Copper gaskets or not !

thomas cory

Toms GN
Hey Guys, installing a new turbo , should I use the copper gasket between the header to the turbo or use high temp copper sealer ???

Are we talking bout a gasket between the turbo and the down pipe ? Sorry just confused

I can't really see where that would be a issue that would affect very much. I'm thinking the guys are talking header to turbo, where you would lose power because of a leak but I could be wrong.

My flange isn't flat so I use 2 2-1/2" copper header collector gaskets sandwiched together. I put the high temp copper RTV in the grooves slightly over flush and put them together and sit a brick on them overnight to cure. Makes it like a copper o ring and I can reuse it. Before I warped the flange I used no sealer or gasket.

I took my 3 bolts out my turbo and pipe and now they wont go back in. A couple of turns and it gets really tight. I dont want to break them off in there. What can i do to get them to go back in so i can button everything back up

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I took my 3 bolts out my turbo and pipe and now they wont go back in. A couple of turns and it gets really tight. I dont want to break them off in there. What can i do to get them to go back in so i can button everything back up

Loosen up some other stuff so you have some wiggle room? :)

The turbo is sitting on top and im trying to put the bolts on from tbe bottom(I think that's how they came off) but they barely start to turm before it gets really tight

Normally the turbo has 3 threaded studs in it, with crimped friction nuts that hold it in place.

It sounds like you need to pull the turbo off and run a tap through the holes. Don't forget to use anti-seeze on the threads too.

The guy i got the car from put 2 regular bolts and 1 stud, that stays put when you remove the turbo

I'd convert it back to 3 studs. I run a copper gasket, not sure why though, had one crack before and the current one leaks a bit because of pitting on the 14 year old turbo.

Which RTV are you guys using.
I’m planning to do the same.
Any high temp copper silicone. I've been using Permatex Ultra Copper for many years,but I believe any of the other brands would work just as well.