You can type here any text you want

Collector Car Insurance Companies

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87 WE2

Ok Guys here's my problem:

I am 23 & have 2 turbo Buicks. An have an 87 GN and a
86 T-Type which I am still working on to be my daily driver.

I want to insure my GN with an agreed value, etc... I have researched allot of companies, Hagerty, Grundy, Cauldon & skelly, etc...
My problems are that allot of companies require you to be 25 years old, and or the car has to be 25 years old.
If the car is not 25 years old its to new :rolleyes: But they will insure a 2000 plymouth prowler, viper, ferrari. :confused: W.T.F.? I tried to tell these people that it’s an 87 GN its over 15 years old and I can get classic tags for it so its a classic, right? 87 was the last year of rear wheel drive, they only made 20,000 of them that year they are rare to find in MINT condition and they talk to you or look at you like your nuts for wanting to insure an 87 Buick, ITS TOO NEW THEY SAY, TOO NEW? :eek:
You have got to be freaking kidding me too new!
What about that 2000 plymouth prowler, viper, ferrari's you cover? The answer I get is that they are collectibles, how is a 2000 anything a collectable especially a P.O.S. MOPAR Prowler?
I just do not get it at all, unless there is something I am missing. I am just confused as to what to do here. Just because I am not 25 they will not insure the car for what its worth? I got allot of $ tied up in my GN alone I would like to insure it for what its worth.

So what do I have to do put the car on jack stands, put a cover on it and wait until I am 25 so I can really enjoy it?
Every time I take this thing anywhere its like there is a bull’s-eye painted on it. There's so many idiots out there on the road I am afraid of getting hit in it and taking a total loss, my regular insurance is not going to give me squat for it if something happens.
Too much time (3 years +) & money tied up in it to take the risk, anymore. Look at the pics....

Does anyone have any advice or know of a reputable collectable car insurance company that I have maybe overlooked that will insure a 23 year old that has 5 years driving experience with a clean record?

Thanks any help you guy's can give me..............Ed

You might want to do a search by subject. There was a very good
good thread going on this about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4, here on turbobuick.turbolounge.
Had some very interesting info.
I think that there is at least 1 company that will insure the GN as being 15 years old, but not the turbo-t

Call Matt @ Classic Auto Ins. Agency in Indy, I use him on my car, you are limited on miles but you can discuss that with him, on the age limit of being 25, I do not know but worth a shot.
Ron
800-397-0765, Matt's number

You can get classic tags in PA for your GN but the tags have nothing to do with the insurance company..
All the insurance companys that I have ever seen and been associated with had a 25 year old minimum age policy. For obvious reasons.. Id jsut hang tight and stay with you present company till you are 25.. Thats what I did when I had a classic car years ago when I ws 20.. Actually i had it in my dads name too:)

Frank

See if you have a Farm Bureau agent near you. They insured my stepson (17 yrs) on his own car ('88 Cutless Supreme) cheaper than anyone else around here. They also have agreed value insurance. All they asked for were pictures and a description of the car for the file. I don't know of any age limit.

I didnt have any problems years ago getting Condon & Skelly on my GN years ago (then again I was over 25) and when I bought my other TR I didnt have a problem adding them on.

FWIW Condon & Skelly is a broker and for years the actual policy was written by St. Paul insurance company and for the past two years the actual policy is a Met Life policy.

I can see why insurance companies are stuck on the 25 year age limit, statistically drivers under 25 have more accidents, trust me its all done by actuaries.

You could always get married and that will cut your insurance costs.....lol.

I've been calling around because I want to get classic insurance on my GN. The problem I've found is that most of these companies use a lot of ambiguous language leaving a lot open to interpretation regarding whether you will even get paid for your car if something happens to it. Naturally all the "interpreting" is done by and for them and not you!!!! There are lots of restrictions on where you can drive the car, how many miles, etc. Some try to limit you to only driving to car shows or club functions. Well what happens if I'm coming home from a show, stop off for a Quarter Pounder at Mickey Ds, come out and then find my car stolen? It wasn't stolen at a club event or a show or from the confines of my locked garage. Who knows if they will pay or not. See what I'm getting at? :confused:

Hagerty will insure a GN.They just paid out $22k on a salt water flood car we had come thru.If it would of been fresh water flood they wouldn't of totalled it.They gave the owner the option to buy back also.We bought it from the original owner.Settlement was a few weeks,not too bad to deal with according to the owner.
Ed it may be different if your under 25 though.We all went threw it.

I called hags for my 86 GN when I bought it & I am over 40.
They said no because I have not owned it for 1 year WTF!
Was I suppose to not drive it for 1 year & call them back?:rolleyes:

So I went to my regular insurance & placed a $15k agreed value but I could drive any place any time. But the price was $700 a year.

FAST FORWARD:
This year I placed it with Grundy limited use/restriction for $240-

TURBON8R brings up a good point. They have to be reasonable
if you are coming back from a car show & want to eat at MCD's or take a whizz that is not unreasonable.
But if your at the grocery story doing you weekly shopping with your car then I can see them making a stink.

Like I said Grundy is the best. NO MILEAGE restriction either.
I have been insured with just about every classic insurance company out there the 25 years that I have had collector cars and Haggerty is the best.

Originally posted by Bweavy
Hagerty will insure a GN.They just paid out $22k on a salt water flood car we had come thru.If it would of been fresh water flood they wouldn't of totalled it.They gave the owner the option to buy back also.We bought it from the original owner.Settlement was a few weeks,not too bad to deal with according to the owner.
Ed it may be different if your under 25 though.We all went threw it.

Thanks for the responses guys, & all the info. I will look them :)

I am looking also

Frank your post is a little confusing.. So is Grundy the best or Haggerty.. Seems like your post says both.. I am 44 with a good driving record and I hate my current Ins co. they're just a pain to deal with and I haven't had any claims.. Could you also post contact info... Thanks Dave

I believe they will waive the car's age if they want to....it's all part of a profile. For example one company rejected me because my Buick wasn't old enough. I know they insure people on this board so I pressed harder...turns out they would insure my Buick IF my daily driver was less than 5 years old. They feel that a 10 year old daily driver doesn't deter me from driving my pleasure car. I'm sure being under 25 doesn't help you either. Like Rich said, they have it all worked out.... ;)

Please don't get one of these collector policies without understanding the restrictions. I researched several companies, asked questions, requested the actual policies and read them... Most of the classic companies prohibit uses you would think are "pleasurable", like taking the car to dinner on a Saturday night, going to a car guy weekend at your friends...

Everyone thinks they have a great policy, but have you read the fine print or filed a major claim? All of a sudden, the underwriter's lawyers take over and the friendly agent that told you warm and fuzzy stuff is powerless. Don't take chances on someone's word- read the policy.

Personally I pay "regular money" for my classic policy, but I am covered to the appraised value with no unusual restrictions. I'll anticipate your next question ;) I have NJ Manufacturers, which you have to work for a company in the "NJM Assoc" to be eligible. Knock on wood I think I am being treated fairly so far.

Hope that helps some,

Mike [:-)

Re: I am looking also

sorry! I meant GRUNDY.
I saw Haggerty and typed it by mistake..

Originally posted by re-evaluating
Frank your post is a little confusing.. So is Grundy the best or Haggerty.. Seems like your post says both.. I am 44 with a good driving record and I hate my current Ins co. they're just a pain to deal with and I haven't had any claims.. Could you also post contact info... Thanks Dave

I have both of mine insured with Hagerty. At first they did not want to insure my T Type but I had the agent bug the company and they came through.Both are insured for a stated value.I have a 64 electra convertable that was involved in a accident a few years back and Hagerty paid off right away. That age requirement my be a problem and you might have to just wait a few years. Like someone said We All Went Through It.

I use Grundy on my WE4, plus I have "collector car" registration in NJ which is for special interest cars that are not eligible for antique plates but are still collectable.

Grundy is pretty good. Be careful with that no-mileage limit though. If you take your car to work everyday and wrap it around a tree, you may run into a problem. I think the language in their policy is pretty vague as it limits the vehicle to "special interest" use but doesn't really specify what special interest might be.

I figure I don't put 20k miles on my car every year and it sees only limited weekend and nice weather duty, so the chances of me wrecking it are slim I guess.

hope that helps....

Rich

It was pretty clear to me. You are NOT covered driving it to work. Thats why you have to prove you have another car to do the everyday driving. All classic insurance companys are the same way. Why the heck do you think that they are so inexpensive?

Originally posted by QuickWE4
I use Grundy on my WE4, plus I have "collector car" registration in NJ which is for special interest cars that are not eligible for antique plates but are still collectable.

Grundy is pretty good. Be careful with that no-mileage limit though. If you take your car to work everyday and wrap it around a tree, you may run into a problem. I think the language in their policy is pretty vague as it limits the vehicle to "special interest" use but doesn't really specify what special interest might be.

I figure I don't put 20k miles on my car every year and it sees only limited weekend and nice weather duty, so the chances of me wrecking it are slim I guess.

hope that helps....

Rich

Contact information

Anyone have contact information or do I just have to find a local agent that carries it? Thanks again Dave

www.grundy.com

their website has a work up sheet to show you exactly how much you will be paying for the insurance.. The phone number is on the site too.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
It was pretty clear to me. You are NOT covered driving it to work. Thats why you have to prove you have another car to do the everyday driving. All classic insurance companys are the same way. Why the heck do you think that they are so inexpensive?

Well, I assumed that much, but I read their policy - what is defined as "limited use"? Is it only parades and shows? What if I'm driving down to Dynotech on a monday morning to get a converter installed and somebody t-bones me? That, to me, still falls under limited use.

And what if I decided to take it to work and got t-boned but claimed I was driving to meet up with another TR owner for some tuning?

I'm not complaining because I use their insurance. Just saying that I thought the definition of "limited use" was vague.

Rich

Back