobe to think it might be damaged.

When a cam starts going flat, they go flat fast. It's a closed loop causality.

IF you have a working flat tappet cam, and you're thinking about replacing it for the hellovit, DON'T. Period.

If your cam is flat or going flat, don't even think about replacing the cam. The engine needs to come out, torn down to the bare block, and tanked. Along with tossing any oil coolers that's seen that engine.