Chicagoland engine builder

Billygo

I'm looking for an engine builder in the Chicago area. I have a running 87 turbo motor that I just pulled out of my car. I'm looking for a street-able motor with a bit more power.

I'm looking for an engine builder in the Chicago area. I have a running 87 turbo motor that I just pulled out of my car. I'm looking for a street-able motor with a bit more power.

Why did you pull it out ?

Car has 100,000 miles on it.

and ???

Mileage doesn't mean anything ... I wouldn't open the motor up if there weren't issues with it .. that's a bad call ..

maybe a timing chain and fresh valve springs, check the drivers header for cracks and typical Buick BS and it should be good..

what kind of power you trying to make 400 hp ?

and ???

Mileage doesn't mean anything ... I wouldn't open the motor up if there weren't issues with it .. that's a bad call ..

maybe a timing chain and fresh valve springs, check the drivers header for cracks and typical Buick BS and it should be good..

what kind of power you trying to make 400 hp ?
Yea 400-450. This is my first turbo Buick

Don't take it apart ! .. no reason to.. and it can make 400-450 without opening the motor at all.. its not a SBC so don't treat it like one ...

you can get the power you want with just bolt ons .. no reason at all to get in the motor as long as it ran good and didn't have any issues prior to being pulled.

I would do a timing chain and valve springs on it ..
was the rear main leaking ?
check the driver side header for cracks ..

Don't take it apart ! .. no reason to.. and it can make 400-450 without opening the motor at all.. its not a SBC so don't treat it like one ...

you can get the power you want with just bolt ons .. no reason at all to get in the motor as long as it ran good and didn't have any issues prior to being pulled.

I would do a timing chain and valve springs on it ..
was the rear main leaking ?
check the driver side header for cracks ..

Good advice but since you pulled it out with intentions you might as well pull it apart, clean and check it all out. At the least you can throw some new rings and bearings in it. Next level is steel crank, rods and forged pistons.

Are you north or south side?

Balancing is always a worthwhile investment too.

On the north side, precision engine and machine in sleepy hollow is an excellent shop with lots and lots of Buick builds performed.

Good advice but since you pulled it out with intentions you might as well pull it apart, clean and check it all out. At the least you can throw some new rings and bearings in it. Next level is steel crank, rods and forged pistons.

Why would you have him pull apart a factory sealed up motor that had no issues to support 400-450 hp ? ..
The Factory headgasket seal is just about impossible to beat .. why disturb it ..

Replacing the factory rotating assembly for 400-450 hp is a total waste of money .. why not have him spend the money where he can see the benefit ..

To the OP ... if the motor you pulled out had no issues ( oil consumption, low on power, smoking, low on compression, signs of over heating, signs of detonation ) ... DONT F*** with it .. your opening a can of worms that you don't have to.

Why would you have him pull apart a factory sealed up motor that had no issues to support 400-450 hp ? ..

He would not be doing a "total restoration" without at least going through the engine and getting it out of the way to clean/detail/paint the engine compartment. And with 100K miles on it, I bet every one of those stock pistons are cracked. It's a good time to address those issues now, rather than later with fresh paint to complicate matters.

What is your intended fuel choice? 93 octane? 93 + Meth? E85? Or flexfuel capable?

Listen to this guy!!! ^^^^

He would not be doing a "total restoration" without at least going through the engine and getting it out of the way to clean/detail/paint the engine compartment. And with 100K miles on it, I bet every one of those stock pistons are cracked. It's a good time to address those issues now, rather than later with fresh paint to complicate matters.
And this guy!!!^^^

You want 450 hp now next you'll want 5-600hp. You got the engine out do it right once!

Are you even kidding me .. there is nothing wrong with the stock pistons ... the mileage means nothing

I didn't say anything about him cleaning and painting things like valve covers and detail work .. and even inspecting things and addressing known issues with that mileage like timing chains and valve springs.
but to open the motor up, tear it down and "BREAK the FACTORY head gasket SEAL" on a motor that didn't exhibit any issues ? That's MORONIC at best.

Geez you make it sound like 100K on these things and they are ready for the scrap yard..
Mileage has nothing to do with the condition of the motor nor the condition it's in.

400-450 hp is nothing at all for the stocker to handle ,, been proven over and over

And this guy!!!^^^

You want 450 hp now next you'll want 5-600hp. You got the engine out do it right once!

why .. so he can spend $8 K and never use it ?

That's right just THROW the KITCHEN Sink at it and start off with Throwing ALL the kool guy parts at it before you even learn what the stocker will do .. GREAT ADVICE !

If your goals are 400-450hp .. the stocker will do just fine .. when you get there and learn the car ., more than likely a set of ported irons , and a few other
key bolt ons is all you will need to get you to the 550 level .. beyond that your talking significant supporting mods that will likely DETRACT and lower the return of your RESTORATION effort ..

Don't get caught up in the MORE PARTS game !

South