Chip Options? Thinking About Dumping the Maftpro

qwic87gn

I've had a Translator Pro on the car for years now, but I've never been happy with the way it behaves and I'm about fed up with it.

So what are my options for more simplified setup? Running a larger MAF with a Turbotweak chip seems to be the route that many are going. Is that the best answer for someone that doesn't want to mess with drivability issues all the time? I don't mind tuning for WOT, but cruising issues and fighting rich issues at idle is annoying.

Main points on the car:
Stroker engine
Ported iron heads
218/212 Roller Cam
70 p-trim turbo- 4" inlet
80lb injectors
Alky

Does anyone have a turbotweak chip with a combo similar to mine? Any complaints?

If running a MAF,I like the Extender and Extender Extreme chips because they double and more the amount of air that the MAF can read. This means that the computer always knows the amount of air entering the engine from idle to shift point and will adjust fuel accordingly. If you have a Translator,you can adjust WOT fuel with the turn of a knob on the Translator if you use an Extender or Extender Extreme chip . Because WOT fuel is adjusted this way,it doesn't revert to default when power is disconnected from the computer.

What about the trans pro did you like. What did you dislike? Are you running a mag with it or mag less?
These answers will better help us advise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a Translator Pro on the car for years now, but I've never been happy with the way it behaves and I'm about fed up with it.

So what are my options for more simplified setup? Running a larger MAF with a Turbotweak chip seems to be the route that many are going. Is that the best answer for someone that doesn't want to mess with drivability issues all the time? I don't mind tuning for WOT, but cruising issues and fighting rich issues at idle is annoying.

Main points on the car:
Stroker engine
Ported iron heads
218/212 Roller Cam
70 p-trim turbo- 4" inlet
80lb injectors
Alky

Does anyone have a turbotweak chip with a combo similar to mine? Any complaints?
Tt chip 5.7 and ls1 maf for no hassles tuning and great drivability.

I liked the idea of the flexibility and adjustability of the Pro. Being ran without a MAF.
I've never been able to get the boost control to work. The timing for wot won't change either.
Also, it runs so rich at idle that you don't want to be in or out of the car because the fuel smell attaches itself to you like the Body Odor of the valet in a Seinfeld episode.

I liked the idea of the flexibility and adjustability of the Pro. Being ran without a MAF.
I've never been able to get the boost control to work. The timing for wot won't change either.
Also, it runs so rich at idle that you don't want to be in or out of the car because the fuel smell attaches itself to you like the Body Odor of the valet in a Seinfeld episode.
That's awefull.what is the Afr at idle?

Extender Extreme was always one of my favorites. I loved the way that chip worked and controlled.

Ofcourse the key to being able to run a MAF based chip is having a combo that can tolerate a stoichiometric idle for at least long enough for the chip to dial in an idle BLM number and lock it down. If your engine can do that then a MAF chip is a simple and effective solution.

If you are going back to a MAF anyway, you should try the translator in translator mode with the MAF instead of speed density(will cost you nothing to try). I use mine like a translator, but the tuning options are still considerable. The VE MAP can actually be used as a tuning MAP for the MAF when in translator mode(very handy for integrating the alky), if you want that level of detail. The biggest thing if you do this, is make sure you select the correct input for the MAF, and the correct output for the extender chip, after you select translator mode. A little dip switch in the box has to be correctly set, make sure you zero out any previous scale and load point adjustments. Select open idle in the chip. You also have to make sure TPS and idle air control is set, just like any other chip. If it is wired up correctly, you will be 95% of the way there. If you want to try this, post up any questions. It is actually very easy to run like a translator, and for a chip there is no better than an extender chip.

ET and MPH is in my sig...and driveability is excellent. You'll note in my sig I pretty much run stock junk as well. 5.7 TT chip and a Translator. You have your choice with an LT1, LS1 or a Z06 MAF. The Z06 MAF requires a 3 to 5 pin connector.

So what are my options for more simplified setup?

I'd dumb down to my level an go with a TT chip. Simple an stupid :D

the pro will run with a MAF with most any chip. you could probably run the stock chip..

I will look over your log and see if I can see why its idling rich,

Bob

the pro will run with a MAF with most any chip. you could probably run the stock chip..

I will look over your log and see if I can see why its idling rich,

Bob
I was assuming he wanted all the bells and whistles.

I'm going to go back through all the wiring (hopefully this weekend) and see if that clears up any of the issues.

I appreciate all the input so far guys!

Bob, please let me know if you need another log or additional info.

I'm going to go back through all the wiring (hopefully this weekend) and see if that clears up any of the issues.

I appreciate all the input so far guys!

Bob, please let me know if you need another log or additional info.

Please post up when you figure it out, as this seems to be a potential issue on some car's with opened up motors that breath better. So for those of us who haven't made that leap of faith yet. The more pieces of the puzzle we can gather the better off we will be. Thanks and good luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk