You can type here any text you want

converting vacuum brakes pedal to manual brakes (pivot pin placement)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
What's the best way to convert the vacuum brakes pedal so that the pivot pin is in the correct spot for a manual brakes setup? I know the hole is already there. Can the pivot pin be pressed out/pressed back in?...or should I just leave it in place and go with a clevis pin? Clevis pin size? Any method to secure a clevis pin besides welding? Let me know what you have done (paging Bob and David).

A high quality, 1/2" steel pin can be pressed into the upper manual brake hole. The length under the pin’s head should be about 1.0”. No welding should be required unless the hole in the brake pedal has not been used correctly and has been damaged. The 1.0” length works with the width of the custom clevis I use. It slips over the pin and secured with a cotter/hair pin. The 1.0" length should work with most high quality clevises

The only high quality clevises I have seen have the same thread size as the eye bolt. You will need a ½” clevis that has a ½” eye to slip over the ½” pin that was pressed into the pedal. Downside to this is that the thread count on the clevis for the pushrod is for ½” threaded pushrod, which is quite large, but can work if doing it yourself. Usually pushrods are 5/16” or 3/8” in diameter. Depending on the length of the clevis, the threaded pushrod should be about 3.0” long. I use a custom made clevis with a ½” eye to fit the pin and a 5/16-24 right hand female threads for the 5/16” push rod.

Funny this thread came up. I just got an email reply from Gbodyparts that said they have such pins for the brake pedal and will be adding them to there website shortly.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back