Full Restoration t-type

87we410877

Hi i had a thread about a year ago "help with frame off". Well i got it apart. Here are some pics. Tell me what you think and please give me any pointers. There will be alot of questions in this thread and i hope you guys can help. Enjoy. I pulled the front end off and i'll get pics of that soon.

Attachments

• DCP_4415.jpg
    DCP_4415.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,479
  • DCP_4417.jpg
    DCP_4417.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,459
  • DCP_4420.jpg
    DCP_4420.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,424
  • DCP_4418.jpg
    DCP_4418.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,410
Here is a quick tip. NEVER use blocks to hold up something with that kind of weight. They have a tendancy to crack or fully break and there goes your ride. Always use solid wooden blocks. Could you imagine if your car came crumbling down? :eek:

Looks like you've been hard at it, hang in there, looking good.

Got one question....Where did you get the portable garage and how much was it? Shoot me a pm if you don't mind to help keep your progress thread on track.

Here is a quick tip. NEVER use blocks to hold up something with that kind of weight. They have a tendancy to crack or fully break and there goes your ride. Always use solid wooden blocks. Could you imagine if your car came crumbling down? :eek:

all that weight and your worried about the concrete blocks that make a foundation.

Not worried at all about the toothpicks holding the car up?:eek:

Looks like its holding the car up just fine, id support it in the middle just for safety sake

BW

blocks

Yea you should never stack blocks like you have them stacked.You should have stacked them with wholes up. not flat on there side so they can break. always use them like building a foundation.

You may want to consider taking all components off your frame and sending it out for sand blast and powder coating. It may prove to be easier and cheaper than stripping and painting with some sort of chassis paint.

that tent would serve a better purpose as a " Chop shop " until we get enough $$$ for a covert shop ..the Meth lab and brothel plan at my house should propel the funds forward .forget the resto then its New GNXs, caddy CTS V , Corvette ZR1s and whatever else drives good for us both

You may want to consider taking all components off your frame and sending it out for sand blast and powder coating. It may prove to be easier and cheaper than stripping and painting with some sort of chassis paint.

Thats exactly what is getting done. Ive herd nothing good about any type of frame paint so the whole thing is getting blasted, epoxy primed and painted gloss black. Ive talked to shops who have used POR 15, SEM frame paint, Worth, and others and they all just peal off. Everything is coming apart and getting new bushings. The part im stripping is the underbody as that is getting painted the same color as the car.

And to make you guys happy, i'll re-arrange the blocks. hahah. The 4x4's hold the car very well and barely flex at all when the weight was put on them. Im not concered with that being the week link at all.

Ive been doing some work and the underbody of the car. Its almost all down to bare metal. I'll take some pics and get back soon. Thanks.

Wow. Stripping undercoating is time consuming. And then to get all the rust spost off. this sucks!!!. Anyway, i used Kleen strip paint stripper and layed it on thick. Then scraped it off with metal and plastic scrapers, wire brush, and wire wheels. That had to be done about 4 times. When its down to metal, i sand blast the areas that cant be reached with the brushes and the rust spots. Then i de-grease with wax and grease remover useing a brush and a spray bottle then some on a towel. I have SEM self etching primer on it now to keep it from rusting. Later it will get sealed and painted the color of the car. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 840
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 826
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 821
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 819
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 803
Ok. So between graduating and getting a real job in NYC ive been busy. Hence 2.5 years later lol. Ive been doing alot of work on the car!! After inventing the wheel a few times, a torch and scraper and wire wheels make for the best undercoat and rust removal. You can see in some pics up in the the frame rail cavities some surface rust. I couldnt get up in there with the wheel so i had to sand blast them both and make a mess. I also blasted the other areas i couldnt get with the wheel.

Since i couldnt do it all in one shot, i used SEM Self etching gray primer to seal and prevent rust from forming on the areas i worked on each week. Once down to bare metal, i used wax and grease remover on the area, heated and primed.

After the whole bottom had no rust, and was primmed section by section i finally got the sealer on there which is PPG Non sanding Epoxy Primer. It really came out nice and i was lucky to have such a clean body to start with.

Enjoy the pics!!! Theres a lot

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 654
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 668
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 653
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 658
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 642
More before and during stripping.

more before and stripping.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 580
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 602
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 573
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 602
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 586
More Primmed :) looking fresh!!!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 533
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 542
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 517
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 527
Stripped and Primed

I reversed my order. Should be stripped pics then primed. Oh well.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 514
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 510
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 513
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 503
Some more bare metal and stripped

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 499
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 490
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 506
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 501
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 488
Stripped and Sealed

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 490
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 503
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 512
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 510
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 492
Last two

Last two. The bottom is DONE!!! And hopefully that was the worst part. God did i hate doing that. Expecially since i was so anal about getting every piece of rust off. On to the firewall. Man is it nice working on my feet again!! :)

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 548
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 558
Now i need some advise on what color to paint the bottom. I was originally going to do it metalic dark blue like the exterior of the car (same color) but after spraying the black prime, i dont like how the dark color hides alot of the body lines. Especially since its going to be dark under there. Next i thought of doing a silver metalic single stage. I think that would look amazing with the gloss or semi gloss black frame and exhaust and stuff. Tho its not original i think it would be alot better then the dark almost black blue that will just blend in and hide all my hard work. What do you think?

Firewall pics to come soon!!