Do I need to upgrade my turbotweak chip

Discussion in 'Computer Chips 101' started by GNbythebay, Aug 4, 2017.

1. GNbythebay

GNbythebay
    Expand Collapse

I bought a turbotweak chip back when I upgraded the fuel system ( I got the 42lbs and chip combo and selected the street option). Since than I added alky control and a 3" dp to a exhaust dump. Do I need to return my chip for a re-tune because of the upgrades I did or will what I have be fine.

2. Kyleh24

Kyleh24
    Expand Collapse
    86 GN , 87 White T

If you added alky since getting the chip, I am certain you need your chip adjusted.

3. GNbythebay

GNbythebay
    Expand Collapse

I just checked to see how much a re tune would be and it will cost $85 Is it worth the money? I mean if it will hurt my car not having it tuned for alky than of course I will get it but will I feel any increase in power for the $85?

4. Kyleh24

Kyleh24
    Expand Collapse
    86 GN , 87 White T

I sure wish someone else would chime in here. I am a novice, but I have learned that when you change anything that affects your air or your fuel, odds are your chip won't be right. That is exactly why Eric at TurboTweak asks you those questions about your set up. Unless you have an SD2 chip, you can only adjust some setings that affect ONLY Wide Open Throttle. So if your idle or normal driving fueling is off, your car will drive badly. If the chip you have is a TurboTweak, please email Eric, and be patient. He will answer you when he can. And please don't risk hurting your motor over an $85 chip upgrade. Respectfully, Kyle

5. The Granny

The Granny
    Expand Collapse

going from straight pump gas to an pump/alky combo definitely requires a change in the tune. Eric will set you up its well worth the $85. The alky burns slightly as a fuel and since it's usually coming in at 6-7 psi boost then if you don't change the tune to remove fueling to attain your target a/f then you're drowning the motor and you'll run rich forever and never know why. Alky injection also changes your a/f targets after it comes in at the 6-7 psi I mentioned earlier, since it has different stoichiometric value than gasoline (14.7:1 for gas, 6.45:1 for methanol). Not too sure if the timing will change all across the board, but I know for sure you can run addition timing in high boost with alky injection than without it due to its capabilities to reduce the chance of knock with its cooling capabilities that increase the oxygen levels in the air in the intake. which all translates to "raising the octane" in the total fuel that enters the combustion chamber.

in conclusion, adding an alky kit without having the proper chip for it will have a negative effect on performance. your best bet would be to get the 6.1 chip if you don't already have it, and the proper scan tools to monitor your engine. like a power logger and scanmaster. here's a link to the 6.1: http://www.turbotweakstore.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=1026

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. SCOOBY DOO

SCOOBY DOO
    Expand Collapse
    Stock Junk Rules!

Eric uses a different fuel/timing curve for his alky chip...so you'll need his alky chip.

7. TurboBuRick

TurboBuRick
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Alky chips have less fuel and a tad more timing but that does not mean the current chip won't work. If you can trim wot fuel you can get it pretty close.

8. 3.8L V-8 eater

3.8L V-8 eater
    Expand Collapse

Let me start by saying I don't mean any disrespect to the OP.....If he is asking that question this means he is a novice and should not be attempting to tune his way around having the wrong chip....Bottom line you need an Alky chip or you are going to be spending more than 85 bucks!!

9. wb_7354

wb_7354
    Expand Collapse

Confirmed. You can't get that 5.7 reburnt for alky. You will have to buy a new chip. And it is more than $85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. hensleyt

hensleyt
    Expand Collapse

Street Chip: for use with pump gas (91-94 octane), and (will also work with alcohol injection,) but not as aggressive as an alcohol chip. 16-18psi boost in most cases (a little lower with 91oct), WOT fuel will be set up for that boost level, around 18 degrees WOT timing. For the 84/85 hotair cars, typical boost is around 11-14psi. Cars with the 84/85 ECM will NOT have the features of the 86/87 chip.
    from TURBOTWEAK web sight ,
    I ran my 5.7 street chip after installing Alky tell i made more mods I think I would just go to TT web sight and ask the master Eric