Cooling Fan won't shut off...

1987Vader

Fade to Black!
o_O Well this is a new situation... When I turn off my GN, the fan keeps running. It will shut off if I have the key turned partially, but if I have it fully to LOCK, everything turns off, except for the fan motor. What does this get me? Annoyance, frustration, and a dead battery. Any ideas? Wondering if it is a bad relay somewhere...

The big relay on the drivers side fender.... inside the engine compartment...... unplug the harness out of the bottom. This is a "fan delay" relay I think. Usually it eventually fails.... making your fans run alot more than you are supposed to when the car is off and it runs your battery down. I don't think there is any downsides to just running this relay unplugged all the time. Mine has been that way for 6 years +

Thanks for the help. I will search for the "Big Relay". Silly question coming.... "Will the fan turn on at all when this relay is unplugged?" will my engine overheat? Thanks again for your reply.

called a fan delay relay....supposed to keep the fans on when the car is shut off if the coolant temp is over 200 deg. they stick after time. fans will run normally with it unplugged.

Its the relay. Not a big issue. Three relays are located on right side of inner fender. Two small ones and one that is larger. I just replaced all three. Issue resolved

Is this the relay? Thanks!
001.JPG

The big left one and make sure you unplug both connectors too.

I'd put a piece of electrical tape over each one too, keeps out moisture and makes sure they can't short out to any metal since there's power on them with the key off and additional contacts with the key on.

Hi I am having the same problem my 2014 Buick Encore cooling fan will not shut off after the engine is turned off. I see that Blazer 406 member said
" The big relay on the drivers side fender.... inside the engine compartment...... unplug the harness out of the bottom. This is a "fan delay" relay I think. Usually it eventually fails.... making your fans run a lot more than you are supposed to when the car is off and it runs your battery down. I don't think there is any downsides to just running this relay unplugged all the time. Mine has been that way for 6 years + ",

i am not sure what you mean by unplug the harness out of the bottom. When you say the big relay which one are you talking about. I looked up the engine compartment for my buick but I found so many. I don't know what the difference between them are and which one I should pull out. Can you help. I have include a picture of the engine compartment

Mini Fuses
– Fan Relay (Auxiliary Fuse Block)

J-Case Fuses
8 -
Cooling Fan Low/Mid
9 - Cooling Fan High

Mini Relays
– Cooling fan – mid
8 - Cooling fan – low

HC-Mini Relays
- Cooling fan – high

Relays ( I think these are Auxiliary fuse block)
RLY02 - Cooling fan control 1
RLY03 - Cooling fan control 2

Attachments

• Trunk Seal - Original 1987 vs NOS_1 - resized copy.jpg
    Trunk Seal - Original 1987 vs NOS_1 - resized copy.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 830