You can type here any text you want

Choice Of Drag Radials

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

flipmo

"Come Correct - Boosted"
Guys, I asked this question in the "Tire Section" earlier but probably would have received the answer I was looking for here. Since most of you are running Staged Motors, what size "Drag Radials" (275/60/15, 295/65/15, 315/60/15, 325/50/15, etc....) and brand are you guys running?

For a Low-9 second or faster car, what size is better?

Thanks Again

flip

M/T 325/50-15

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Thanks Billy. I'm starting to think there aren't too many out there running a 30" radial (i.e. 295/65/15 or 315/60/15).

I actually don't know of anyone on the board running one of the two tires. I do know many running the 325/50/15, so I guess I'll maintain the status quo since performance has been proven running that particular drag radial.

flip

THE 28/11.5/15 HOOSIER QUICK TIME PRO.. not good for anything but a straight line.. and I mean ANYTHING.. but are quicker than the mt"s.. I"ve had em both.. with the qtp"s you"ll think you bought another car.. just my 2 cents

THE 28/11.5/15 HOOSIER QUICK TIME PRO.. not good for anything but a straight line.. and I mean ANYTHING.. but are quicker than the mt"s.. I"ve had em both.. with the qtp"s you"ll think you bought another car.. just my 2 cents

I went with QTP's from MT drag radials and and ET streets then slowed down couple .10ths.

The Hoosiers measured about an inch taller than the Mickey's, even though their specs show the same size roll out?

Need to launch much harder with the QTP's, but they hook good.

Moral of this story is find what works best for YOUR combo and stay with it.:biggrin:

Go with the Hoosiers!

I think Nick's advice is good.... go with what will work best with your current set up. Consider how hard you launch, do you have airbags in rear springs, are you going to be driving to the track and then home after a day of heating them up etc....

I've used the BFG Drag Radials when they first came out, and did manage some 60 fts. in the 1.6's. I actually went through 3 sets of the 275/50/15's... the ones with the much wider "slick section" in the middle of tire. They were very good on the street and for driving car to track and back. They would rub on the inside framerail sometimes though. Even so, I know a lot of guys who still believe that this is the ultimate street/strip tire if you drive to the track and don't want to be changing tires.

I then went to the M/T E.T. Street, and although they were good at the track, they absolutely SUCKED on the way to the track and back home. I once got caught in a rain storm on way home from the track and it took me almost 2 hours to drive the 40 miles home! With these tires, I did hit some 1.5's for 60 fts. though. 28x10.5x15

When I started trailering the car, I went with Hoosier Drag Slicks, and I'm EXTREMELY happy with them. I go with the 28x11.5x15's and the fit in the wheelwell just fine. No rubbing at all. I no longer launch my car as hard as I used to, so can't give a fair comparison as to 60 fts. for you.

I do know quite a few guys in the Street Eliminator class at our local track that really like the Hoosier street tire that has the drag slick qualities to it. Not sure what that one is, maybe the Quick Time Pros'??? I've seen the tires on some of the cars, and I have to say that they really look like a slick with a few more grooves in them than the M/T E.T. Streets have. From what they say, the Hoosier's have great street manners and last longer than M/T's.

Hope that helps some!

a 315 isn"t going to fit in the stock wheel well .. the MT is a good piece.. for MY car the qtp is faster { quicker}. I"ve used goodyears, mt"s and hoosiers, they ALL have a good product. BTW I"m useing the 28/11.5/15 and fits in the stock wheel well..

315 Mickeys have been in the 7's around here.

the 275 have been 7s around here! =)
I would be happy with a solid 11 on my junk!
If you want to go bigger you will need frame mods.

are you saying a v-6 powerd full weight gn has been 7"s in the 1/4 on 275 "s ??? cause I"m gonna yell BS !!!! the gut that started the thread in my opnion will be doing sme street duty..
YouTube - King of the Hollow 39
this is a link to my car friday night.

[ you"ll have to copy and paste} we run 1/8 mile locally, full weight, FULL exaughst, cold ac, went 6.05 @126 .. my car is truly a driver.. I only responded because flip started the post.. now name me how many cars FULL weight,full interior, full exaughst have run 7"s in the 1/4 with the v-6 ??:confused:

My friend Ben is the co-crewchief on Dave Bowman's DR Camaro.
His car runs pretty well on 275 MTs too.

are you saying a v-6 powerd full weight gn has been 7"s in the 1/4 on 275 "s ??? cause I"m gonna yell BS !!!! the gut that started the thread in my opnion will be doing sme street duty..
YouTube - King of the Hollow 39
this is a link to my car friday night.

[ you"ll have to copy and paste} we run 1/8 mile locally, full weight, FULL exaughst, cold ac, went 6.05 @126 .. my car is truly a driver.. I only responded because flip started the post.. now name me how many cars FULL weight,full interior, full exaughst have run 7"s in the 1/4 with the v-6 ??:confused:

This would be very hard to do but not impossible.
How you define full weight would be a huge factor in this.
Dave Fiscus has gone 8.3s on DRs at about 3500 lbs.
A larger turbo or twins @ 3200 lbs theoretically could get it done.
At one point that was my goal before I started selling my junk off.
I would be happy with an 11 in my street car these days!!!

My friend Ben is the co-crewchief on Dave Bowman's DR Camaro.
His car runs pretty well on 275 MTs too.

Yep Dave's Camaro is a nice ride, there are a few other guys that have been 7's on the 275's in the PSCA Wild Street class that come to mind. Artis Houston with the N20/BBC Nova and Steve Short's SN95 turbo Mustang which I believe was actually the first in the 7's on 275's. Would be cool to see someone put a Buick/G-body in the 7's on 275's, would be super cool to see someone do it with the V6! I think you're right John, it would not be easy but it's certainly possible.

8.30s @ 3500 is gettin it done !!!!!!!! and this was on the MT DR ??? if so then kudos to him !!! I"ll be happy with my mid 9 sec car with cold ac.. maybe at the track the mt is faster { since so many buick guys seem to believe this}, but I can tell you, it"s not on the street.. not on kentucky roads anyway !!!!:) ;) steve keen

The word out is that the Hoosiers are comparable in performance or just marginally better. But the side walls take a beating way faster , eventually hurting tire performance.

steve ur car was flat out badd other night at king of the hollow where were u for the last one and oct 25 theres gonna be another lets see them tires u stole from me be put to work

Back