You can type here any text you want

Ford 9" guys, please step in......................

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

Ok guys, now two of my 4 Grand Nationals have Ford 9" rear ends. In the Stage car, I opted to go with Moser's new Wavetrac unit which is supposed to hold up mega HP and has a lifetime garauntee. It also drives like a usual posi rear end with smooth transitions around curves but once you nail it, it'll essentially acts like a locker. I like this center section very much but I'm not willing to dish out the major $$$$ for another one.

So that brings me into a dilema becuase I need a center section for the other car. It currently has an exploded center section with a spool. The aluminum third member gave out and took out the rear end, exhaust, trans, and motor.:eek: This time around, I'm not f'ing around with the aluminum garbage and will definately go with a Nodular iron third member.

But I'm on the fence on what to use in the rear end. I'd like to keep the spool. But I plan to drive the car frequently this year so I dont want one because of the poor street manners. Now if I just go with a True Trac (basically a standard posi), how well do these hook at the track? Anybody having good straight launches and making good numbers with one? Or how about a Detroit Locker? I really would rather not have one because of the clicking and poor cornering but I know they work at the track and can be driven on the street. But, how do you guys that run one like it one the street? Is is something that you'll never do again?

Great topic. My low mile Curie 9" is spinning peg leg again. Ford posi unit. Local gear shop shimmed the clutches a while back and said the clutches looked great.

I also do not want a detroit.

Sorry, Thats all I got! :p

Ran a Detroit Locker in my pro street Chevelle and replaced it with a Ford posi unit. Couldn't stand the ratcheting effect around corners. Got a Ford posi unit in my Currie rear in the GN, burned it out racing and had to put new clutches in it.

I had a locker (in a 9") in my Z28, never really knew it was there, it didnt feel any different to me than the stock posi, guess I got a good one, :rolleyes: I didnt feel anything (bad) around corners, didnt hear any clicking, etc.

Ford 9 inch

My car has a Currie Ford 9 inch. It had a 31 spline Detroit locker in it and while it was awesome on straight away launches I didn't keep it in the rear as I don't drag race the car. I street drive it and plan on doing a pro touring setup instead. No longer interested in just drag racing. I went with a U.S. gear trac loc with a billet center section and gear works locally said if I ever burn the clutches out such as if I started drag racing it again the clutches are only $50.00. So I went with it and I really like it. Not to say the Detroit locker wasn't effective or as bad as a spool but I really wanted a more friendly posi that would be strong and if I ever burnt the clutches I could get them right around the corner quickly. That was my decision. I'm selling the Detroit for $250.00 if anyone happens to be interested. It's in excellent condition.

It all depends on the power and weight of the car. The Tru-trac will be the weakest since it's still a clutch type. The locker types can take the power but you have to be willing to put up with the clunky action on the street. The locker types pretty much stink on the street. A buddy of mine just ditched his Detroit Locker for a Wavetrac.

The Wavetrac is hands down the best thing out there but it is pricey. I run one in my 9 sec street car. It's a worthwhile investment with the lifetime warranty.

Nothing wrong with aluminum centers if they are set up properly. I run them in all my cars. I have one that has lived for 15years in my 7 sec car.

ford 9"?

A little off topic but what do these Currie Ford 9' with 33 spline go for in price thanks.

ford 9"?

A little off topic but what do these Currie Ford 9' with 33 spline go for new in price thanks.

I just bought a Ford 9". Nodular iron case, 35 spline, 1350 yoke, upgraded bearings, and the Wavetrac unit. $2800.

Lifetime warranty. Do it once...

Jason

TransAm007.jpg

TransAm008.jpg

I have pictures of the actualy wavetrac unit but I can't find them right now. Must still be on the camera.

Yeah the Wavetrac is an unbeatable set up! My Wavetrac in my Stage car is a 35 spline unit. I'm on the fence on what to buy at this point. I'd really hate to get the clutch type because I know it'll burn up. The rear in the other GN that I need to replace has 33 spline axles so that limits me too.

If anyone is looking for a 9" Ford for a G-body I'll be selling mine once my new fabricated housing is complete...probably sometime in March due to the wait for the 40 spline axles.

Only reason I'm upgrading is to loose some weight and go to the 40 spline set-up for the power level I'm at.

I have a 9" nodular case, stock width rear. 35 spline spool and axles, 3.70 gears and will also include the wolfe double adjustable uppers and lowers with spherical bushings for $2400. Housing ends are the large Torino style so any brake system will easily bolt on.

Polzin....just sell some of those Go Fast parts off of that GN you just picked up and order another Wavetrac. I wish I had your money!!!

Polzin....just sell some of those Go Fast parts off of that GN you just picked up and order another Wavetrac. I wish I had your money!!!

I wish you did too! Then I can have yours instead!!:biggrin: Yeah I'm going to sell the BGC intake, the Cat crank, and few other odds and ins so I can replace this drivetrain. The whole thing is shelled but i have plenty of motors built here that can go back in. Just need a trans and rear end center section. Then it'll be time to bust some Pony nuts!!!

Probably going to sell the 84 once its out from paint and the low mile GN too!

...Couldn't stand the ratcheting effect around corners...

Mark, did yours ever bang? My LS powered Maverick has a used circle track locker, occasionally it'll go "click, click, click, BANG (car lurches sideways a few inches), click, click, click around corners. :eek: Scares the h^ll out of me every time! When it does that, I always wonder whether it'll get me home or in a guardrail first... :frown:

Yup, was a brand new unit direct from Ford. Had a friend who was a parts manager at a dealer. Think it might be more pronounced on a pro street car. Had 33 x 19.50's on the Chevelle, taking a tight exit ramp was always fun.

Back