Eliminating the coolant S-hose

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
The S-hose is a PITA and always in the way of something. Eliminating the hose requires a 1/8" hole to be drilled in the thermostat flange, and locate the hole in the 12'O clock position upon reassembly.

Obviously, the S-hose ports need to be plugged. Plugging the manifold port is easy (3/8 NPT). I didn't want to put a rubber cap on the front cover nipple, and wanted to plug it on the car, without taking the complete front cover off.

The throttle body will need to be removed to create enough clearance for the 13mm wrench. Use grease on the tap and tap about 3-4 turns before cleaning the 1/4-18 NPT tap/re-greasing.
CAREFULLY clean the hole in the nipple with Qtips and be sure not so shove any chips inside. You can also pressurize the coolant system with LOW prsssure air. This will evacuate all the chips.

It would be much easier if the front cover is off, or removing the water pump . . . but that wasn't my solution.

Anyway . . . They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Worked great.
Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 2017-07-13 11.32.36.jpg
    2017-07-13 11.32.36.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 486
Always hated the s hose as well. The nipple on the water pump can be filled with epoxy putty as well. Once packed in the inside and out can be smoothed flat with a wet finger while epoxy is still soft.

I've found an easier way. Cut the S hose with ~4" connect to WP. plug and hose clamp it, done.

A hole in the thermostat sends that coolant though the radiator. The S hose sends it back through the block.

> a 1/8 in hole would serve the same purpose? seems like it would need to be larger

I agree, to me it isn't the same. A small hole in the thermostat placed at 12 o'clock helps burp air out of the system.

RemoveBeforeFlight

>I agree, to me it isn't the same. A small hole in the thermostat placed at 12 o'clock helps burp air out of the system.

thats what i was thinking 1/8 would be good for burping but as a return path seems to small

Here in the "tropics", we do not use thermostats at all, as we care more about running cooler.

In our short winters, a long sleeve shirt shirts gives our body enough heat when needed!

Here in the "tropics", we do not use thermostats at all, as we care more about running cooler.

In this case the S hose is redundant. Where I am a hot day is in the low 90's, a cold day is in the teens. So a 180° thermostat & S hose works well.

RemoveBeforeFlight

That actually works on these?

Last time I tried that in my old truck (actually didn't try it, thermostat got stuck open), it overheated because the water wasn't staying in the radiator long enough for any heat to come out of it. Replaced the thermostat and all was well. Haven't event attempted a thermostat deletion on anything since.

Looks like this thread should be moved to General Tech as there are some open ended questions for many, including myself.
At the time this was completed, I was still finishing up my engine fiasco and was a bit in a hurry. Probably should have spent more time studying and luckily, with the screw in plugs, it is easily reversible.

While what is posted makes perfect sense, . . . . after 2 X 6 mile rides in 95-97F ambient with AC on (170 Thermostat), I haven’t noticed any changes in coolant temp and "time to operating temp" conditions.