You can type here any text you want

Encounter with an '03 Cobra

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BuickMike

Money pit
I was leaving Pavillions saturday night and had the GN gassed up with Xylene in the tank and 18psi of boost. As I was leaving I was driving behind a white '03 Cobra that was at the car show. As we got on the freeway the onramp was a 2-laner. I got beside him and nailed it. I got the jump by a car length and he kept falling back until I let off st the top of 3rd. He was about 3 or 4 carlengths back at that point. He followed behind for awhile and then tried a fly by. I must admit it sounded pretty mean, especially with the supercharger whining. I hit the gas as he was passing me and he got about a car lenth before I started closing in. We both had to let off because of traffic. After awhile a lane opened up on the freeway and we hit it from a 70mph roll. He was right behind me but fell back about 5 or 6 carlengths by the time I was well into 4th. Later on in a small clearing we both hit it again from about 70 or 75. I was feathering the pedal to stay even and then the car shifted into 4th early. I put the pedal to the floor and he never gained at that point.

I thought that my high mileage GN with a cam that's going flat would surely be no match for an '03 Cobra, especially on the freeway. I guess we have nothing to worry about until everyone starts modding them.

was this with your te-44 turbo or your stocker? if it was with your stocker than sheesh i have nothing to worry about then:D the te-44 pulls way harder at 20lbs and up...trust me:)

Nice kill

WOW! I didn't know they made the 03 Slowbras in white though?

I'm also running 18 psi on Xylene on the street and the car freaken feels amazing. Same Turbo too.

I guess I shouldn't have a problem with on either. Can't wait to find one.
:cool:

Good kill. According to the Ford dorks at work, the Cobra is unstoppable. No offense to anybody that drives Fords, I've got a 98 Cobra myself, these guys like nothing but Fords. They'd take a Pinto over a Lambo, hence the name "Ford Dorks."

The 44 pulls that well? Oh I cant wait to get this thing tuned and see 20-22 psi. Running slicks and a good 60' do you think 11's are attainable on my current setup? I'm really having problems with running lean up top. It's not the pump or the regulator, so it might be the 868's anyone ever had a problem with them?

Originally posted by WH1
Good kill. According to the Ford dorks at work, the Cobra is unstoppable. No offense to anybody that drives Fords, I've got a 98 Cobra myself, these guys like nothing but Fords. They'd take a Pinto over a Lambo, hence the name "Ford Dorks."

As much as I like the '03 Cobra, I know that it is not invincible. I would think a turbo Regal with an upgraded turbo and the supporitng mods would be able to take a stock one.

Great kill!

I'm sure a turbo regal with an upgraded turbo and the supporting mods could also possibly take some '03 Cobras that are not stock.... Not every modded '03 Cobra is running mid to low 11's like all the Ford and Mustang guys want to believe and there are some fast bolt-on (stock longblock) turbo regals like my friends that ran 11.30's @119mph last week (this is with the a TE-62 turbo, 50lb injectors, 3" single shot exhaust, 9" 3200 stall Art Carr converter, and a V4 IC) with 24lbs of boost with a 1.64 60' off the foot brake with BFG DRs:) He is not scared of any '03 Cobras at the track cause the fastest one he has seen so far ran 11.80's @118mph (it has a pulley, exhaust, and that Diablo chip and I'm pretty sure it was also on BFG DRs) and the ones that are in the 10's at this point are not full weight street cars like his TR and they also have a lot more money into their '03 Cobras.... I think the '03 Cobras will be very good races for our TRs cause they are damn fast for what they are, but I don't think you will need a Stage II motor to beat them like some have made it sound cause I doubt all of them will be running deep in the 11's and 10's as time goes on!

Thanks for the replies :D

d0n_3d, I am currently running the TE-44 with the Precision .63 exhaust housing. It is very strong at high boost compared to the stocker.

trading t/a, you should be able to pull off 11's with your combo. If my valve springs that I changed 2 years back didn't kill my cam, I would be expecting 11.80's out of my car with my current combo. My best time was on a 90 degree day at Pamona in Calif. before I changed the valve springs. About 6 months after the valve spring change, I ran 12.51@109 w/ a 1.71 60ft in Tucson, AZ on a hot day with bad air. This was also with the stock turbo. A nice cool day in Pamona would shave 5 to 7 tenths off that time, so I can assume that my car could have scraped off a high 11 back in it's prime before I added the TE-44.

Naw, the guy was hammering through the gears pretty good. It did sound pretty sweet at high RPM's with the Supercharger whining. :D

If I was in the market for a new high performance car I think the '03 Cobra would be my first choice at this point. I'm really impressed even if one can't hang with my tired 'ol GN. ;)

Originally posted by stroked347
Not too bad, but the Cobra probably was in 5th the whole race:o

:rolleyes: ...Or he missed third right?? If I had a nickle for everytime I have heard that excuse for an asswhoping.

when i was driving my car (in storage now) i couldn't boost past 14lbs without the car starting to knock on regular 93 gas...i know i could have TONS of fun with 20+ psi on my te-44 but haven't got there yet...that's where alky injection comes in:p

the 03' cobra is no joke...it's fast as hell factory and with minimal mods it can beat most anything...but gotta love the fact that with just a turbo, injector, and intercooler upgrade us TRs can hang with most anything as well;)

I believe it! I've spanked plenty a Slobra. The 03's modded are challenging though. In Sac there are a couple in the 11's with nitrous. No biggie. When I get my wet kit installed I should be in the 10's. :D While they are grinding gears I'll be laughing at them in my rear view mirror. ;)

nice kill!

you guys are making me jealous. my TR can't even race the little roach in the garage :p.

Back