good bang for the buck harness?

haywire4130

Can anyone recommend a good bang for the buck harness? Im getting ready to install my rollbar and a harness is the last piece of the puzzle that i need to buy. Rather than just buying the first cheap one i see i'd appreciate anyones input. Ive noticed there are a bunch of different kinds of buckles available, some look more complicated than others. Since i dont really have a local speed shop that i can go play with them, and no friends with caged cars im kinda in the dark. Thanks!

none of the buckles are very hard to work at all... you just need to figure out the mounts.. are they mounted to the roll bar? are they bolted or wrapped around.. and a camlock is easier I think but costs much more.

Last to think about is recertifying the belts.. if you care, than buy a set that you can recert.. if you don't then go for at least a decent brand to make sure you have some safety.... anythign with a sfi cert should be fine.

i run the rci cam lock platinums (9210cpl) ,the silver belts look good in a GN and the camlock is so much easier to get the belts latched in .
cost wise they come out almost as cheap as the latch style (latch are 79.00)
per nhra all belts are only good for 2 years from manufacture date
the latch at 79 would need a redo after two years and thats 60 bucks
the platinum go for 139.00 but youll get 4years from them come with a free recertification form so after two years when your belts expire send them in with 20 bucks return ship and they will reweb the belts and youre good for another two years
after that you could have them redone through their standard reweb service for 60 bucks

if you dont have a tab tobolt the shoulder straps to the rear cross bar and you chose to wrap the belts around the rear cross bar ,the rules say you need to have them so they cant slide around ,
the side belts i bolt under the existing seat belt bolts (i still have my OE DOT belts for the street because most harnesses are only SFI not DOT approved ) . the sub belt doesnt have to go through the seat if its the original seat but it should be fastened through the floor with large washers and attach point should be positioned under your butt

Last edited:
Thanks guys, thats exactly what i was looking for. The reason i wanted to get one first is so i can set up mounts on the crossbar so i can do all the welding during cage install. Would it be better (or nhra legal) to drill holes in the crossbar and weld in threaded bungs to mount the top belts or should i just weld tabs and use a nut and bolt? I think bungs would be cleaner looking.

what i did was took an old harness adjuster plate (the one with two slots) and cut the middle bar out leaving two slotted plates

i welded those to the rear crossbar on the back ..and then the belts just loop around the bar through those plates . meets the NHRA rules for keeping the belts from sliding and they were free

Attachments

• 0424151252.jpg
    0424151252.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 168
Aaah i see, looks clean! What is the piece u bolted between them, headrest brace? Im long and lanky, pretty sure my seat will be damn near touching the crossbar

Maybe wire draw pulls? They are just to keep the belts in line. Think that is the brace for racing seat.

yeah thats a brace for the kirkey pro seat, nhra required with aftermarket seats
my rear bar was set back for more leg room , room i dont need

I went ahead and ordered the rci platinum camlock harness per your recommendation, i will post pics when its done! Thanks for your help :)

Received my rci harness friday, thing looks sweet and the camlock is super simple to operate, very pleased! Just waiting for the temps to drop to a little more welding-friendly level to get assembling! Thanks for the input! :)

i run the rci cam lock platinums (9210cpl) ,the silver belts look good in a GN and the camlock is so much easier to get the belts latched in ...

My G-Force belts expired and I like the idea of switching to RCI. The number you posted is for a "pull-down lap belt". I don't recall having to make that choice when I bought the G-Force belts, but I assume we're pull-down? Thanks!