Clanky noise when car goes into gear

louie3888

Guys,

When I put the car in gear drive or reverse I get a clank noise only when I start the car and take off and then it goes away. Just wondering if RPM's or cable is causing this? I do know that it's been doing this for a long time and initially I thought it was u-joints but they are tight.

Thx

Ck

Rear end clearence, trans mount, crossmember bolts, yolk splines and ck ujoints again, High idle with slop in rear end will cause a nasty clank.
Also , internally, the drive shell could have excessive clearence and clanking in the direct drum lugs. But that would have to be addressed during a rebuild. Get under car with a stethiscope and put someone in the car you TRUST not to run your ass over ( Piece of advice, DO NOT let the wife do it LOLOL) and have them shift from P to D and back to R and so on and try to track down externally or see if it is internal. Chances are it is external and rear end has some clearence. Mounts are important here. I have even seen an axle cause clank.
Just some things to ck
Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME Transmissions

I will first check the pinion bearing I wonder if there is play there as I see a leak below the rear yoke seal.

This may sound funny but i remember putting a white lead grease to eliminate a rear yoke spline ping in the early seventys at a buick dealer ship