Fed up in DFW Texas area

I suggest that you join the Lone Star Performance Buick Club and meet some of the members before you go and take your car to anyone unless you want to spend some big bucks on it. It doesn't sound like anything too major is wrong with your car. A buddy system type of diagnosis and parts swapping might save you a bundle in new parts that will not fix the problem. It is amazing how much money some people can throw at these cars and still have them run like dirt.

Good luck.

Now i have a lot more things to check. The egr is fine, i just replaced it. The old one blew out part of the gasket. I will look for a crack on the driverside header. Where is the crack usually located?? Is there a easy way to check??? I am going to check that air sensor. I am going to spend a few hours this week end going over some more ideas before a call one of the shops you guys have been nice enough to name and provide numbers. Thanks for all the help.

Hey 14mins, email me at DCVING6@aol.com with you email address. I think I have some pictures somewhere of my header where it cracked at, I can send em to you if I can find them.

Get some carb cleaner and put on the little red nozle jet thing. The idea is to find a vacuum leak with it by sprying all vacuum areas on the motor. Spray the vacuum block , all vac hoses, the manifold to head surfaces, throttle body , plenum mating surfaces and pivots of TB. If a leak is sprayed on an area which is leaking, the engoine will clear up momentarily as it burns the carb cleaner and youve found it. If your o2s are low at idle and off idle it could be vac leak.
GL

No matter what i did it still will not idle when cold.

I had this exact problem when I bought my first GN, I took out the IAC motor(which was dirty) and sprayed it clean with carb cleaner, car ran perfect after that on cold start ups. I found this remedy in one of the old ATR newsletters - pre TB.Com years.:)

Re: whatever you do, DFWTurbo is an idiot

Originally posted by DFWTurbo
Billy is a painter and cant really paint that good. He painted my car and the master he says he is needs to go back to school. runs runs runs. he laso checked out my car before i bought it. he said it was perfect. its a pice of Sh*t. stay away from that guy he is a hacker of the highest degree.

DFWTurbo,
I was hoping to have more than one post coming from your signature but by the looks of your grammer I can see that it was an effort for you to get this far. I'm sure you don't even have a Buick.
Billy painted my car 6 years ago and I'm still winning car shows with it today. He also has been diagnosing Buicks at least since 1990.

14mins,
Billy is just down the road from you off of 820. If you don't want to take it to a shop then Email me directly so I can help you. There are a number of Buick owners in DFW that could help.

Larry J.
TrboHead

Assuming good gas and a clean and happy fuel distribution system meaning lines, filter and pump, I would dump a gallon of xylene in about 4 gallons of gas and drive the car a bit.

Might clear up an injector or two. I'd also redo the wires and plugs cleaning and inspecting them often in this process.

Also check the tps and adjustit.

IACV should be cleaned and reset.

Use that scanmaster. :)

14mins, have you made any progress on the beast? Never mentioned what your IAC counts were at idle, should be between 10-40 for best results?
You said the dealer had replaced your MAF? When and what type did they replace it with as the originals were discontinued long ago and most of the after market ones are trash. Whats your MAF readings at idle, should be around 5-6 gpms.
I'd be happy to swap out a MAF to see if it helps it any. Myself and Rob Baker are just down the road from you on the west side of FTW. If not, as John Purdom mentioned, Scot Whitehorn should be able to tune it up and find whats wrong and he is very reasonable. And I've never heard a bad thing about Billy Duke either.

billy duke

im new to buicks only had one about 6 months,but i have known of billy for 10 years thru friends with quick buicks.he has helped me so much i couldnt have paid him enough.matter of fact i went there today .once again he was great help.he has a great name in this area and he knows how to work on a mild car thats what mine is.

Re: billy duke

Originally posted by miike1
im new to buicks only had one about 6 months,but i have known of billy for 10 years thru friends with quick buicks.he has helped me so much i couldnt have paid him enough.matter of fact i went there today .once again he was great help.he has a great name in this area and he knows how to work on a mild car thats what mine is.

Hey Mike, welcome to the Buick community. I've had mine for less than a year, but what fun, huh? I would love to see your Plymouth, is it a 426 wedge car? I'm in my late 40's, and have been driving muscle cars and sports cars all of my life. I love all of the old factory S/S cars.. In the early 70's I had a chance to buy a real 426 crossram S/S car, but I was just a kid, and the car had to be a daily driver. It only had one seat and a cage, so I passed. Kicked myself ever since! There was a fully restored 64 Dodge Polara CONVERTIBLE w/a factory 426 wedge/auto for sale at the swap meet in Arlington at the end of the summer. He had all the documentation and wanted $16,000. That has to be a rare combination (convert/426 wedge). I would have bought it had I not recently bought the GN.

Sounds like you dig unique muscle cars, as I do. You are going to love that Buick. Confuses the hell out of those kids in their new Camaro SS's when you leave them like they're still in park! Just hang on to your wallet...

Ck out this site http://www.lspbc.org/
for the Lone Star Performance Buick Club. Great bunch of people in the Buick community who support each other and share info. Unfortunately, there's always one douche bag that makes everybody look bad, like our little dweeb here that dissed Billy. My experience w/Billy has been much like yours; he has given me much free help and info.

Hope to see you and your cars out this season!

hello john

the 63 has a 440 in it now still has the push button shift.I run it in the superstock races here locally.The car still is streetable matter of fact i drove it to billys sunday.I sure love my buick its a 70000 mile car hadnt been modified when i got it.I put exhaust and fuel pump and one of Billys chips. I ran it last september one time out at Kenedale ths car went 7.91 and backed with a 7.95 on a 90 degree day.I was very shocked how easy it ran that.The old car will run 7.00 all day long and has ran a 6.90 once.But thats with 108 fuel and it only gets about 4 mpg.So it stays home alot and the Buick has become my baby.I have been thinking about selling the plymouth here lately

Where do you compete is S/S racing? S/S is my all time favorite class, but I haven't seen any in years other than national meets. Are there local tracks sponsoring S/S events?

Billy makes a heck of a chip. I have 2 of them, a 26 degree street, and a 28 degree race chip. When I put the translator in the car, I decided I would try the Extender chip that is designed just for the Translator. I have to admit that driveability and idle were improved, but I swear, the car felt like it lost 100 hp when compared to Billy's chip. Billy just did a chip for my 55# injectors and new turbo. I'm anxious to start flogging the new setup.

Just to scare the hell out of my wife...what would you be asking for the Plymouth? :D

superstock races

sorry about the slow post. there is a group of guys that really trying to get a circuit in this area .last year we ran one up at sanger on oct.11 th.i was lucky that weekend and won the event.the web site is http://www.stormpages.com/mopard/. went to memphis last year they had about 35 cars show up .i have been really thinking about what i want for the plymouth,probably around 12000.00