You can type here any text you want

Crankshaft?????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

YHAVAV8

I am about to start my stage 2 build. It is a converted Wegner Busch engine. It has a Kellogg crank in it. Anyone know about the durability of these crankshafts? Has anyone run one? I talked to Kellogg at PRI and imagine this, no one has been at the company since the mid 80s. The one man that i talked to said it was not a production crank from Kellogg, meaning it would have been "experimental". This isn't a max effort engine just a little street car with twin 62s on it. Goal is to run 5.90s 1/8 on 18" drag radials:eek:

Kellog Crank was one of the higher end crank companies in the 80's and
early 90's. At that time everbody was using buick forgings and just finishing
them to their specs. I would be concerned on how many laps the engine/
crank has on them to be the determining factor on usability. I am sure you
would have noway of knowing that so magnuflux and sizing checks would be
the least to do to suggest it's condition. Also the ultimite power level that
you are shooting for would be my final question to determine if I would use it.

Just a little street motor and you want to run 5.9 in the 1/8. I would think an 8 sec car is a pretty stout motor

Thanks for the reply Dan. I was told the block had 50 laps on it. it only took .003 to clean up the block and the crank was perfect so that sounds about right. The information gives me some piece of mind.

Compared to what i usually fool with this is a small street engine... Its all relative. If you noticed i said the GOAL. The engine isn't my concern, the TIRE IS:D

Not to burst your bubble and not that it is the end all answer but 50 laps on
an engine will not require .003 to clean up. Unless things are really moving
around it shoud have taken a dozen strokes to .0005 to clean up. A well
maintianed engine shouldn't wear the cylinders out that much. Just my
opinion for what it's worth.

Back