Engine wont turn completely by hand. (Stored engine)

Ok, I have a stock engine stored for approximately 6-8 years. I am now ready to get it running... My plans are to rebuild the motor eventually, but for now going to inspected.

Motor is not turning fully by hand, only a half turn whether counter clockwise or clockwise then it stops at the same location. Seems like something is holding from turning completely.

Things I done before posting the Thread:

Engine is currently on an Engine Stand.
I primed the oil pump - oil does come up.
I added fresh oil, and new spark plugs.
I removed the valve covers and intake. The rocker, springs and push rod are really dry. I could also remove the heads if necessary to verify if the pistons are seized..
I removed the oil pan and everything seem ok and lubricated.

My Question for you guys:
What can the issue be? Or what else do you guys recommend for me to do?

Thanks,

Stuck valve hitting piston?
Was the timing chain messed with before parking and never run?
Just guessing.

Remove the rocker arm assemblies and put a straight edge across the ends of the valve stems

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Why would you put new plugs in, and then try to turn it over by hand?
Take the plugs out, turns, Y/N?
Next, take the rockers off, turns, Y/N?
Next, take the ft cover off, inspect the timing chain. Wadded up, Y/N?
Process of elimination. Follow the suggestions others have made.

Why would you put new plugs in, and then try to turn it over by hand? lol just got excited when typing...
Take the plugs out, turns, Y/N? I did this without plus..
Next, take the rockers off, turns, Y/N? I will try this next
Next, take the ft cover off, inspect the timing chain. Wadded up, Y/N? I'll also try this

Why would you put new plugs in, and then try to turn it over by hand? lol just got excited when typing...
Take the plugs out, turns, Y/N? I did this without plugs.. No luck
Next, take the rockers off, turns, Y/N? I will try this next..
Next, take the ft cover off, inspect the timing chain. Wadded up, Y/N? I will also try this..

Thank you...

ok try taking out the plugs but I don't think thats it.. I had a 18k motor that did that.. NOT a pretty site.

How about why is the engine on the stand? Did you blow a head gasket and leave coolant in the cylinder? Spin a bearing? Did the crank snap? Who knows. I highly doubt you are going to get this engine "running" with out a full tear down and evaluation.

oh didn't see ya already tried taking the plugs out. bought a TTA motor with 18k on it. Motor was clean an had all sorts of chrome on it an a lot of other parts. Got it home and a week later got it on an engine stand. tried to turn it over an would only go so far like yours. Car it was in was getting a roll bar at a shop. Had no hood on it. AND HAD NO INJECTORS IN IT. they put it outside an it rained. results here. Hope for your sake it isnt like this.
motor16.JPG

That’s going to take more then cleaning it out . I would be looking at boring it out .010 and rebuilding it if that was my motor

Take the plugs out, turns, Y/N? I did this without plugs.. No luck
Next, take the rockers off, turns, Y/N? I will try this next..
Next, take the ft cover off, inspect the timing chain. Wadded up, Y/N? I will also try this..

Thank you...
Whatever you do anytime you turn the engine over that has been setting you need to pull the plugs out and squirt oil in the holes a lot of it and not saying this is a case but sounds like a broken Rod to me not saying that's it but usually if the valves aren't hanging and you still have this problem this could be it I've seen is quite a bit better pull the pan off hope this isn't it good luck

Here's a few pics i will remove the rockers tomorrow and try to turn it. I might add oil to the spark plug holes. Rod seem to be intact....

Attachments

• 20170501_184501.jpg
    20170501_184501.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 20170501_184450.jpg
    20170501_184450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
  • 20170501_184414.jpg
    20170501_184414.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • 20170501_184428.jpg
    20170501_184428.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
  • 20170501_184421.jpg
    20170501_184421.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • 20170425_193021.jpg
    20170425_193021.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
That’s going to take more then cleaning it out . I would be looking at boring it out .010 and rebuilding it if that was my motor

shortblock has been sitting in my pile of motors for years. rest of the parts were sold off. hell looking at the pic I have to go look at it to see if the TTA motor mounts are still on it. :cool:

Whatever you do anytime you turn the engine over that has been setting you need to pull the plugs out and squirt oil in the holes a lot of it and not saying this is a case but sounds like a broken Rod to me not saying that's it but usually if the valves aren't hanging and you still have this problem this could be it I've seen is quite a bit better pull the pan off hope this isn't it good luck

Pictures added...

The oil shining in the sun looks contaminated with copper. The pickup has a bunch of crap on it. I'm betting the heads lifted with detonation and coolant seeped into a few cylinders then it sat.