Tear Down at Richard Clark's

Charles Young

C Young
At the May Turbobuick.com avent at RC's. I asked him to listen to my car because it had just started making a funny knocking/rattling noise when accelerating. Beleive it or not, when just driving around town it sounded pretty good but when you got on it a little you could tell someting was wrong. He listened to it for about 10 seconds and said it had a problem in the bottom end, likely rod knock. Finally decided to tear it down with his help and boy did it have problems. First we noticed that it has blown head gaskets! I had no idea. Rod bearings actually looked pretty good so on to main caps. Then when we found main cap #4 had loose bolts. I mean like you could have taken them out with a pair of pliers probably. Not good! Next, when removing #3 main cap it fell apart in my hand. This thing was not far from self destructing completely. Got to it in just the nick of time! Thanks Richard for listening, stopping me from driving it further and guidance in tear down! Check out these pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4736.JPG
    IMG_4736.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4740.JPG
    IMG_4740.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 138
[emoji2962]crazy how things work out!keep us posted on what's next.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Maybe you can superglue that back together.:LOL:

So what do the experts say caused the cracked parts and blown gaskets?

How does the bearing look in the cracked main.

I was told the way to tell a rod from a main, (This was 30 yrs ago by an old dude!)
Free rev and let off and it knocks = rod.
Foot on beak and load the engine/drivetrain and it knocks = main.

So what do the experts say caused the cracked parts and blown gaskets?

How does the bearing look in the cracked main.

I was told the way to tell a rod from a main, (This was 30 yrs ago by an old dude!)
Free rev and let off and it knocks = rod.
Foot on beak and load the engine/drivetrain and it knocks = main.
No idea what caused the HG to blow or really how long it had been that way; we really didn't discuss the cause too much so I don't have any real insights. As for the broken main cap; it may have been over stressed due to #4 not being torqued properly and who knows how long that had been. The engine was last out of the car 2 owners ago; I think about 15 years ago.

The bearing in the cracked main really didn't look that bad. There were some marks on the back of the top half where it had been loose and chattering on the cap. Not sure if that is the right terminology; I am a novice at best with this stuff but learning a lot with this experience!

The engine in my limited had a main cap that looked just like that. I pulled it to fix the oil leaks and change the rear main seal. No noise, but the turbo had just gone out. Turns out, my crank was also cranked halfway around the radius on that journal. I’d be surprised if your crankshaft isn’t cracked.

Been working on this thing slowly but surely st Richard Clark's shop. What an amazing opportunity to work on my motor with the absolute best in the business. No where else in the world to do this as a novice like me!

aa1bd68409a4918497dfd2c7244f02c8.jpg
64726d6a6aaf2aa149dd46e3fa652792.jpg
2fea102725e69f0b354f4a5b484376e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long rod stroker, champion irons and intake....almost ready for the test stand I think.
Thanks to Richard, Bob and everyone at the shop!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk