denatured alcohol

beechbum

Does anyone use denatured alcohol instead of methonal for alky injection? Can this be done and should it be mixed with water at all or straight.
thanks

Does anyone use denatured alcohol instead of methonal for alky injection? Can this be done and should it be mixed with water at all or straight.
thanks

I use it, run it straight. last weekend ran fine. 25psi, no knock.

Cost is often the factor in using denatured vs methanol, and whether your pump needs lube or not.

de-nat alcohol

Thanks fellas, I have the SMC kit which does need lube where can i pick some of that up and what are the brands..

I have SMC kit, told no lube required, no mixing...get it at lowe's, for $11 a gallon I think....running 24psi no Knock

I have SMC kit, told no lube required, no mixing...get it at lowe's, for $11 a gallon I think....running 24psi no Knock

Are you talking Denatured Alcy or methanol? I didn't know the den alcy at Lowe's had lube in it. I get it there and Wal-mart. Same brand. Do you have the newer SMC kit or the old one? I have the older non-progressive kit from 2004 or so.

new kit....I've been told from a few people that no lube was required with the new kit.....but now I questioning myself. Just sent steve an Email...

I've run 3 gallons of it through so far, no problems....

can't remember the brand, blue can from lowes

new kit....I've been told from a few people that no lube was required with the new kit.....but now I questioning myself. Just sent steve an Email...

I've run 3 gallons of it through so far, no problems....

can't remember the brand, blue can from lowes

Oh ok, that clears it up. The old kit has the pump sitting inside the tank, so it needs lube. The new style kits are better in that respect and probably others.

what about using denatured alcohol as a fuel drier ,,(heet sub) sorry for the hijack

beechbum, i also use denatured alcohol,run it straight for a more aggressive tune as long as your kit allows for it.

Would like to know for sure whether the new SMC kit needs lube or not. This is the 1st I've heard about it. I've run about 2 gallons through mine since I got it a couple months ago.

I've been running denatured alky cause that's all I can find. It's about $13/gallon at ACE and about $15 at Lowes here in TX. I'd like to know where to find it cheaper. I'd also like to know whether the new SMC kit needs lube or not.

my daily driver GN has SMC kit and been using straight den alky for over 2 years with no lube... still works great .. " everyday ..it sees 20+ psi "

I've been running denatured alky cause that's all I can find. It's about $13/gallon at ACE and about $15 at Lowes here in TX. I'd like to know where to find it cheaper. I'd also like to know whether the new SMC kit needs lube or not.

The old kit has the pump sitting inside the tank, so it needs lube. The new style kits have outside pump, no lube neede. Is your pump inside the tank? if yes, you have an old kit and you need lube. Is the pump outside the tank? if yes, then you don't need lube.