You can type here any text you want

Drag Brakes, need opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbobitt

Looking to make some upgrades this winter. I want to replace the factory fronts and drum rears. So far I looked at the Willwood and Strange brakes and looking at the pictures the Willwoods look like they are made better. Obviously looking to save some weight.
Any opinions or other options ?

the strange stop great and they weigh about 20lbs vs 54 for stock caliper /rotor
but the strange push the rim out a little , not an issue with skinnies
fronts are pretty straight forward for install ,
for stock spindles cut ears , drill out and tap two existing holes each side
for trz fbody style spindles they just bolted up

the rears are a little trickier and for the 8.5 " i had to go to strange axles and eliminators and had to work with strange for custom milled eliminator on the inside half of their eliminators
i have the strange 4 piston for my moser 9" that has the large torino drums , but haven't got around to installing them yet

Last edited:
I do limited street driving and the car is heavy. I'm wondering if I should even consider the drag kits or just the pro street kits. They all seem really similar. Looking at the Aerospace brakes now also but have no experience with any of them.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could always do the Blazer knuckle upgrade Allen. It gives you a 10.7" rotor and dual piston calipers. Much better braking and installation is easy. Good2win22 has a set he's looking to sell if interested.;)

Looking to make some upgrades this winter. I want to replace the factory fronts and drum rears. So far I looked at the Willwood and Strange brakes and looking at the pictures the Willwoods look like they are made better. Obviously looking to save some weight.
Any opinions or other options ?
I went with the Wilwood drag fronts and the Moser rears. I could not be happier. I used the small bore 1.032 master cylinder from TRZ with the F-body front spindles for more weight loss. They stop incredibly well. I can stop on a 171+ mph pass with no chute at Cecil at 3350lbs. I was also able to stop at Island Dragway with a notoriously short shut down area with no problems. Rotors look excellent no warping or or overheating after a full season. Pedal feel is excellent.

I went with the Wilwood drag fronts and the Moser rears. I could not be happier. I used the small bore 1.032 master cylinder from TRZ with the F-body front spindles for more weight loss. They stop incredibly well. I can stop on a 171+ mph pass with no chute at Cecil at 3350lbs. I was also able to stop at Island Dragway with a notoriously short shut down area with no problems. Rotors look excellent no warping or or overheating after a full season. Pedal feel is excellent.
That's good to know. What style brakes, the pro street or drag race ?

The Drag brakes look like solid rotors and have me concerned about warping. I'm at 3650 now and hoping to loose a little weight.
AG.

That's good to know. What style brakes, the pro street or drag race ?

The Drag brakes look like solid rotors and have me concerned about warping. I'm at 3650 now and hoping to loose a little weight.
AG.
These are the lightweight drag brakes solid rotors. I'll guess if you drove a lot on the street and made repeated stops they might not be the way to go. If however just used for the track or a little street driving for cruise nights etc you should be fine.

That would be my intended usage. Not to much stop and go but mostly cruise nights and shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had wildwoods all around and I've had strange on another car. The strange are a thin rotor. They are fine for some street driving, but thin rotors do have issues on heavy cars. The wildwoods can be had either way. They were nice also and shut my car down no problem. I had vented rotors all around.

I've recently switched to Baer brakes and they are by far nicer than both. I have 12" rear brakes with a parking brake. They do the same thing in 11" with single or twin calipers. I have 13" fronts that came pre assembled on new spindles. I think they do the same on drag fronts. Their rotor quality is much better than the vented willwoods. They cost more, but in my opinion it's worth the difference.

I been leaning towards the vented rotors. I'm sure they are not as light as the solid but durability is a concern. The Aerospace ones look tempting and been looking into those.
AG.

Back