You can type here any text you want

Front control arm replacement procedure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
I have new Umi Performance tubular upper and lower front control arms en route. I got the ones with 1/2" taller upper bushings and ball joints already installed.

What's the best way to approach this? Will I need a spring compressor? If not, do I just jack the car up and then just unbolt them? Not looking for a step by step but rather a Cliff's Notes version and any pointers that would help the process.

Yes, rent a spring compressor from Autozone. Remove the shock, put jackstand under the lower control arm, insert the spring compressor and just crank it down until the spring gets a little loose inside the control arms, loosen the nut on the upper ball joint to about the last couple of threads and then break the upper ball joint loose (hit the side of the spindle with a hammer to jar it free). Hold the spring by the sides in case the compressor fails (it won't) and don't let your hands, fingers or body be inside of or in between the end of the spring and something else. Just be careful. Everything else is easy - make written notes about how many shims are on each end of the upper control arm and keep up with them, replacing them in the same place you removed them from. You can learn about the spring compressor (or what not to do) on youtube.

Last edited:
Just finished rebuilding the entire front end with the Umi control arms and used Moog stock replacement parts for all of the steering components (i.e., intermediate shaft, inner/outer tie rods, adjuster sleeves, and idler arm). Also replaced the rotors and wheel bearings because they were on their way out and the sway bar bushings and end links (Energy Suspension). Those front coil springs are a BITCH to get back in due to the design of the Umi lower arms. Also, the upper control arm shaft bolt holes were 11.5mm whereas the stockers are 12mm. That pissed me off a bit and slowed me down considerably. Gonna have a chat with them over that one. Can't wait to get it aligned and see how much better it feels.

Moral of the story is, use a good coil spring compressor and crank that mofo down as far as possible. Also, a pressure washer works great at cleaning the spindles.

Back