Head question

mommasGN

So I blew a HG for the second time. (I have since found why it ran lean and fixed that issue). My engine was running beautiful with the TA49 before this happened. My question is, would I benefit from champion heads, steel or aluminum, at this time? Or should I just slap a head gasket on, spend the money elsewhere and keep driving? (currently running 7.40 in the 1/8th). Will I be kicking myself later for not doing heads while I have it apart? Will heads be overkill for the TA49 until I get a larger turbo?

My mods in sig are not current. I now have 120 injectors, bigger pump, feed and return lines.

Thanks!

real power is in the heads ... most all that other bolt on crap ie 70mm throttle bodies is not going to produce noticeable gains like heads

Power is in the heads...but...if you can't get it to the rear wheels...then you're going nowhere fast. After 15 years of racing these cars every weekend spring to fall...and this is just my opinion...the torque convertor is the most important piece of the puzzle. And most get it wrong. Champion irons are a good choice. Oh...and ya' gotta be able to tune. ;)

Ok, ill go ahead and get some heads. Any reason I should go with aluminum? I'm sure it will be a long time before I ever reach the full potential of champion irons.

The money you save using the irons vs aluminums will go a long way to buying you a good torque convertor.

So I blew a HG for the second time. (I have since found why it ran lean and fixed that issue). My engine was running beautiful with the TA49 before this happened. My question is, would I benefit from champion heads, steel or aluminum, at this time? Or should I just slap a head gasket on, spend the money elsewhere and keep driving? (currently running 7.40 in the 1/8th). Will I be kicking myself later for not doing heads while I have it apart? Will heads be overkill for the TA49 until I get a larger turbo?

My mods in sig are not current. I now have 120 injectors, bigger pump, feed and return lines.

Thanks!
What you need to ask your self is how fast do you want to go?if your not pushing the car and want to run the standard 49 combo into the 11s save your money as heads are not needed,if you want to run faster eventually and plan on heads cam and bigger turbo and the whole nine yards down the road and have the money now while the heads are off get them ported.fyi I ran stock heads and ported irons with a 49 turbo and there is no I'll effects but there will not be gains either other than you boost gauge will be lower to make the same power.

Thanks!
How much boost do you run now?
How much spark advance?

I haven't not touched the spark advance past what Eric has the chip set to.
That's good. It's probably 21 degrees. Don't advance it any more than that. Ethanol burns at a faster rate than gasoline,so it doesn't need a lot of advance. You can advance it and not see spark knock,but too much pressure too early in the power stroke can blow a gasket. I wanted to make sure that you weren't doing that.

Can you post a PL file from one of your runs?

Here are the 2 most current logs I have. With a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Still with the 60 # injectors

Attachments

• QuickSave.005.dat
    20.8 KB · Views: 127
  • QuickSave.003.dat
    385.5 KB · Views: 118
You're leaning out at the top of high gear...and showing 1.9 KR. Throw the high gear fuel at it. With E85 I'd be running bigger lines...and a larger pump. Changing headgaskets sucks. You have to be on the ball with Erics 5.7 chip in regards to heat/humidity for WOT.