ECM suggestions

Slix

rebuilding a stock engine, with some parts as budget allows. wondered if i should ditch the buick computer and go for aftermarket one, like fast or holley? any suggestions appreciated, leaning towards the holley as i understand its self tuning...

leaning towards the holley as i understand its self tuning...
The "self tune" is limited to the fuel map. You have to set up the entire tune.
Once running, and the correct parameters set, the system will dial in the fuel.
Cal has a FAST sportsman system, that would do what you want. He has first class help w/ startup, t/s, after the sale.
A stock engine, w/some upgrades, would be an ideal place for the addons, such as MAF translator, P Logger, wideband, etc.
I'm sure the "go fast" guys, with the stock ecms, will be in to help get you up and running.
Do some searching... Lots of info here.

leaning towards the holley as i understand its self tuning...
The "self tune" is limited to the fuel map. You have to set up the entire tune.
Once running, and the correct parameters set, the system will dial in the fuel.
Cal has a FAST sportsman system, that would do what you want. He has first class help w/ startup, t/s, after the sale.
A stock engine, w/some upgrades, would be an ideal place for the addons, such as MAF translator, P Logger, wideband, etc.
I'm sure the "go fast" guys, with the stock ecms, will be in to help get you up and running.
Do some searching... Lots of info here.
Yeah lots of info.. overload sometimes... So many options and choices and ways to get this done... Know I need a chip and injectors and probably wise to upgrade maf meter and fuel pump. Thanks, appreciate the help

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's a tough call between all the systems that are avaliable. (Holeey/FAST2.0X/FAST Sportsman/TT ECM/MS3Pro) It really comes down to long term goals, budget, and who you feel most comfortable working with. An important iece is how much time you plan leaning the system. The reason some systems (BS3) haven't seen success, is lack of support.

The reality is: Any TB vendor can get you started with systems they sell. If budget is an issue, stay with the stock ECM. If you go aftermarket; Buy it once, buy it right. It's a price competitive business and there are reasons some systems are more expensive than others. JMO

Last edited:
*For some reason, the system is not allowing me to "edit" the spelling errors*

It sounds like a chip would be just fine for what you are doing . Stock rebuild . I would put that money into something else like a nice bottom end . Is there a reason you are looking to get a different ecm? Is your wiring all bad ? What are your goals with this rebuild ?

It sounds like a chip would be just fine for what you are doing . Stock rebuild . I would put that money into something else like a nice bottom end . Is there a reason you are looking to get a different ecm? Is your wiring all bad ? What are your goals with this rebuild ?
Well reliability is at the top of the list. Was going to get this new "old" engine in with some upgrades to the bolt ons (headers, maf, injectors, fuel pump, wiring kits from Casper's, fuel.pressure and wideband gauges) then when I swap this freshened stock engine into my car I was going to have my blown engine rebuilt or go with an aluminum block if I can save the cash...either way add some aluminum heads and ported intake and get my spare brf beefed up...

For now just get the stock engine I have freshened up with new valve springs, gaskets, bearings, timing chain, oil pump and get that in the car and running so I can pull the blown engine out...

Okay that’s definitely not a mild rebuild if you are going to end up with a aluminum block . That’s a fully built motor big bucks so yea I’d look into a ms3 or I know Eric from turbo tweak has a new Ecm coming out soon that looks interesting

Okay that’s definitely not a mild rebuild if you are going to end up with a aluminum block . That’s a fully built motor big bucks so yea I’d look into a ms3 or I know Eric from turbo tweak has a new Ecm coming out soon that looks interesting
Yeah, well just want it fast and reliable above all else. And willing to sacrifice some speed for the reliability. Just didn't want to buy some parts that I can't use later on but it's kinda hard to get parts for a mild engine that will work well in something more powerful..

I need a chip now, and definitely new injectors, and maf meter. Can't ID my chip in the ecm and injectors are old red tops (30# I think)

Was thinking instead of a chip, just get something tuneable... But I see your point. Maybe better to wait till I need something more than the stock ECM

Yeah, well just want it fast and reliable above all else. And willing to sacrifice some speed for the reliability. Just didn't want to buy some parts that I can't use later on but it's kinda hard to get parts for a mild engine that will work well in something more powerful..

I need a chip now, and definitely new injectors, and maf meter. Can't ID my chip in the ecm and injectors are old red tops (30# I think)

Was thinking instead of a chip, just get something tuneable... But I see your point. Maybe better to wait till I need something more than the stock ECM
I see where you are coming6 from . You can have the strongest best parts on the earth and stuff still can break . It really comes down to a knowledgeable person who knows these motors assembling it for you . For a aluminum block there is only 2-3 ppl I would trust to do it right .

Yeah no.good machine shops around.me. They all crooks with bad reps inline, and I definitely know from.oersonal experience that 2 are just thieves. Worked for one and the other swapped my engine for someone else's junk...

You can go plenty fast on a stock ECM with a wide band chip from TT . Eric's chips are real close right out of the box , and if you add a Powerlogger it will be very easy to make adjustments . There are always Powerloggers & Scanmasters in the for sale section to save some cash .
I'm at low 10's with a stock ECM .

You can go plenty fast on a stock ECM with a wide band chip from TT . Eric's chips are real close right out of the box , and if you add a Powerlogger it will be very easy to make adjustments . There are always Powerloggers & Scanmasters in the for sale section to save some cash .
I'm at low 10's with a stock ECM .
I have the power logger, you suggest a scan master as well? Looking for a wideband and fuel pressure gauge now... thanks

you suggest a scan master as well?
Yes , mainly it will show you any knock retard & O2 milivolt readings at the time of the knock event without having to log every time you drive the car . It gives you most of the info the ECM see's and you can dial your car in pretty close with this info plus Powerlogger data logs .

I have a.caspers knock gauge (seems to work, wondering if caspers can check it for accuracy?).. and is the millivolt reading is a narrowband reading? How you figure out what the millivolt reading means?

It will read the narrowband until you install the wideband chip & WB O2 sensor . At WOT you want the O2 reading 780 + , below this you start getting into a lean condition ( lower the number the leaner ) . The Scanmaster will tell you what you O2's were at the time knock happened and how much knock retard .

Google " turbobuick scanmaster readings " lots of info there .

Thanks, I just swap out the narrowband sensors and run wideband sensors? Someone mentioned installing a wideband fauhe and sensor about 1' foot from the turbo on the downpipe...

I just swap out the narrowband sensors and run wideband sensors?
No , you would need a wide band chip from TT . I would get in touch with Eric @ Turbo Tweak , tell him what you plan on doing . He will get you going in the right direction . He also sells injectors . He has a chip , injector combo on his site .

Stock computer with a good chip IS very reliable..

I'm running the same ECM for about 15 years now. It has never left me stranded.

Pull the plugs on the ecm and make sure the pins are all clean corrosion free. Make sure the engine grounds on the back of the passenger head are all tight.

You really don't NEED a wideband. The narrowband o2 reading will do the job. You can tune a lightly modded car just fine with that. Is a wideband o2 nice to have? Yes but don't really need it.

Get a scanmaster for sure. That is the single best tool you can have. It will always be there to recall o2 millivolts and knock retard.

Take that caspers knock gauge and throw it away. It will drive you nuts with false alarms. Use the scanmaster.

My $.02