Please educate me on fuel pump upgrades

You don't turn the fuel pressure up...you adjust the fueling via the chip. If you have Erics 5.7 chip you can add/subtract 20 percent fuel. You can also adjust Julios alky kit...it's in the Alky Section. Here's a vid on how to adjust Erics chip from my channel.

I would just like to add, though it may not address the OPs specific lean numbers, but may be helpful to others, I had been chasing O2 numbers on the lean side at WOT for a long time. I was afraid to stay in it in high gear because scanmaster numbers seemed to be in the low 700s at 95 to 100 mph. First, I installed a DW 300 fuel pump. That didn't help. I got a Kenne-Bell boost a pump, set at and delivering 16 volts to the fuel pump past 3 lbs. of boost -- that didn't help. My next move was to change from my 50 lb injectors with fueling set, by the way, to the maximum value (154) to 80 pounders from TT with a corresponding chip to my engine upgrades, set once again to the maximum fueling (154) -- that didn't help. But. finally I found what I needed to correct the problem. I contacted Eric and had him re-program the chip for the next power level which added, I believe, about 20% more fuel at WOT and that was the key to fixing my lean at WOT problem. Hope this helps someone else.

1. You should have an in car fuel pressure gauge. You can log fuel pressure on PL.
2. You should be logging every run on PL looking for anomalies.
3. If you run alky I recommend having your alky pump rebuilt once a year. Cheap insurance against head gaskets.
4. Change your fuel pump once a year. Cheap insurance against head gaskets.
5. Change your 02 sensor regularily. 02 numbers on your SM should be moving at 1 per second. Anything slower and the 02 is on it's way out.
6. Eric takes an educated guess on the fueling for his chips. You have to be exact with the info you give him when you order your chip. An example is if you tell him your max boost is gonna be 22...and you try pushing 30...then there's likely not gonna be enuf fuel in the chip...even if you add 20 percent. Same as if you go from something like a 49 to a 6262. You're gonna suck the chip dry of fuel.
7. The info you get from the ALDL port for the SM is at a much slower rate than the ECM for PL. PL is far more accurate.
8. Most only tune for high gear fueling. Most PL files I've seen with Erics 5.7 chip are pig rich in low gear fuel. If you're not tuning low gear fuel...then you're leaving a shitload on the table.
9. Weather is everything. When bracket racing my car it'd pick up 2.3 tenths in the 1/8th mile on a 15 percent humidity drop. You HAVE to pay attention to heat/humidity...or you're gonna be into headgaskets.

Last edited:
30psi on a single nozzle.740s/760's is not what i would like to see,if your pulling plugs and that is where it wants to be i understand but thats pretty lean inmo.

780 is a good safe zone. My engine would start seeing KR in the low 750's. I kept it at 780 and let boost do it's job.

I just ordered a new pump from Julio and gonna send mine back for a re-build , I do have a power logger and will start recording . Thank you Guys for the help

1. You should have an in car fuel pressure gauge. You can log fuel pressure on PL.
2. You should be logging every run on PL looking for anomalies.
3. If you run alky I recommend having your alky pump rebuilt once a year. Cheap insurance against head gaskets.
4. Change your fuel pump once a year. Cheap insurance against head gaskets.
5. Change your 02 sensor regularily. 02 numbers on your SM should be moving at 1 per second. Anything slower and the 02 is on it's way out.
6. Eric takes an educated guess on the fueling for his chips. You have to be exact with the info you give him when you order your chip. An example is if you tell him your max boost is gonna be 22...and you try pushing 30...then there's likely not gonna be enuf fuel in the chip...even if you add 20 percent. Same as if you go from something like a 49 to a 6262. You're gonna suck the chip dry of fuel.
7. The info you get from the ALDL port for the SM is at a much slower rate than the ECM for PL. PL is far more accurate.
8. Most only tune for high gear fueling. Most PL files I've seen with Erics 5.7 chip are pig rich in low gear fuel. If you're not tuning low gear fuel...then you're leaving a shitload on the table.
9. Weather is everything. When bracket racing my car it'd pick up 2.3 tenths in the 1/8th mile on a 15 percent humidity drop. You HAVE to pay attention to heat/humidity...or you're gonna be into headgaskets.
Man you got this stuff down, thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge.

780 is a good safe zone. My engine would start seeing KR in the low 750's. I kept it at 780 and let boost do it's job.
on the c16 we could lean it down a little further for track use,but on alky the target afr/mv must be higher due to the nature of the fuel.i have run both;)

Whats you guys thoughts on a heated O2 sensor ? I guess at the end of the day if it counts like it should its good to go ?

Whats you guys thoughts on a heated O2 sensor ? I guess at the end of the day if it counts like it should its good to go ?

They were popular years ago as they are more tolerant to leaded race fuels, but aren't so relevant now days. If it works don’t go to the trouble changing it until it doesn’t work.