gn springs

butch2000

I want to replace the tired springs in my GN , but don't want it to end up looking like a 4x4 , what are you guys using as replacements ?

I have a set of springs I took off my '86 with between 8k and 10k miles on them. Almost NOS???
I picked up my car from the dealership July 10, 1986 after a two month wait. The car wasn't driven between mid Septembers to mid Aprils due to Midwest winters.
The summer of '88 I replaced the stock springs with ATR performance handling springs and the stock springs have been in the basement unloaded ever since.
I'm thinking $100 shipped in the great 48 and I'll cover the PayPal fees as well.

Send me a PM if interested.

Cheers,
George

does it handle better with the upgrade ATR springs ? did it lower the car with those ?

It already handled very well due to the Herb Adams/ Moroso sway bars on the car, 1 5/16" solid front w/ spherical rod ends instead of end links. 1 1/2" solid rear attached to the lower control arms.
With the ATR springs (stock height) I felt the front was just a little soft even after I installed bilstiens on the car, as compaired to a new Trans Am at the time.
I wanted the car to follow the dips better with no float.

After many, many hours of searching I found some very educational posts by charlie f1, jdpolzin and scot w (GNS performance).
It seems that the stock springs sag about an inch over the years, so installing 1" lowering springs make it set the same as it does now.

I have since sold the ATR springs and installed the UMI performance 1" lowering springs, 600lbs front and 130lbs rear (still in the air for other upgrades and maintenance.

Just for reference the stock TR springs are 421lbs front and 122lbs rear. (Edited rear spring rate, was 118)
ATR (Applied Technologies and Research, now out of business) didn't make their spring rates known, but compairing wire diameter to the stock and UMI, I'm guessing 540- 550lbs front and 125lbs rear.
I'm sure the ATR springs had sagged a little as well.

I am looking forward to neutral steering again, I had 255/50-16's all around with the ATR springs and could slide through curves with the front and rear sliding equally, very easily controlled.

When I went with 17 in wheels I put 255/40-17's front and 285/40-17's rear and have had oversteer (rear sliding more). The stiffer front springs will hopefully even things out and will firm up the front.

This is what the car looked like with the ATR springs.
IMG_1865.JPG

Stock springs I have.
IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

Last edited:
I like the stance of yours , was looking at some of the hotchkins stuff , says 1 inch lower then the stock original height

I like the stance of yours , was looking at some of the hotchkins stuff , says 1 inch lower then the stock original height

Thank you. Yes, 1" lower than stock original height when brand new.
I suppose in some cases with really smashed stock springs 1" lowering springs could raise the car up a bit.