General Block, Head, Crank (Core) Inspections?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Seeking advice on inspecting Buick V6 Blocks, Heads, Cranks, etc. Typical pull up to someones place that you've never met, type of parts inspections. I know some of the basics that apply to small block Chevy. What are some Buick specific issues should I look for?

Thanks.

a flashlight and magnify glass will show you all you need to know if your eyes are still good haha just teasing , but get to know them first , funny thing is ive learned in life most people from the north ask what do you do and people from the south ask where are you from , you will know in the first 2 minutes
if they are " good people" and if they are car guy bc you are one and " it takes one to know one " LOL

Located in an area near where I lived about 20 years ago. The area has completely changed since then. I might know this guy's house, but probably don't know anyone who is there these days.

Engine has been disassembled & stored in shop since. Covered with dust/dirt.

PS. The eyes ain't great, but I can squint.

take a friend brudda , money talks if not clean and presentable !!!

Not concerned about security & the price is agreeable. Just don't want to end up with something I cannot use properly.

I hear ya maybe one of the gurus with more technical knowledge will have some wisdom , just looking out :cool:

all I know is if it hasn't been hot tanked and magna fluxed on the block or heads no way of really knowing 100% heads need to be pressure checked as well . as far as crank unsure , but in the end trusting what seller is saying about and providing info is key , GL JM

Well... First time I've seen the Buick V6 short block in front of me.

These things are tiny! :eek:

They can be carried by hand. :ROFLMAO:

Being an automotive machinist the only way you can tell is by having everything magnafluxed.

Casting number 109 and 20 bolt pan, will be 17 in the block, oil return in block will be a turbo block and crank will have grooves in rod and mains. I look for NA block because I’m not going to use a old crank and rods. Heads remained is 75% cost of Champion CNC ported.
Intake and valve covers oil pan accessory bracket worth more than block and heads.

Yes it’s there no drilling or taping NA blocks always will need boring but .010 gets it most of the time

My recommendation for any of these 3.8 blocks is to have the cylinders sonic checked before boring...as some cylinders are closer to the water jackets than others. Always stay as close to standard bore as possible. I picked up a used built short block. I ended up cracking a cylinder...had it sleeved...cracked another cylinder...had it sleeved...and when I cracked a third cylinder I gave up and tossed the block and kept the rotating assembly.

Can N/A Blocks be fitted for a Knock Sensor?

They already have knock sensors. The only difference between it an a ''turbo block'' is the return hole is drilled and tapped.

....and they've only seen 20hp per hole their entire life.

Seeking advice on inspecting Buick V6 Blocks, Heads, Cranks, etc. Typical pull up to someones place that you've never met, type of parts inspections. I know some of the basics that apply to small block Chevy. What are some Buick specific issues should I look for?

Thanks.

Verify it's a 109 casting, then roll the dice based on price.

...because availability is long gone. You're looking at a piece of iron that's at least 1/3 of a century old.

Example: Last week I drove so far into Aladamnbama that I lost satellite signal to buy an N/A engine. When I got home the cylinders have a lip at the top and the crank didn't have rolled rod journals... Woe is me!

So... I ended up with a couple of N/A Blocks & a Hot Air Block. Couple of sets of Heads, 14 bolt Oil Pans, Cranks, couple of Hot Air ECU & misc other parts. I will have part #'s & better info in a few days.

Quick & dirty bore measurements with cheap digital calipers range from 3.8235" to 3.828".

Measurements were taken at top of bores 90 degrees from centerline.

A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpg

Supposedly this Block was bored .030" & ready for reassembly when the project was abandoned. Too bad it wasn't oiled & bagged.

B1.jpgB2.jpg

Unfortunately the Main Caps were not numbered.

This one has had the Main Caps loosened, etc. Who knows if they are in the correct order any longer. At least it has a "healthy" layer of grease to possibly protect it.

C.jpgC1.jpg