GEN1 PT5862 CEA or a PT5858 CEA

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Dec 14, 2004
Houston, Texas
All the OP is looking for is to get rid of turbo surge with the TA49. I don't think he is looking to run a turbo to its limit, or to build a balls to the walls 45 PSI car that races for big money.

He doesn't need a 6X BB turbo. Lol
Now if he wants one, great!
Need one? No.

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Dec 14, 2004
Houston, Texas
OP,
Here is a good thread to help decide if you want or need a 6X gold plated BB turbo. Lol

TTA976

Jun 22, 2014
All the OP is looking for is to get rid of turbo surge with the TA49. I don't think he is looking to run a turbo to its limit, or to build a balls to the walls 45 PSI car that races for big money.

He doesn't need a 6X BB turbo. Lol
Now if he wants one, great!
Need one? No.
Huh?

62 mm is where you want to be In regards to compressor size on 3.8 liter

Run a 49 and run a 62 mm at 25-27 psi with race gas...Check your iats and post back. No alcohol to mask the problem...

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Dec 14, 2004
Houston, Texas
Huh?

62 mm is where you want to be In regards to compressor size on 3.8 liter

Run a 49 and run a 62 mm at 25-27 psi with race gas...Check your iats and post back. No alcohol to mask the problem...
6X BB = 6 (times) ball bearing turbo. Lol

And thanks for that.
I have been analyzing IAT data and studied various turbo maps since around 2006. Hahaha.

TTA976

Jun 22, 2014
Totally understand the thread you don’t need a bigger turbo but 62 BB but it’s a better option than 58mm

And te63 is a big turbo lol. 6365

Mr.Spool

Nov 6, 2006
OP has a 10.5 3200,a 62 billet single or super duper bb will bolt right up and work as they are lighter and have better aero.a 63/66 cast turbo wont spool well with that converter.i sure wouldn't go from a 49 to a 58,especially if a person feels bb does nothing;)

Nov 14, 2005
Amherst,NY
i do know that I am not out of turbo with the 49. My turbo surge is just out of control. Sometimes its just the flutter which doesn't bother me but it will surge so bad that it will feel like you let off the gas and it starts slowing down like you hit the brakes until it comes out of that boost range and it makes the engine stumble / misfire for bit. Its fine at every other throttle position. Also happens at the track after the burnout and almost stalls the car. I have tried turning off the meth thinking it was that but it is not. It just makes the car crappy to drive on the streets with any boost, its either no boost or blowing the tires off and no in between. My main goal was to replace this with something similar that wouldn't surge. I can only run down to a 7.35 at the track without a cage and I don't want to cut this car up it to nice for that. I guess if I did get a 6262 and it sucked with my converter I could always save up for a converter.

Last edited:

Mr.Spool

Nov 6, 2006
i do know that I am not out of turbo with the 49. My turbo surge is just out of control. Sometimes its just the flutter which doesn't bother me but it will surge so bad that it will feel like you let off the gas and it starts slowing down like you hit the brakes until it comes out of that boost range and it makes the engine stumble / misfire for bit. Its fine at every other throttle position. Also happens at the track after the burnout and almost stalls the car. I have tried turning off the meth thinking it was that but it is not. It just makes the car crappy to drive on the streets with any boost, its either no boost or blowing the tires off and no in between. My main goal was to replace this with something similar that wouldn't surge. I can only run down to a 7.35 at the track without a cage and I don't want to cut this car up it to nice for that. I guess if I did get a 6262 and it sucked with my converter I could always save up for a converter.
have you tried going to a larger ar?

Danster

Nov 26, 2001
Plano, TX.
So I had this same issue with my TA-49 but not as bad as I read here. I believe a guy name Bruce (RIP) who was a member a while back recommended the Tornado. Goes right before the Turbo inlet. It worked for me and others as well. Not sure if it is still sold these days? But might want to look into it. It's still in my car, I don't drive it much anymore.
Folks were afraid that it might fall apart and go into the Turbo. Well after all these years I have not had any issues with it. I actually forgot about it until I read this post. Might need to check it out, curious now. But I can say I have no Turbo issues/noises, etc. I've raced with it in there and can report no issues.

Dannyo

hensleyt

Feb 20, 2008
Hawaii Big Island
My 5857 BB S cover turbo has none of the symptoms you have described. I chose it because like you I was not going to put bar in the car. My wife and daughter drive the car with no drama.
I started with no tuning skills and got the car 12.90 first year , stock heads and converter,206-210 FT cam and Alky . And 12.0 the next. Pathetic I know.The car today has been 11.3 @120 and wife and daughter can still drive it.
The 49 is a great turbo and your surge may be tuned out. Has it always been like that?
I would think a exhaust leak could cause that too.

Nigel

Jun 16, 2001
Nassau, NY
The 5858 doesn't surge like the 49/44. A speed density vs a MAF set up would eliminate most of the effects from surge(surge would still be there). Your performance goals are easily met with a small turbo, I agree with the advice Jerryl gave you. You could send your 49 to Bison and get an upgraded compressor wheel and take care of the surge that way. I bought my 5858 used otherwise I would have went with an upgrade from Bison. The tornado solution is interesting, it is simply adding inlet guide vanes that impart some swirl on the air entering the compressor thereby improving the aerodynamics. Like anything ultimately you want to be satisfied with your choice, and a converter will play just as big of role in how satisfied you are when done.

Pronto

Chaos is a ladder.
Dec 9, 2002
Nashua, NH
Surging is a pita. I had it with my old gt6131. I tried the Tornado and it helped. I eventually went to a larger turbo and the surging went away. I understand the ported housings also help with surging. You might check out some of the smaller billet turbos with a ported housing. I've seen some people getting good results with them.

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Oct 31, 2007
I remember seeing this a while ago:

Guy talks a bit too much, but still interesting.

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Sep 16, 2015
New Albany , Ms
Help me understand surging , is it when your at half throttle and it wants to bounce back at forth OR when going to WOT it takes about a half a day to get to your set boost level ? I guess I'm really lucky as I have never experienced that with either of our cars .

Nov 14, 2005
Amherst,NY
Help me understand surging , is it when your at half throttle and it wants to bounce back at forth OR when going to WOT it takes about a half a day to get to your set boost level ? I guess I'm really lucky as I have never experienced that with either of our cars .
Its when you are at part throttle,

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Dec 14, 2004
Houston, Texas
Only when we thoroughly understand the "why", can we determine the "how".