Control Arm Bushing Removal Tool - Recommendations??

Darkstar72

In the near future I believe I will be tackling front control arm bushings on my 87 T and looking for any tool sets that others have used to press out the old/press in new with success. I would prefer to save the money some shop would charge me to do something I'm sure I can do myself with a little effort. TIA.

The typical kits out there will work to do the ball joints and bushings but i found even though they had a good selection of adapters they were not all useful for a g body. A few are missing. You'll need the extra kit of adapters. By the time you get both, you might as well just pay someone that has them all. My friend had a few leftover bearing races that happened to be the right size. Had to use those and the ones in the kit. PITA.

That makes sense. I guess before I invest a lot of sweat on this one I’ll check with a few shops to get a rough estimate to swap them out. I’ve seen Moog offers a complete upper that comes loaded with Problem Solver bushings and new ball joints. That may be the way I go for the top so it would only be the bottoms needing bushings only.

Thanks P.

It's the lower arm bushings and balljoint that need the extra adapters. The upper bj are riveted in. They just get drilled out.

That makes sense. I guess before I invest a lot of sweat on this one I’ll check with a few shops to get a rough estimate to swap them out. I’ve seen Moog offers a complete upper that comes loaded with Problem Solver bushings and new ball joints. That may be the way I go for the top so it would only be the bottoms needing bushings only.

Thanks P.
I just did the moog problem solvers I’ve been happy with them so far. I really did not want to send hours doing the swap of ball joints and bushings and it still cost almost the same that I spent with them already assembled and ready to install out the box.

i usually just buy the complete upper control arm. you get a brand new painted arm with new bushings and ball joint. last time i bough one it was like 45 bucks.

I will likely go uppers as a complete assembly from Moog and farm the bottoms out to get replaced.

Thanks for the input.