Engine & Trans Reliability

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I would like some feed back from folks who drag their cars. The tune is critical along with a working combination. I'm hoping to see a few 10 sec time slips after some seat time & fine tuning with proper fuel. I don't want to get a timeslip & never race the car again. Feed back would be helpful to eliminate my doubts. My 2 concerns are my short block & trans ( in my sig).

Can't see your signature in taptalk. Can you post it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can't see your signature in taptalk. Can you post it

Works 6765bb G4,TurboSmart 40mm gate , 315 XTF front mount, Monroe 62mm t/b , worked Hemco,stock Champion ported intake, Weber short block (3.400 eagle crank, molnar rods, diamond pistons, steel caps), ported GN1's, Cometics (8.72:1), 212/206, 111, .523/.503 , T&D 1.6 rockers, Trend, TA exhaust manifs, TA front cover, Flow Kooler water pump, GN1 3" d/p, Turbosmart 40mm wastegate, 3" straight shot exhaust, 80#, injector hot wire, KB fpr , Alradco,TR6, ignition hot wire, MSD Superconductors,BAP, Racetronix 430 lph sender & hot wire, XFI, redundant grounds, Racetronix 8AN feed & 6AN rtn fuel lines, Janis forged trans,B&m trans clr,"Dusty" PTC 9.5" n/l,HR bar,HR dr si mount, boxed uprs & lwrs, (90/10) frt shocks,275/60/15 BFG's ,trunk braces,alum drums,s10 whl cyls,long shoes,weight loss program (car & driver), lots more changes in the pipe .

His signature

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190909-193901_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190909-193901_Chrome.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 44
10s all day long with that setup. Now what's done with the rearend?

Driveshaft, eaton posi ???, Mosers, weld the tubes, new skins (295's if they'll fit without rolling the fenders) and I don't know enough about rear shocks for my specific case.

275/60/15 BFG's
Is this a drag radial?
Can you post some time slips?
Seems you have fired the parts cannon at it. Just have to get to work getting it to hook and making the tune work. You are tuning it yourself, right?

If the tune is on your good all day long in the 10s

No time slips as of yet. Yes I fired the parts cannon at it where I saw the need ( I worked on the Grand National / T-Type program, & TTA programs @ GM Powertrain/ BOC in the 80's). I wanted to build a turbo that would stand up to a hellcat & not fall apart on the track. I wanted to make the engine thermally & structurally efficient. Cal sent my a couple of files. I wanted to crack a 10 using 93 but I won't get there without a lot of risk. I built around the 109 but probably need a TA / stage block. Your feed backs are helping me to decide whether to get out of turbo regals or stay on.

If you aren't a die hard Buick TriSheild type, give up now. Get a fox and swap in an LS. No better combo to go fast, on the cheap, and do it reliably.

If the Buick v6 has you in the underdog and the Regal is just a great car to you, you will spend a lot of time and money getting it to do what you are after(some of which you already spent). To me this is the fun, but not everyone gets joy out of going to the track and grinding on it.

Doubt you are doing it on 93. Maybe with some alcohol. An e85 swap would make it way easier and more repeatable imo.

Alky and pump or I would go e85

How often are you driving the car? The parts are there if the tune is right. Wouldn't do it on just 93 pump gas. Like boost said above or run race fuel.

My original intent is either race gas or 93 pump & boostane. I sure the wide band will slowly deteriorate. I've been told by a couple of the best engine builders that the majority or engine failures were linked to alky. How can I link 2 different burn rates (gas & alky) by the XFI ? It can only be done by the SWAG method. E85 with a fuel sensor is another option, I want to run with hellcats & still have a running engine.

If you aren't a die hard Buick TriSheild type, give up now. Get a fox and swap in an LS. No better combo to go fast, on the cheap, and do it reliably.

If the Buick v6 has you in the underdog and the Regal is just a great car to you, you will spend a lot of time and money getting it to do what you are after(some of which you already spent). To me this is the fun, but not everyone gets joy out of going to the track and grinding on it.

Doubt you are doing it on 93. Maybe with some alcohol. An e85 swap would make it way easier and more repeatable imo.
I'm a die hard Buick guy but maybe not enough of a Buick die hard. I've only had this car since 11/1985. I hate to say this but I'm looking toward a hellcat. I seriously doubt that I can be on a 109 like a 6.2L

80% of the people in the Buick community who are running 10’s are doing it on FAR less than what you have in that motor and trans. We did it back In the 90’s on stock short blocks, no Alky, and none of the data logging available today. We did it 3 nights a weekend on the street all
Summer long. We were young and stupid and of course, poor. Once in a while we broke a piston and slid a new one in the hole to get to the next weekend. Sometimes a head gasket. Like I said, no money, no Alky, no Forged internals or Billet trans parts. Just big balls and no brains attached to them. Oh to be 18 again. I think you scared of the potential to break an expensive build and your mind may be made up that after 35 years there’s more reliable ways to have a 10 second car. I support that as, there are. I have had quite a few. 2018-19 Mustang GT with 10 speed auto and bolt on a Supercharger. You may go 10.0’s ;-)

Keep the boost down, go to the track, see what it runs. With the right tune, on race ported heads and some rpms, could go 10's on low boost on pump 93.

How often are you driving the car? The parts are there if the tune is right. Wouldn't do it on just 93 pump gas. Like boost said above or run race fuel.
I have not fired the new engine. I'm setting up wiring for the gages in the car to fire today/tomorrow. The is just a street/strip weekend toy so I wouldn't be driving it too much. I'll run race gas at the track & 93 with boostane. Obviously specific tunes are required. Under hood heat is a concern so the exhaust system may get coated during the off season.

One way to make it last longer is not to jump on it hard then let off hard. That whips the timing chain.