Fiberglass Hoods

Is there any of the fiberglass hoods that are more or less perfect , could pass as an original ?

i have both
the hartline on my 87ttop looks like OE even with the hood up
the hartline is a two piece molded hood. outer and inner structure was cast from an original so it retains all the spot weld look along the edges
having the same structure underneath as original you can mount the underhood insulating liner with the original push pins (just drill the holes which isnt hard because you can see where they were on the fiberglass) once installed hardly anyone would know its not steel even with the hood up at car shows

the kirbin on my 86 has a racer style underside its asingle peice molded with a 1x1 perimiter support molded into the glass on the underside and does not look original with hood up and you cant attach the original hood insulator
closed looks like any other steel hood

both bolted to stock hinges and hood supports and need a weaker hood strut (kirban sells them) and both latch nicely using the stock latch but needed the hood spring at the latch area moved to the radsupport

whichever you go with final look on the car is dependent on how much time your body guy spends leveling it out , it is fiberglass gelcoat surface and its not dead flat
the hartine was better than the kirban but the hartline was also more expensive and depending on where you live there's the cost to get one delivered to your location
if open hood looking stock matters ...decision is a no brainer ..get the hartline

i have both
the hartline on my 87ttop looks like OE even with the hood up
the hartline is a two piece molded hood. outer and inner structure was cast from an original so it retains all the spot weld look along the edges
having the same structure underneath as original you can mount the underhood insulating liner with the original push pins (just drill the holes which isnt hard because you can see where they were on the fiberglass) once installed hardly anyone would know its not steel even with the hood up at car shows

the kirbin on my 86 has a racer style underside its asingle peice molded with a 1x1 perimiter support molded into the glass on the underside and does not look original with hood up and you cant attach the original hood insulator
closed looks like any other steel hood

both bolted to stock hinges and hood supports and need a weaker hood strut (kirban sells them) and both latch nicely using the stock latch but needed the hood spring at the latch area moved to the radsupport

whichever you go with final look on the car is dependent on how much time your body guy spends leveling it out , it is fiberglass gelcoat surface and its not dead flat
the hartine was better than the kirban but the hartline was also more expensive and depending on where you live there's the cost to get one delivered to your location
if open hood looking stock matters ...decision is a no brainer ..get the hartline

thank you so much , I ll go with the hartline , what did you have to do with the hood latch ? and do you know the weight savings ? I am hoping for some advantage because its weight off the nose of the car ? or am I dreaming ?

latch is fine, even reuses the safety latch ,just the hood pop up spring location gets moved fromhood to the rad support and most use a lighter spring
stock hood isnt that heavy because its thin steel but i think is 52# without the hoodliner

latch is fine, even reuses the safety latch ,just the hood pop up spring location gets moved fromhood to the rad support and most use a lighter spring
stock hood isnt that heavy because its thin steel but i think is 52# without the hoodliner
so do you mean we save 52 pounds ?. I am in Canada , so I ll have to do the big drive to get mine , yuck !

maybe it got lost in the metric to std conversion or maybe the language translation from english to canadian

the .. stock ... hood.. weighs .. 52lbs :)

If you wind up down in Florida to pick one of Cal's hoods up and have room for a second, I could sure use some help getting one up to Canada as well. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Are they not packaged correctly for freight to Canada? FL is quite a stint for a hood... even Sweetgrass after fuel and time isn't worth it most of the time unless the carrier to Canada is a joke.

I would keep the truck freight to a minimum. Never had much luck with those guys myself.

Well I'm also in Alberta, just started my lightweight body panel hunt this morning, so I likely have a few weeks of searching, month or two of mulling it in around my head then I'll do something as well sometime. I'll keep watching here for what you guys do and maybe if we get enough of them together it would be worth it for a drive down, or help arrange freight with people we use often (if they are packaged properly).

Cal are they packaged well enough to survive the trip to Canada in the hands of multiple trade offs? I know some of the chinese crap comes in cardboard only, always damaged, but the US/Japan/German stuff sometimes has wood reinforcement, much better. How many would secure to a pallet nicely?

Cal are they packaged well enough to survive the trip to Canada in the hands of multiple trade offs? I know some of the chinese crap comes in cardboard only, always damaged, but the US/Japan/German stuff sometimes has wood reinforcement, much better. How many would secure to a pallet nicely?
Because the Hoods have to be Truck Freighted, it is very costly to ship to Canada. Plus going through customs is also difficult. So we don't ship them to Canada.

I just bought one, is a lighter spring necessary when you move it to the core support and if so, where do i get one? Is there a certain place it should be mounted that works better and how are you guys attaching it to the support?