do you bother to balance "track-only" tires?

haywire4130

Just wondering, I mounted up a fresh set of gently used mt drag radials on my 15" wheels and was shocked that one of them was 10 OUNCES out of balance (tread was way out of round, wheel was running nice and true). I spun it 180 and tried again, same result- Bad tire? Or is the qc pretty lax since its intended as a race tire?

I don't balance mine now that I no longer street drive them at all. The balance probably wouldn't keep anyway after a few burnouts.

Most Tracks will not allow wheel weights on the rear at all due to the fact that they could possibly fly off during a Burn out and hurt or kill someone.

Interesting stuff here... I used a bunch of sticky weights on the inside edge. That makes sense from a safety standpoint about not allowing weights, and I agree the balance would be way different after a few burnouts. My inner perfectionist wouldnt let mw use it unbalanced being that far off though. Thanks for all the replies!

Slightly off-topic but I was wondering: are the wear bars on drag radials just there to appease the DOT, or are they really indicators of when you should replace? After a handful of passes they get worn almost flush, I cant imagine thats their projected lifenspan!; I'm not racing for points or anything, just street night fun-

I've been told that my old 235s were too worn out via the wear bars so I guess they do look at them.
Can you make Sept 28 for Test and Tune? Got a thread going on that in the NE section.

Might be tight, throwing a batchelor party for my brother the night before hahaha... im going up tomorrow with hopes of a nice clean pass, weather should be perfect and car feels pretty dialed!

Prior commitment for me tomorrow. Take some videos.