GENERATING Interest: GNX DASH group buy.

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
tn_87004-03.jpg
I have just contacted a company that makes a nice product for other lines of cars, when contacted they were receptive to a group buy for a custom order, but not creating a new product line.

This would be an update on the older aftermarket clusters but with an updated indicator light and information light set up.

Here is a link to what they make for the 87-93 Mustang it is VERY close to what we would need to fit the GN.
http://www.newvintageusa.com/87-93mustang.html

The specs would be for a six gauge cluster; gauges two: 3 3/8 speedo and tach, and four 2 1/8 fuel, water, oil, and boost vac The choice would vary between black and white face and electrical and mechanical.

More than a "I'm in" would be required... do not post here unless you were willing to make a deposit at the time and have paid up to $1000. for the finished product. AND then still have to do some installation sorting to get the finicky VSS, tach, to work etc.

I'm not trying to scare people away, but I'm not trying to say its a plug and play either when these cars have always had issues with aftermarket retrofit of gauges. This is in the beginning and planning stages and I wanted to see if there were any other serious customers.

questions:
How many people are needed to get the project?
Realizing they all need to be produced alike for production efficiency - are we stuck to the gauge configuration you mentioned or can we vote on which gauges for them to be able to produce them all alike?
Would they consider making different configurations for each individual?
Have you gotten firm pricing for each gauge panel electrical vs mechanical?

Good project idea, look forward to hearing more.

Actually 1 person is all that is needed. It will start as a "custom" order and then if multiplied will be quicker and should be cheaper I mean the more we get the better the price... I am sending an old instrument cluster pod, dash bezel, and a complete AVC GNX dash to the company for them to come up with a design. It will take a few weeks.
I think since it will be a small batch custom the configurability should be high.
But my correspondence with the company has been good so far, I have sent pictures and they were confident that they could make a much improved version of what is common out there right now there is NOTHING other than custom.
I will not get pricing until my unit is sent and they can assess what is needed. The $1000 estimate was from the Mustang clusters.

I have a suggestion (as I'm sure a lot of people do)....if the company built one and you could display it at a Buick event, you might get more orders. BG isn't until October but there are others thru out the year. then as people installed them we could get some feedback which hopefully would lead to more sales. Maybe you could get a commission on each one sold!

Im definetly interested in the set up you mentioned .. Please keep me posted I would buy once everything is all worked out and can get a better look at the finished product ...

Do they make there own gauges? Or are they using a known manufacture? Curious if it would be available as a DIY kit to people that already have gauges but maybe want the updated style warning lights and mounting panel?

I will be sending all the stuff they need to do a dash out on monday. This company provides their own gauges and is an OEM supplier.
I asked about a ball park price and for a custom job like this with back lit premuim gauges it was around $1000 but for rim light ones $799.

I am interested as long as this assembly closely resembles the GNX unit, and cost and warranty is reasonable.