You can type here any text you want

Excessive wheel weights

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
How many of you guys have had alot of weight when mounting/balancing drag radials?? I know it is not the wheels, I spun the tire and that helped but I had the machine call for 9oz on one side. These are 10in GTAs and m&h 275 55 16's. I did get the wheel to balance out.

anything over 2 oz is too much. find a tire shop that has a road force wheel ballancer and have them go over the tires and wheels and it will tell you what is wrong. and make sure the tire screws are spaced equally around the rim

anything over 2 oz is too much. find a tire shop that has a road force wheel ballancer and have them go over the tires and wheels and it will tell you what is wrong. and make sure the tire screws are spaced equally around the rim
I am the tire shop...LOL....and we have the road force balancer Rims are round, tires are new MH drag radials, car rides fines. Lots of cars on the road with over 2oz .

My tire guy breaks the bead loose and spins the tire 1/4 turn at a time to get each tire as close as possible so to add the least amount of weight.

My tire guy breaks the bead loose and spins the tire 1/4 turn at a time to get each tire as close as possible so to add the least amount of weight.
You have a really good tire guy.

Being on flat rate no way I am doing that.

it is NOT uncommon to have to use excessive weights on drag tires,
9oz is alot, I'd try rotating the tire on the rim ,see if that helps,
double check to be sure rim is mounted on the machine correctly,
or no dirt behind the rim, etc.

it is NOT uncommon to have to use excessive weights on drag tires,
9oz is alot, I'd try rotating the tire on the rim ,see if that helps,
double check to be sure rim is mounted on the machine correctly,
or no dirt behind the rim, etc.
Thanks. I have covered those bases. Car rides fine.

And waiting for a response from this site is faster? You could have already rotated that tire around the rim already. I don't get it.
As fas as my car I did that it took lots of weight either way. Get it now?

I did not. Another thing I notice is the wheels that have been cut and widened tend to take more weight so I am good with it at this point.

I did not. Another thing I notice is the wheels that have been cut and widened tend to take more weight so I am good with it at this point.

probably due to an uneven weld- do you by chance generally have to put the weights opposite from where the welds on the piece that was added in started and ended?

if you put the wheels on an old school bubble balancer with no tires on them, do they float level?

I have 16 by 8 GTA's that all have the same amount of wheel weight on them.
There's six 1/4 oz or 7 gram weight bar squares that add up to only 1.5 ouces without any balance issues. But i think the lighter weight rims need less wheel weight to balance them out vs the heavier weight rims. But then again i do have all rear only rims, so maybe that has a part in the equal on front and rear.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
probably due to an uneven weld- do you by chance generally have to put the weights opposite from where the welds on the piece that was added in started and ended?

if you put the wheels on an old school bubble balancer with no tires on them, do they float level?
I have not paid attention to the welds, I will look next time I balance them. They are 16x10 done by Tru-design...who I believe is now out of business...LOL...

Back