Coilovers

mayosmechanic

Has anybody gone to a coilover set up on the front and done away with the stock stuff?I was considering the QA1 setup but i'm unsure of sring rates etc...

Where did you find the coil overs? To compare the spring rates you need to convert the rates to what the Wheel Rate is and that should get you close.

I would like to see how the coil overs are installed. Do you have a link?

THE QA1 drop in front coil over kits are offered in two springs ...the gmp-15 is for " small block " cars and the gmp-13 is for " big block" cars.

I am getting ready to throw the gmp-15 in my car due to the lightness of my front end ( fiberglass hood, bumper , aluminum core support, a/c removed, ect.)

Any updates?
I was thinking about going to the QA1'a also.
Whould like to know how they worked out.
Thanks!

I don't think that setup would gain you anything performance wise over good stock-type spring selection and a set of Koni Adjustables. In fact, you lose a lot of flexibility because they only have two spring rates available. You can get springs from a stock car catalog that fit the stock setup in rates up to 1500 lb/in. The stock set up is already coil over shock, you just don't have the height adjustment from the threaded sleeve and perch.

Where a threaded shock coil-over setup CAN help is actually in the back. By co-locating the path of the spring force and the damper you can make things a bit more predictable in the rear. With the stock setup, the angle that the springs act on the axle is different than the angle the dampers are acting. This can lead to funky axel movement and even bind. Its like adding two more links to the system.

get the big block series only nad the R version, you can't go wrong the best upragde i ever did, car drives like a dream and you can adjust any ride height in minutes!

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
Where a threaded shock coil-over setup CAN help is actually in the back.

Yep, it's a night and day difference.
With the coilovers, and HrP rear bar, it's a totally different ride. MUCH nicer. And just for grins the Global West lowers just make it even nicer.

Now to get the ATR Torque Arm, and a Panhard Bar on <G>......

I run the QA1 GM coil over conversion. I have the BB springs because the QA1 Tech support told me the spring rate in the small block set up was a lighter rate than our stock springs. I cliped a coil and a half to get the ride hieght I wanted and thats with 2" drop spindles.