Combo thoughts

TireFryer

It's just a 6...
Dec 21, 2001
MICHIGAN
So here's the deal. I have an 86 wh1 with 62k miles on it that is mostly stock. I have been building up parts for the past year and here's most of what I have.

Ported and polished champion irons

Ported champion intake

63mm tb and plenum

Power plate

Alky injection system

6776 precision turbo

3 inch downpipe

And more that I can't think of.

The shortblock is a 62k unopened engine. Good compression on all cylinders. The engine pulls strong. Im trying to decide weather to pull the top end off and install the heads and intake... But I don't have a cam to go with all the new flow so would it be worth it at this point? Or should I wait until I have a cam and roller chain and just do alky, injectors, power plate, AFPR, and a fuel pump for now? The car also has a built trans so I'm not worried about that.

Attachments

Reggie West

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
May 28, 2001
Temecula, CA
You will need a cam to make that combo work. You really cant do it without it. Even a 206/206 will be fine for that. You don't mention rockers but I would recommend them.

Your turbo is oversized for that combo. Stock compression ratio and stock parts will not take full advantage of that turbo. If you could I would look around for a 62 or something in that range. It will work better with the rest of the combo. That 67/76 will work ok but its too big without a higher stall converter and more CR to drive it.

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
Dec 10, 2014
Westchester NY
Throw on the standard bolt-ons you mentioned for now. Work on the small supporting mods you will need. Then upgrade with the big stuff when you have the whole package worked out.

See as advised above.

Reactions: TireFryer

Nigel

Jun 16, 2001
Nassau, NY
Solid fuel, spark, chip, and tuning supporting devices.
If the tranny is still stock and shifts good, put a good shift kit in it.
Then add the alky and the power plate, and start turning it up.
A stock car will go low 12's, with alky, and MT drag radials. The stock tranny will live a little while at those power levels.

If I was going to the trouble to put the heads on now, then after making sure all supporting mods are also done, it would be a heads, cam, converter combo with a built tranny along with any thing else needed to support the power that turbo can make.

ttypewhite

Oct 1, 2001
Toronto
To get the most out of your setup, I would do the roller cam at the same time. I really like the 210/210 hyr roller cam with that setup with a matching converter to extract the most out of it. But if it was me, I wouldn't go through all that trouble to do this leaning over the fenders. I would pull the engine, put it on a stand where everything is clearly visible and easy to reach. You will save yourself time and aggravation this way imo. Good luck with it.

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Dec 14, 2004
Houston, Texas
IMO: Install a good timing chain (verify yours) , valve springs (do these correctly!), alky system, get Power Logger and a TT chip, log fuel pressure (and alky), add a wideband, tune the car to around 20-22 psi manifold pressure with stock turbo, 100% KR free.

Once this has been accomplished, reevaluate the goal and budget.

Mr.Spool

Nov 6, 2006
Or should I wait until I have a cam and roller chain and just do alky, injectors, power plate, AFPR, and a fuel pump for now?
this is what you should do.the 67 turbo is going to be no fun without the cam and heads,want to see?put the 67 on now without touching the motor that will give you an idea and is simple to do.i personally would run the stock setup with the fuel upgrades and tune it in untill the you have the right stuff to make the combo work.

TireFryer

It's just a 6...
Dec 21, 2001
MICHIGAN
IMO: Install a good timing chain (verify yours) , valve springs (do these correctly!), alky system, get Power Logger and a TT chip, log fuel pressure (and alky), add a wideband, tune the car to around 20-22 psi manifold pressure with stock turbo, 100% KR free.

Once this has been accomplished, reevaluate the goal and budget.
The heads have 120 pound valve springs in them already and are cut for roller rockers. I have a wideband, will be getting a roller timing chain, already has powerlogger and scan master g.

TireFryer

It's just a 6...
Dec 21, 2001
MICHIGAN
Solid fuel, spark, chip, and tuning supporting devices.
If the tranny is still stock and shifts good, put a good shift kit in it.
Then add the alky and the power plate, and start turning it up.
A stock car will go low 12's, with alky, and MT drag radials. The stock tranny will live a little while at those power levels.

If I was going to the trouble to put the heads on now, then after making sure all supporting mods are also done, it would be a heads, cam, converter combo with a built tranny along with any thing else needed to support the power that turbo can make.
the trans was freshened up with new clutches, shift kit, and other things i cant think of back in 2013

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Dec 14, 2004
Houston, Texas
The heads have 120 pound valve springs in them already and are cut for roller rockers. I have a wideband, will be getting a roller timing chain, already has powerlogger and scan master g.
You are on the right track. Lol

I am confused though.
Do you mean the head pedestals cut for roller rockers?

"120 lb springs" doesn't mean a whole lot as there is more to springs than seat pressure.
This 120# seat pressure is probably too much for a ft cam, and not enough for a roller. Either way, the spring pressures need to be confirmed to be accurate and correct if this hasn't been done already.

TireFryer

It's just a 6...
Dec 21, 2001
MICHIGAN
The car
You are on the right track. Lol

I am confused though.
Do you mean the head pedestals cut for roller rockers?

"120 lb springs" doesn't mean a whole lot as there is more to springs than seat pressure.
This 120# seat pressure is probably too much for a ft cam, and not enough for a roller. Either way, the spring pressures need to be confirmed to be accurate and correct if this hasn't been done already.
Yes. the pedestals are cut for roller rockers. i just checked and they are 100# springs

hensleyt

Feb 20, 2008
Hawaii Big Island
Yes springs are for flat tapet cam
When you get a roller cam you should ask for springs and ass. to match. Much easier to assemble off the car.
that is one big turbo, stock bottom end will not support that much horsepower.

TireFryer

It's just a 6...
Dec 21, 2001
MICHIGAN
Yes springs are for flat tapet cam
When you get a roller cam you should ask for springs and ass. to match. Much easier to assemble off the car.
that is one big turbo, stock bottom end will not support that much horsepower.
I just looked up the casting numbers, and they are a .500 max lift, made for a hydraulic flat tappet, 1.75 inch install height, and 100# seating pressure. Currently looking for a 6262 or something similar.

hensleyt

Feb 20, 2008
Hawaii Big Island
It really looks like your ready for your next baby step.
Alky and RJC. plate. The chip will work with Alky no reburning needed.
You can have it maybe not mastered but really on your way this summer.
I moved to fast in the beginning and broke my numbers matching motor. I move much slower today ,it has taken me 5 years to have a streetcar that has gone 11.3 once and 11.5 30 times with no breakage.
Keep a eye out for a turbo with all the new stuff coming out some might ditch there 6262BB chip.