Dead Mouse Smell in GN

fitz3820

Hi all,

Took the GN out of storage in a barn after a year and a half. Stopped at a stoplight and a mouse ran out from under the hood.

I stopped and found him/her standing on the DS door hinge. I killed it with a crowbar.

I did have mothballs all over the car to prevent mice but I guess it didn't work. A few days later the car started to smell. Checked everywhere but then found one dead baby mouse under the P/S seat. Knew there had to be more.

I finally took the rear seat out and found 7-8 more dead baby mice. I took out the nest, sound deadening material and threw it out but the underside of the seat still smells a bit. Is there anything to get rid of the stink?

Thanks,

Mark F.

Stinky GN

Yuck!!
I would steam clean the carpet and any fabric in the car. The smell seems to linger in fabric, other than that, air it out and buy a vanillaroma tree, lol

Good luck. Check all your wiring etc. We all know the damage mice can do to wiring harnesses (bastards)!

That smell is nasty!!!!!!!!!!!

Scrub it down really really good, then get some of that odor removal stuff they sell, that might work.

Good look Kevin,
Go to the pet store and buy some of the carpet deodorizer they sell for dogs and similar animals. That should do a good job.

I've had marginal success using the Odor-X and Frebreeze products out there. The big problem you have is there is most likely urine soaked into the fabric and insulation. I had the same problem with a Riviera and on the seat covers and insulation I used a scented carpet cleaner that foams when you apply it and than vacuum up whatever residue is left. Now that car smells like the inside of a womans purse. Maybe unscented would be better. I have also had good luck cleaning stink and stains out of carpet by pulling the carpet out of the car and using a power pressure washer and blasting it out on the driveway. You have to let it set out for a day or two to let it dry but it is worth it if you have a good carpet that you dont want to trash. I've also had good luck storing vehicles and keeping the varmits out by always parking them indoors and completly covering them. I also have taken complete seat covers off the frames and washed them in my washing machine. This is really time consuming and I would only reccomend this if you have no money and no life. The covers have to be washed one at a time with mild detergent like Woolite and than either air dried or machine dried on low,low heat. Tahn you have to hang them back on the frames. It took me about 15 hours to do the last car I did this on. Good luck, Eric Fisher

Thanks for the replies guys,

The rest of the car is clean, dug into the dash and didn't find anything in the HVAC system. Took the whole trunk kit out and didn't find anything there either. Thank God they didn't chew up the interior.

I don't think that they were in there for long. The visible interior of the car is fine. They were living under the rear seat. I have the seat out of the car airing out in the garage.

I will go to the pet store and try some of those cleaners.

The smell ins't terrible but it is there. I think they were only dead for a few days. Probably after I killed one of their parents.

Mark F.

Stinky 87 GN

Don't be cheap!! Buy a new carpet. Duh.

J/K. If you do want to put a new carpet on, let me know, I can give you a hand. They aren't that expensive, make them look real good, and you can do your headliner at the same time. Hint, Hint.

Brian

Ok wagon boy, the carpet is fine, no smell at all. The mice lived under the rear seat and that is where they died = that is where the smell is.

I ripped out all the padding, tarpaper stuff from under the seat so it is down to the floorboards. There is no carpet under the seat, and the carpet is a 9 1/2 out of 10 looks awesome, don't want to replace it and you can't have it for your next project.

I need to clean the underside of the seat where it is just foam. I am hoping that some elbow grease and some of the chemicals others posted about will help.

I am shooting to get the headliner done this weekend. Sending the visors out to Jax to get re-covered.

Mark F.

Stinky GN

I have some of the sound/ heat insulation if you want it. It isn't GM, it is JC Whitney, but if it is under the seat, who's gonna know? If the seat cushion stinks, let me know, and we can rip the material off of one of the ones I have here, and re attach your material to it. Try washing under the seat with something real fragrant too. I like Simple Green. Not the industrial stuff(crappy smell). Just use the regular stuff. It smells pretty good, and it may cover the stench of rotted flesh. I should know. I punctured a couple of 5 gallon buckets down my cellar, and it hardly smells anymore. ;) Just kidding everyone. No, you won't be seeing me on the news any time soon. I can get you some industrial perfume oils too. Sssssh! I think I have strawberry right now. Good Luck, and just leave the windows open and the Ts off for a while. Gotta go.

Brian

Let a skunk loose in the car...that will get rid of the dead mouse smell.:D Brian, your not going to use the sound deadening material as padding for the baby seat??

Guess the mice called your GN GRAND NEST! :D
So much for Barn storage.

Next year maybe put some decon plates in & around your car.

I would call an extirmination company & see what they use to get the smell out.

Went to the pet store and they had all kinds of chemicals to get rid of "organic" smells. I bought the one that smelled the best and soaked the seat/rear interior of the car.

As of now, no dead mouse smell so I think that it worked. I go in for emissions this weekend, wish me luck.

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will buy one of those giant plastic bubbles that you can put your car in for storage, controls humidity too...

Mark F.

Less stinky GN

P.S. Brian, I may have to borrow your baby seat...

I have this stuff at home and I cant remember the name it worked wonders on the oriental rug that my puppy used as a toilet I'll get the name I think it was pure aire but I'll get the exact name tonight

i found a dead dog under the back seat of the last t type i baught.

i would have payed to see you running around trying to hit a mouse with a crow bar, kind of reminds me of mouse hunt.

That's right..............................I hate those dirty rats!!

To add insult to injury................they like to run up and down your frame and crack nuts on your intake (I guess injector thingor jiggies for you TR guys) right on top the engine.

The best way to avoid the mouse problem is to store your car were mice have no food. I store my cars deep in a limestone mine in Clarion County PA where there is no food for the suckers to eat.:eek:

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
.:D Brian, your not going to use the sound deadening material as padding for the baby seat??

The padding is getting a little worn out. Maybe I can use it when I restitch the seat to GN colors. It might not be the most comfortable thing, but I only use it to hold my helmet anyways.

Brian

P.S. Mark, what do you mean that you may need my baby seat. Did someone poke a hole in yours?? And I don't mean baby seat.

Thanks for all the replies,

The car smells good now, it is getting hot outside and I think the car baking in the sun would really bring out the dead smell. I think I got rid of it once and for all. Mise suck.

I am sure all my neighbors think that I am nuts running around my car at night with a crowbar yelling "you little sonofa..."

Bob, I have been lazy and haven't taken it in for emissions. I put a bottle of "mechanic in a can" emissions passer in and I have to burn through a tank before I get it tested, wish me luck. I put the stock downpipe/cat on so it should be fine.

Bubba Lee, yup, it seems that there may be a little Fitz on the way. Maybe I'll buy the wagon...

Mark F.
87 GN less stinky