Got my engine back - couple of questions

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I got my engine back today. It's basically the same as it was (.040 overbore, forged pistons, stock crank, billet mains) but has A LOT more head work done to it. Lots of porting and bigger intake valves.

The engine guy strongly suggested more fuel than my single, in-tank Walbro 340 can deliver. He suggested an aftermarket puller pump. What do you all recommend in that regard?

Second is that I need some flexplate bolts. What size are the stock ones? It looks like the 7/16-20 bolts in the .680" length come up on the Summit Racing site. Are these correct?

Thanks,
Jim

I would suggest a double pumper for a street car. Thats the setup I am switching to. Its not as loud as the external pumps and it just drops right in the tank for an easy install. A double pumper would be more than enough I believe.

What type of power you planning on producing? What turbo?

Ever going to add some race gas and go BIG on boost?

11sec and higher, Id say your golden.

A fuel pressure gauge will tell the story.

I had a double pumper. Sending unit was broken on all three I tried. Had no idea how much gas was in tank. I guess I'm unlucky.

I've heard plenty of stories of 2nd unit not working and you really don't know if it is or not.

My vote is to stick with single in tank, or go external if hitting the track often.

How about just changing your fuel filter....I did every 12,000 miles.

What type of power you planning on producing?

What turbo?

Ever going to add some race gas and go BIG on boost?

11sec and higher, Id say your golden.

A fuel pressure gauge will tell the story.

Yes - race gas and big boost (25+ PSI). I'm shooting for mid-10s. I have a Turbonetics 70MM BB turbo. I have a fuel pressure gauge and it did not appear to be falling off in the mid-11 second range, but with the work done to the engine this time around he's suggesting more fuel.

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have a much more aggressive, roller cam this time around too.

external.....live with the noise.

Leave tank where it is and add inline external.

Probably same price as double pumper.

The Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump is still a good idea if you don't want noise.

(trying to talk you out of double pumper)

or......add an alky kit and your done! Don't even need race gas now;)

There's your extra fuel AND octane!

K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple Stimpy.

renandstimpy.jpg

or......add an alky kit and your done! Don't even need race gas now;)

There's your extra fuel AND octane!

K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple Stimpy.

I already have an old-school SMC kit. Seems to work fine. At the track, however, I run race fuel. The alky is a crutch for street use.

Thanks,
Jim

external.....live with the noise.

Leave tank where it is and add inline external.

Probably same price as double pumper.

The Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump is still a good idea if you don't want noise.

(trying to talk you out of double pumper)

I was thinking of this same boost a pump concept it looks like it will work great .. look at the kenne bell web site under the boost a pump. I have alky single razor nozzle, however GRUMPYS runnin a single intank pump with DUAL nozzle razor alky, & he ran low 10s all the time and busted a 9.9? somethin once. Bison told me over 125mph got to get another pump. however thats without alky and the boost a pump.. i think the BAP is around $275. and it wont heat your fuel it just boost voltage to your pump as you need it with a knob and puts out up to50%!!!!:eek:

Fuel pump is all about MPH/Power so if you plan on straight gas go double or external.

But I don't see why you'd run straight gas at the track if you already have alky. 110 and straight meth is better than C16 and it will lessen the load on your pump with 110 being $10 a gallon cheaper.

Tried many double pumpers. All had problems.
Someone told me the tank was to blame.....so I bought a friggin new tank (pie pan type).

Still sending unit was hanging up or poor electronics.
Hate the double pumper with all my heart! Waste of time and money for me, but some love'em, I'm just one guy out of thousands of users??
How would you know if the second pump is working or not??

Good luck and have fun!

Fuel pump is all about MPH/Power so if you plan on straight gas go double or external.

But I don't see why you'd run straight gas at the track if you already have alky. 110 and straight meth is better than C16 and it will lessen the load on your pump with 110 being $10 a gallon cheaper.

I just find it's easier to tune with straight gas. Plus it's one less thing that can fail and take out my engine.

What sort of external are people using? Do I need a separate controller? Different regulator?

Thanks,
Jim

Which brand double pumper failed on you three times?

I think they all are made from the same guy, but sold many places.
R3d Armstrong. Maybe ATR made them also?

I got so pissed at many things I just sold my GN. Cotton tried to fix it 2x.
(That's where I bought it. He installed a new tank also, but more wasted $$ and time)
I tried to fix it, another shop here in Richmond tried. I think it's still broken somewhere? Ahhh great memories!

So I've been perusing threads on external pumps and it looks like at a minimum people go with bigger feed and return lines, a fuel cell, fittings, filters, etc.

Can't I just cut a puller pump into the existing lines to get some more volume?

Jim

We have built many mid to low 10 sec. GN's using double pumpers that are reliable, and have with no problems with fuel delivery. This is true with the ATR unit as well as Red's. Like with a single pump, sometimes a pump fails.

If you get into the nines, figure lots of other fuel system mods, including lines, for long engine life.:)

As far as bolts for the flexplate to crank, my local GM dealer parts dept. carries them.

We have built many mid to low 10 sec. GN's using double pumpers that are reliable, and have with no problems with fuel delivery. This is true with the ATR unit as well as Red's. Like with a single pump, sometimes a pump fails.

If you get into the nines, figure lots of other fuel system mods, including lines, for long engine life.:)

As far as bolts for the flexplate to crank, my local GM dealer parts dept. carries them.

Nick,

Thanks for the info. My local GM parts department wants me to buy a pack of 20 of them. They're not that expensive, but I don't need more random junk clogging up my garage. I'm going to get them from the local speed shop but I wanted to see what size they were. I think the SBC bolts are the same so that's what we're going to try.

I don't anticipate 9s any time soon, if ever.

Jim