Gun owner convicted for rifle malfunction

Ur damn right is a crock of Sh**, talk about total Goverment control, lets all take up arms and show them who put them up in power in the 1st place, i guess they have nothing better to worry about like the economy, instead they pull crap like this, we are losing our freedom slowly and if we let them soon we will have no place to go..

I think he's appealing the case. He better win the appeal because if he doesn't then there will be a LOT of pissed of gun owners taking the issue to the streets. The NRA should definitely deal with this issue.

My old Remington 1100 shotgun went full auto for unknown reasons at least 2X when quail hunting. Also I was working in a store selling guns and had a customer return a Marlin 22 auto for repair for that problem. Took it to the gunsmiths who did warranty work for Marlin and I was standing right there when the guy tried it in his in-store test room. Blapadablappadablappada!!!
:eek: < Cool! :D >
It sounds like to me that whoever broght these charges is completely ignorant about firearms. Any automatic firearm could do what that one did and probably it does happen hundreds if not thousands of times a year.

My old Remington 1100 shotgun went full auto for unknown reasons at least 2X when quail hunting. Also I was working in a store selling guns and had a customer return a Marlin 22 auto for repair for that problem. Took it to the gunsmiths who did warranty work for Marlin and I was standing right there when the guy tried it in his in-store test room. Blapadablappadablappada!!!
:eek: < Cool! :D >
It sounds like to me that whoever broght these charges is completely ignorant about firearms. Any automatic firearm could do what that one did and probably it does happen hundreds if not thousands of times a year.
If this case holds up,then a precedent could be set that says you could be arrested for such a malfunction.
It was the ATF that brought the charges. Just another gov't agency that doesn't know what they're doing. IMO they don't even deserve "Firearms" in the agency name. :rolleyes:

Someone had to have pushed the issue or there is more to the story than what is being told here. ATF (govt service) is inherently lazy by nature, ie.. follow up on a complaint, check weapon , confiscate if necessary and charge acccordingly. A town of 5k people...someone has an agenda IMO. Loaning any weapon is dumb in the first place, and an AR-15 is easily modified to full auto, which can be discovered by looking at the sear assembly, anything else is a malfunction and should be treated as such by the owner AND the courts.

A lot of things don't make sense but #1 on the list is who borrows someone's gun and goes to the range and fires 800 ROUNDS?!?!? :eek:

I'd fall asleep from sheer boredom if I tried that and if someone managed to stay awake long enough to fire 800 rounds through a gun of mine I'd be some kind of pissed.

I've got a feeling this guy and his friend are borderline nut jobs and that people were just looking for an excuse to nail them.

Do these people have a clue that some smi-autos will fire full-auto when they get to dirty!!!! AK-47's and AR-14's are known for this. It has hapend to me out on the range. My romanian FPK 7.62x54r has done this too. This is b**l S**T:mad:

It was kinda stupid to let someone borrow his gun,unless he knew him very well and trusted him a lot. I wonder if they meant 800 rounds total or 800 rounds in a single trip. It's pretty hard to believe he fired 800 in one trip. If this guy's conviction holds up,they it will be bad for many many gun owners. I don't shoot at many ranges and after this I will be hesitant to bring my AR and AK to the range. I don't need a range since I have my backyard. Good thing about living in the country.

I dont know anything about guns, but cant you modify it to become fully automatic?
Maybe the borrower modified it.

#2 someone had it in for this guy to turn him in.

I dont know anything about guns, but cant you modify it to become fully automatic?
Maybe the borrower modified it.

#2 someone had it in for this guy to turn him in.
Yes it's possible to modify it for full auto. You have to get a machine gun trigger group which is highly regulated in the first place. I highly doubt the owner modified it. If he had it for that long and this was the first instance of this happening with the weapon,then it was clearly a malfunction. The manufacturer of the gun,Olympic Arms,had some issues with those rifles firing multiple rounds accidentally but I read that they did not do anything about it. They used worn surplus parts which led to the problem. There was evidence brought up by the gov't in court that the owner spoke to someone that was trying to sell him a fully auto trigger group,but the owner turned it down. Another reason I highly doubt the owner modified it illegally was the fact that he was in the Army for many years and a National Guard drill instructor at the time of the incident. Why would a guy like that risk his job in the Army for the chance to have a fully auto rifle? It's ridiculous to think he would IMO.
Here's some links to other forums that have had discussions:
Malfunction = Machinegun = Arrest & Conviction - Glock Talk
Drill instructor convicted after rifle jams - 1919a4 forums
Felony Conviction for Malfunctioning AR - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!
If your gun malfunctions your a felon - Gun and Game Forums

dam! they are doing this shizz to a guy with 16 yrs of service :eek: , that sucks!! I wonder what the hell would they do to me if my ar-15 malfuction'd
i only have 8 years of service :eek FEAR THE GOVERMENT THAT FEARS YOUR GUN !!

I hate to say this but i have done 800+ rds through my ak-47:biggrin: .(got a 75 rds drum) When i go to the range or to my friends house we do an all day thing, we call it pis_ off the neaber party.With them styles of the guns it is way to easy to do. It was easy to buy 1000 rds of ammo at $100.00 and have fun ,but now the price of ammo, it is not so much fun.:frown: We as gun owners need to call our congress men and tell them what we think about the case.:p

I hate to say this but i have done 800+ rds through my ak-47:biggrin: .(got a 75 rds drum) When i go to the range or to my friends house we do an all day thing, we call it pis_ off the neaber party.With them styles of the guns it is way to easy to do. It was easy to buy 1000 rds of ammo at $100.00 and have fun but now the price of ammo, it is not so much fun.:frown: We as gun owners need to call our congress men and tell them what we think about the case.:p
It's really easy if you have a lot of people. Know what you mean about the price of ammo. Can't even find .223 ammo at a decent price. I used to find a box of 20 for only $5. That same box of 20 has since gone up to $7 or $8. Now I just buy M855 penetrator ammo whenever I can because it's some of the cheapest ammo I've found. Don't even get me started on .308 ammo. I rarely shoot my bolt rifle because it cost soo much to shoot it.
What kind of AK do you have? I've got an Arsenal SLR106FR. One of the most accurate AKs IMO,thanks mostly to the fact that it shoots .223. I can share ammo between my Bushmaster AR and the AK.

It's really easy if you have a lot of people. Know what you mean about the price of ammo. Can't even find .223 ammo at a decent price. I used to find a box of 20 for only $5. That same box of 20 has since gone up to $7 or $8. Now I just buy M855 penetrator ammo whenever I can because it's some of the cheapest ammo I've found. Don't even get me started on .308 ammo. I rarely shoot my bolt rifle because it cost soo much to shoot it.
What kind of AK do you have? I've got an Arsenal SLR106FR. One of the most accurate AKs IMO,thanks mostly to the fact that it shoots .223. I can share ammo between my Bushmaster AR and the AK.

Mine was a Romanian (7.62x39) but i had to sell it a few months back. (off work for 4 months sergery on the knee ) I did keep the drum for a future buy.:biggrin: Adout 4 years ago i got into reloading and molding bullets my own and thank god i did:biggrin: For the 223 i can do up a box of 20 ballistic tip for $4.50. as for as the 308 not shoure yet still have 900 rds of millitary left, but saving the brass.For the 38 spl i just did up 800 rds for about $75.00.