Cleaning a FMIC

Roc87

11 Second V6
Searched and didn't see anything about flushing out/cleaning a FMIC. Going to install my Alradco radiator soon and wondered if I should go ahead and removed the PTE FMIC to clean it out. Seems worthwhile, since I will be cleaning all the dirt/dust/bugs off the A/C condenser as well

Searched and didn't see anything about flushing out/cleaning a FMIC. Going to install my Alradco radiator soon and wondered if I should go ahead and removed the PTE FMIC to clean it out. Seems worthwhile, since I will be cleaning all the dirt/dust/bugs off the A/C condenser as well

Would like to know as well, have not seen this ? Before

Just pour a half gallon of denatured alcohol in it, cap off the ends shake, roll, flip. Pour it out into a container and seal. You can use it again.
Let air dry, or hook up a yard blower to it for a couple of minutes. Stuff evaporates pretty quick.
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Just pour a half gallon of denatured alcohol in it, cap off the ends shake, roll, flip. Pour it out into a container and seal. You can use it again.
Let air dry, or hook up a yard blower to it for a couple of minutes. Stuff evaporates pretty quick.

Thank you

Eric; I will spit the cost of the denatured alcohol, laquer thinner or whatever you want to use and we will clean out both of our ICs...

J

Thanks notacarlo

Attachments

• IMG_20140222_174011.jpg
    IMG_20140222_174011.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 152
Nice Roc!

Denatured is about $9-11 a half gallon at home depot

Don't use thinner or mek, tolulene...etc. Alky is safer.

You can use a can or 2 of carb cleaner too. That might not be the cheapest way depending on how much you use but we always have like 20 cans at the shop since we work on lawnmowers and such

I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid,pour it in, add hot water, slosh it around,pour it out,flush it out with cold water. Repeat until there is no oily trace. I leave the cooler upside down and slightly tilted to allow it to drain.

The times i have cleaned my cooler there was very little sheen trace of oil.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is a great degreaser. And doesn't require any special handling or disposal. It's cheap and available just about everywhere.

X2 on the dishwashing liquid soap is what used
I mix the liquid soap with hot water inside a bucket then place it into a hand pump gallon sprayer, and spray in between the fins and inside.
Move it around and then use the garden hose with adjustable nozzle like a pressure washer all over, let it dried naturally.

I agree with whitehot in the fact that there isn't as much oil as you think in there. Unless your PCV system is 30 years old. Denatured breaks the oil down and evaporates. I'm out on the dish detergent. You can never guarantee all that soap residue is out. Where if you pass denatured through the motor, no harm no foul. Its what the older alky systems used before meth.

Dawn dish soap. I couldn't get anything to clean the four core duttweillerbi bought. Nasty as hell. Looks like a turbo blew up and puked its guts in it. Dawn dish soap and warm water was the only thing that would break it up. Took me an entire day. Use brake cleaner soaked rag and shove through the pipes

Ive always used 87oct
Its works great cleans the intercooler great and kills your pain in the ass neighbors bushes
To rocks with one bird !!

Yep, I used gas :oops:. Had it from draining the ATV. Didn't actually fill the FMIC, probably would've held 3 or 4 gallons, but sloshed it around pretty good. Wasn't too oily, just had a small puddle in the up-pipe. Got the Alradco radiator put in, the upper cores in my old radiator didn't look too bad, but the lower ones were awful! Cleaned out all the bugs/dirt/rocks out of the IC and straightened the fins on the condenser. Just need to install the IC pipes